Tablets for GPS

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by trganey, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Iffykid

Iffykid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks I will try and find your post on recommended apps.
  2. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's post #84
  3. Iffykid

Iffykid Long timer

Oddometer:
    The direct link certainly simplified it.:clap

So I would also need to purchase all of these apps?:scratch navmii, MotionX-GPS, Galileo, GPS Drive, maps.me, Pocket Earth, as it sounds you use each of them for a different reason.
    At this time for the most part I would like to download and follow someone elses gpx files and ride that route/track or whatever its called.

Please remember I did say dinosaur:fpalm
  4. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not all of them cost money... most of them do have in-app purchases to add various functionality. You will want to try all/most of them to figure out what meets your needs. Most all of them will allow importing and displaying a GPX track. I am not aware of any that will navigate a GPX track (which is something I'd like to see myself).

I don't want to scare you off, but you have a pretty steep learning curve ahead of you... this stuff ain't easy and this is proven by a dozens of threads and hundreds of posts on the topic.
  5. Iffykid

Iffykid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Learning curve yikes, The simplicity of typing in an address on the 1450 or downloading a GPX track and then a following a line on a map is what I was hoping for. Perhaps my idea of using a gps is wrong/confused.
    griffo1962 likes this.
  6. griffo1962

griffo1962 Long timer

Oddometer:
    sorry, not gunna happen with the tablet except if you use Galileo or CoPilot or one of the similar "normal gps type" apps.

I have Motion-X GPS HD, Navmii, CoPilot, OsmAnd and Galileo on mine and have used all of them at one stage..........

for what it sounds like you want to do you may be happy with CoPilot or similar........
    rustytigwire and EmmEff like this.
  7. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now

Oddometer:
    Try "Here maps" for typing in an address and following a line.

I don't know what's available for Apple when it comes to track logging and gpx following.

As for this, it's only a cell phone if you stick a sim card in it and activate it. Otherwise it's a smallish tablet that has a built in gps antenna, and its easier to mount on the bars than a tablet.
    EmmEff likes this.
  8. Iffykid

Iffykid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I found a used iPhone 6 64gig for $200, I could use this the same as my mini 4 without a phone contract?
  9. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    typing in an address and following the provided track is the most basic of functions. google maps, viago, osmand, and similar will do that.

normally people want more than that, like plotting their own routes, importing waypoints/tracks, adding waypoints, shaping, and different map styles. that's where, just like standalone units, there needs to be more forethought.

yesterday i checked the red line on the screen when i wasn't sure which way was next. no recalulation, no voice prompts, no pings, no arrows, not even a map for the background image, just a red line. worked fine, had fun. i could have turned all that stuff on, but it really isn't needed at all.
  10. Dolly Sod

Oddometer:
    Yes. . Though, unlike an android phone, the iPhone will need a sim card installed (though I don't think it has to be an active sim card) the very first time you boot it up. After you set it up, you can pull the sim card and use it WiFi only.

I am not an apple or iPhone user, so hopefully someone who is in the know might chime in on this.
  11. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Since the phone is used this shouldn't be necessary, right?
  12. Swashbuckler

Swashbuckler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 2 cents - Bought a Garmin and angrily used that pos with its software for a couple years. I have been successfully and easily using my Iphone 6+ for almost a year now for motorcycling and mountaineering.

Hopefully some useful info:

-Airplane mode will give me days of gps usage.

-I use Gaia GPS: $20, but ridiculously simple. Gaia is so simple even I could use it! Downloaded the app the day before I did the COBDR and had the entire COBDR gpx file on it within minutes. (Lots of easy detailed "How to's" all over the interweb.

-Need to set a few things on Gaia - specifically the option to have you centered on the screen, or else the dot will move, but the screen will stay in the same place and you'll have to constantly move the map. (Can't remember the setting)

-Gaia needs to have areas downloaded prior to leaving service signal. I can download an entire 12 mile hike (including all of the surrounding areas for safety) within a minute or two. I think it took like 10 minutes do download the entire COBDR.

-I was never lost on the COBDR, but did miss a few turns off onto single/double track trails that weren't even remotely obvious.

-Tons of different overlays for Gaia that are free. Some are great for roads, others for hiking. There is NOAA, MapQuest, etc overlays

-Gaia is simple to save and record things into different files. I really mean it's simple to do without having to be taught it.

- (Map.Project-osrm.org) I found this link on ADVrider that brought me to a simple Google Maps styled website where I can easily design my own track and download the gpx file to gaia in a few minutes. It took me probably 20-30 min to create a 600 mile rt track trying to use dirt roads and trails that I've never been on. I used google maps to get an idea of where to go, and then used OSRM to make the same route. Some of the roads didn't connect like Goggle maps showed, but I figured it all out and was on my way! (I'd most likely have just gone into severe depression using Basecamp)

-I got the cheap $20 waterproof case from amazon (lifeproof without the world lifeproof on it) and it's been just fine.

All in all I'll probably get a smaller tablet to use on the bike, but my Iphone 6+ is overkill as it is.

Hope this helps!
    Jeffk185 and EmmEff like this.
  13. Dolly Sod

Oddometer:
    :dunno Can any iPhone users comment?
  14. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, I think if you get a major iOS update you do have to insert a sim card in to boot up. At least I seem to remember having to do it with an old 4 that I still kept around after I got a 5s.

Honestly, even though I prefer to use iPhones for my cell phone. I like Android for GPS apps. They just work better then anything I've found for iOS.
  15. Iffykid

Iffykid Long timer

Oddometer:

This sounds encouraging.
  16. Mariefred

Mariefred Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip. I was looking around for a GPS for the bike when I spotted your post. I found that an old wifi ASUS tablet that I've had sitting in a drawer gathering dust for years has in-built GPS, so I updated its software and bought Gaiagps. Perfect. The tablet slots into the map pocket of my tank bag, I can power it from the cigarette lighter (after 5 years of almost no use the tablet's battery is a bit knackered), and the touch screen works through the plastic window of the map pocket. All I need now are some of those things to put on my MC gloves to allow them to work a touch screen and I'm good to go.
    Swashbuckler likes this.
  17. Swashbuckler

Swashbuckler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Glad I could help.
  18. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    GloveTacts.com, they work better than anything else I've found. There's a thread in the Vendors area.
  19. Mariefred

Mariefred Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Look like just the job. My order's in.
  20. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    For anyone interested in using the iPad Mini 4, Lifeproof is releasing the NÜÜD case in mid-March. Spendy!

LINK