Tablets for GPS

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by trganey, Feb 19, 2015.

1. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    What was the name of this thread again? Oh, yeah - TABLETS for GPS.

I think the smartphone thread is someplace else. You could try HERE or HERE
    griffo1962 likes this.
  2. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now

Oddometer:
    Ah, shit thanks. Tablets must run on some other operating system besides Android and iOS.
    Albie and EmmEff like this.
  3. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    Tablets and phones are 2 different creatures.
  4. FTL900

FTL900 White and nerdy

Oddometer:
    Not very different... the ability to make a call is about all that separates them, and some would say not even that.
    EmmEff likes this.
  5. uk_mouse

uk_mouse Aquatic adventurer

Oddometer:
    What about phablets :D

Anyway, I'm thinking of getting a Samsung galaxy active tab to use as bike sat nav, but I'm still on the search for a decent mounting solution. It's too big to fit in a RAM finger grip, and the lockable Tab-Lock mounts are massively expensive, especially on this side of the pond.
  6. Dolly Sod

Oddometer:
    I know the ram x grip comes in tablet sizes, though I'm not sure it the most secure setup.
  7. uk_mouse

Oddometer:
    Which is why I'm still looking. Might just epoxy a RAM ball on to the back of the tablet :D
  8. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Yup, if you have a data plan you can make calls with a tablet.
  9. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Well, there's windoze. Oh wait, they have phones that run on that as well. N/M.
  10. Mariefred

Mariefred Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mine just arrived, stuck them on my gloves and I'm disappointed to report that they're crap.
  11. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Since you decided to quote my post, I would appreciate it if you would explain your 'review' of the product since I found them to be As Advertised.
  12. MotoChron

MotoChron Got Dirt?!

Oddometer:
    If you have a case with a belt clip, like the pelican I have for my Samsung Note 5 you could try this. I just removed the clip from the holder, and installed a ram mount to the back of it. Phone snaps right in. Not really weatherproof because the case is open on the bottom, but I put my phone in the tank bag when it rains.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. Mariefred

Mariefred Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How much explanation is needed? They don't work as advertised. Their ability to interact with a touchscreen is very hit and miss (mostly miss).

Happy?
  14. Dolly Sod

Oddometer:
    What device have you tried them on? Have you tried different gloves? Have you tried adjusting their postition the glove? Have you run a touch screen app to see for certain how they are registering?

"They don't work " is not a lot of information.
  15. uk_mouse

Oddometer:
    It's worth pointing out that newer devices might well have 'glove mode' - on my phone it's in the settings menu under Display.
  16. Mariefred

Mariefred Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For a couple of stickers that you put on your gloves that cost ten bucks "They don't work" is plenty of information. They should just work according to their claims and instructions, but they don't. I shouldn't need to re-engineer them or faff about coming up with new instructions or analyse them using a 'touch screen app' in order to get them to work. They should just work.

And for what you're asking, no one should have that much time on their hands, but if you insist. A Samsung Galaxy S4 phone and an Asus something tablet. Trying different gloves and changing position are not possible. Once they're on, they're on. And if they come off, they aren't going back on anything.

They were fitted according to the instructions and the packet says they work on everything (gloves and devices). But they don't.
  17. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't think my 'happiness' is the topic here. It's your inability to interact with your Capacitive Touch display. Just to be clear, I don't think anyone is doubting your experience. Since the GloveTact product seems to work for a lot of users just as you suggest it should, we're just trying to see if we can assist you in having a better outcome.

I don't seem to have any problem interacting with my iPhone 6+ even with my Winter Gloves on with the GloveTact on my thumb - easiest way to use touchscreen when riding for me. I can even use it to preform a Track edit using Track Editor for iOS - although, I don't think I'd give that a try while riding.

Maybe, as UK_mouse pointed out, you have your Display Sensitivity set to high.

If you aren't interested in our feedback, so be it.
  18. Dolly Sod

Oddometer:
    S4 has an increased touch screen sensitivity setting, have you tried it in both settings?
  19. mattadv93

mattadv93 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OzCRU and Dolly Sod like this.
  20. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    MsNG used a Samsung Galaxy 7", the older one with the SD port. Personally I have no real interest, she's the geeky one. It does need a 2amp usb socket, a normal 1amp phone charger usb will not keep it charged.
    I have only just replaced the phone that got stolen 3 years ago, with a $5 marvel.
    She has CoPilot on the Galaxy which is mostly ok. It says "Keep Right" meaning take a right exit, sometimes. We are adjusting to that. On occasion it has taken us off the highway, round the interchange, then back on to the highway. Huh?
    She has it in a shoulder sling old map case, so the waterproof thing never arises (yet). Those RAM mounts look like they could do the job if I wanted to see the shape of a road layout. Communication is still kidney punch though.
    All in all, mostly it gets used for finding specific locations like hotels, then the right road outta dodge in the morning.
    Mostly I like riding loose and lost. I still carry a couple of maps as I can then see at a glance if I want to bypass a town to the east or west, same with looking for squiggly roads.