Tahoe area & Northern Sierra recommendations?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by levity, Aug 26, 2005.

1. levity

levity nano-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Family is heading to biking (& hiking) nirvana! We’ll be staying at Donner Lake Sept. 2-9 and will probably ride some of the Sierra Hwys (4, 88, 49, 89, & La Porte Rd are favorites). Also plan an overnighter to the Mt. Lassen area.

I’ll be on my 650 V-Strom and would also like to explore some dirt roads in the area. Anyone have recommendation for scenic unpaved side trips? Any firsthand knowledge of Crystal Peak north of Verdi? Genoa Peak between 50 and 207?

Any locals (Truckee, Reno, Carson City) want to meet up? (Nothing too technical - I’m running TKC80s but it’s still a low clearance, top-heavy beast.)

Cheers, Larry
  2. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    don't forget 108.

staying at the state park? go find the old train tunnels to ride thru and go putt around on the donner ski park.
  3. dirtypumpkin

dirtypumpkin "Monster Truck Bike" Supporter

Oddometer:
    Soda springs road is very close to donner. 25 miles dirt double most of
    the way. Some rutts, not too bad. Ive done it a lot. If you hit it from the
    soda springs donner side, it starts just down from the original sugar bowl
    parking lot. Near a small lake with a lodge/bar and homes.

It will take you to where foresthill road ends. You can then go straight to
    french meadows, pavement at that point. Or go right into foresthill, also
    pavement. Very fun narrow mountain roads into foresthill, great veiws, etc.

If you go up from Foresthill, you will dead end. Right to french meadows (paved)
    or left on soda springs road (25 mile dirt double). Very fun route, I use it
    every once in a while to bypass the majority of HWY 80 to get to my buddies in Tahoe.

I agree with larry about the old train tunnels, very fun.
    Great veiws of Donner lake from there.
  4. levity

levity nano-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Larryboy - We try to include 108 Sonora (and 120 Tioga) passes when we visit Yosemite, so we'll probably stay further north.

We'll be in the bro-in-law's cabin, not the park. How do we find the abandoned train tunnels? The only ones I know of have tracks and are used!

kawidual - Great tip on the Forresthill-Soda Springs road. How's the dirt road from the northeast end of French Mdws Res back to Soda Springs (96)? Looks like a nice loop down from SS, over Bald Mtn to FH road, around the resevoir, and back up.
  5. dirtypumpkin

dirtypumpkin "Monster Truck Bike" Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cant remember the exact way to the tunnels, but its not too far off
    one of the roads near the sugar bowl parking lot. I remember passing
    through the tunnels and dropping down some double track that
    twists around and dumps you fairly close the the Chevron off of 80.

Never took the road to/French Meadows resevior so Im not sure
    which way would be best. One of these days Ill cruise over and
    check out the resevior. Appears to have a fairly large campsite from the website.
  6. Bill on bike

Bill on bike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Don't forget to check on PASHNIT.COM for places to ride. You'll need about two months to cover them all.

Bill
  7. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    i've only been there once and we came over from foresthill on dirt. the first tunnel is right across the street from the donner ski resort. it isn't gated or anything. 4 or 5 big snow shelter type tunnels. look for a trail after the tunnels that drops down the hill to the left. there is a gate at the bottom that is an easy get around. hit the pavement right at donner lake. ride around and see the sights. the ride back up to the tunnels is the fun part,fun jumps.
  8. RockyRaccoon

RockyRaccoon Found:Gideon's Bible Supporter

Oddometer:
  9. Hog

Hog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Larry: Out of Johnsville you can go west all the way to La porte 25 miles of bitchen dirt roads. Just turn Left at the Johnsville Museum go through Eureka state park along Eureka Ridge and then follow your nose west to La Porte you'll love it. Check out the new Mad Maps Back Roads.
    Dave in Reno
    05K1200LT
    05R1200GS
  10. levity

levity nano-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Keep it coming guys :super, we may have to stay a month.:ricky

Kurt - where do you pick up the road to Sierra Buttes? Loganville, Sierra City, or Sardines Lake?

Dave - the area around Eureka State Park looks like a rabbit warren of USFS roads. Fun play area, how do you find your way over to LaPorte? Looks like I'll need to pick up a good map.
  11. bsmjohn

bsmjohn bsmjohn

Oddometer:
    An easy ride Hobartmills rd or Hennesse pass just off 89 a few miles north of truckee go east up and over and down into Verdi [Boomtown a nice easy dirt ride] This area is my backyard
    Bsmjohn
    Ps We'll be hauntin this area this weekend