Tail of the Dragon Area - Where to Stay & When?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Dave in Wi, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Dave in Wi

Dave in Wi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Madison WI (40 Square Miles Surrounded By Reality)
    I am starting to plan a trip to the Tail of the Dragon area for this fall with my dad. My dad is in his 70's and is still riding, there may not be many chances for us to do this.

Where is a decent, inexpensive but roach-free hotel/motel to stay at in the area? I'd love to hear of folk's experiences in this.

I have not settled on a specific date yet, I'm thinking in September or October (weather should be decent right?) Are there any times to avoid? I do what to time it so we are there during the week and not on a weekend.
  2. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. BUZZARD II

BUZZARD II Old Geezer

Oddometer:
    Fontana Village is the best place to stay that's close. If you sign up for the Dragon Slayer's club you get 25% off the rate during the week. Say around $75.

Deal's Gap itself is kind of like a dorm. Steel rack bunks and lots of noise. But you are, right there.

Come on be a sport. Dad deserves a decent nights sleep.
  4. JustPlainDave

JustPlainDave ...just a monkey with features Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another nice little town is Townsend, TN.
    It's on the SW corner of the Smokies. Take the Foothills Parkway (a great ride in itself) across the mountain and it will drop you right onto 129. You can even ride down to Cades Cove (in the park) itself and take a gravel road from the Cades Cove loop down to 129 as well.
  5. speedracertdi

speedracertdi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fontana Village is very nice. Deal's Gap quiets down after 8PM when the restaurant closes. The locals sometimes make a mini super-moto track out of the parking lot on the weekends. Ultimately, things get dead quiet around 10PM.
  6. Dranrab Luap

Dranrab Luap E-Tarded

Oddometer:
    Tellico Plains TN has several nice motels. It sits at the foot of the Cherohala Skyway which your dad will like better than the Gap. Run hwy 28 from Lauada NC to Franklin. The half that's nearest Lauada is my favorite stretch of twisty road anywhere.
  7. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. Cosmic_Jumper

Cosmic_Jumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Republic of Dreams , Bureau of Dubious Reality
    There is a nice, but less-than-inexpensive Microtel in Robbinsville, NC a few miles east of the Dragon.

However, please be aware that Graham County NC is a dry county. You aint gonna get a beer no where, no how, no way on that side of The Dragon --either to go with your BBQ or to celebrate your ride.

Of course you could always BYOB and sit on the benches outside of the Microtel, or where ever you're staying in town, and manage to get one over on the 'Who Knew?' crew sitting there too.
  9. Rex Nemo

Rex Nemo horizon calling

Oddometer:
    It's in Cruso, NC, a little ways away from the Dragon, but I loved staying at the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground.
    http://www.blueridgemotorcyclecamp.com/
    They've got cabins as well as campsites, and the guy who runs the place is free with his tremendous knowledge of good riding areas in NC and TN, beyond the Dragon and more popular routes.
    Plus, the rocking chairs on the porch and the hot coffee in the mornings are a nice touch.
  10. speedracertdi

speedracertdi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Closest beer is at the dragon (on draught) till they close at 8PM or Fontana Village, I believe closes at 9PM.
  11. Dave in Wi

Dave in Wi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input folks, very helpful. I do hope to spend a couple of days in the area, doing the Dragon as well as the Skyway.
  12. Witold

Witold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The best inexpensive options are in Robinsville. There are hotels where you can stay for $35/night and they are not bad at all. Old decor but clean. Very close and convenient to the Gap.

The other thing I like is that Robinsville is a small town. You can walk to the supermarket. You can walk to some restaurants. You can walk to convenience stores. When you want to grab a bite to eat during the evening, it is possible to do so. If you stay in most of the other places mentioned, you are looking at driving many miles to do anything - you are stuck there.
  13. ReactorTrip

ReactorTrip glows in the dark

Oddometer:
    11PM, they make us shut it down. BOOO!!!! Well it's better than not being allowed to be a hooligan around gas pumps. We only do it one or two nights a month though.

I'm partial to DGMR, but I can sleep through a lot. Townsend is my second favorite. Cheap hotels and quick access to the GSMNP.
  14. sailer

sailer trained Cirus Bear

Oddometer:

BUZZARD IS SO RIGHT ABOUT THIS ONE

Fontana is a great place to stay. The most bang for the buck I have seen for accomdation in a while and i travel for work, if it was in NewEngland or up state NY it would be $250 a night
    nice and reasoable resturant that service good food, that you can walk to after you park your bike for the day. Laudry, gas, genral store, every thing you need is their. the deals gap resort (lol about the resort part) is ground station zero but that good and bad, you will be there to see (and hear) it all, all the time when you try to sleep or nap. hope you like sound of pipes.lol
    dom like is being nice, i have spent the night in better accomadating jail cells. if your 20 something you love it, if not, and you enjoy peacefull sleeping the Fontana is the place.

dont get me wrong it is clean, new and the staff is nice but the place is set up for the 20 something market, (in my opion)

the food there is the same as you will find in any summer camp, after the Navy, i try hard not to wait in line to get my food, for all three meals. lol
  15. chalaby

chalaby n00b

Oddometer:
    I stayed in Bryson City, which is nearby. There a little place called Lands Creek Log Cabins (828-736-2319) that caters to bikers. It's outside of town. I would definitely go there again.
  16. Yankee Dog

Yankee Dog Long timer

Oddometer:
    In Robbinsville, I have stayed at the Phillips Motel. Clean, not to much money, very biker friendly, walking distance to eateries.

http://www.phillipsmotelonline.com/

In Tellico Plains, I would stay at one of these cabins. Again, clean, not to expensive. A bit further to walk to town, but doable. Oh, no bars in Tellico, but you can by take out.

http://www.tellicologcabins.com/cabins.htm

Yankee Dog
  17. Dave in Wi

Dave in Wi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just an update (if anyone is interested), upon further review, I decided to stay north & west of 411 since we are coming from that direction. That limited our options a bit, but not too bad. We'll be staying at the Grand Vista in Vonore, TN. Just a hop, skip & jump from 129, scenic 360 and the skyway. I'm really looking forward to riding in the area.
  18. VelvtRide

VelvtRide i can haz a motrsykle?

Oddometer:
    I'd try to avoid riding the Dragon on a weekend - there are usually a ton of riders and always an accident of some sort.
  19. Dave in Wi

Dave in Wi Long timer

Oddometer:
    10-4 on that - we are planning on riding it on a Monday & Tuesday. It might be too much to hope that we will have it to ourselves, I just hope I don't hold anyone else up. :-)
  20. VelvtRide

VelvtRide i can haz a motrsykle?

Oddometer:
    More likely someone will be holding *you* up. :D Good choice on the day. :thumb