Tail of the Dragon Area - Where to Stay & When?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Dave in Wi, Aug 29, 2010.

1. halliwood

halliwood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    you should be pretty clear during the week, they haven't had to road open all the way through that long, and it seems to have calmed down because of it, and in Oct. it'll be a lot slower there, which is what I'm hoping for when I go down around the end of Oct. for about a week. and yea probably wont hold many people up, if you do there's plenty of pull offs to let them pass.
  2. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    As stated and not often enough in Robbinsville, NC
    Yeah, the area really clears out with the fall foliage season.

Coincidentally the start of the lumbering RV season . :lol3

Hopefully for you, the peak will be early this year.
  3. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    As stated and not often enough in Robbinsville, NC
    If you don't mind not being too close to town (Robbinsville) there is a small motel 1/2way between the Gap and Robbinsville on Rt. 28. I used to stay there before buying a place west of town. Much less expensive than Fontana if you aren't looking for all the frills, and are working with a tight budget.

http://www.mountainhomepage.com/tuskeegee/
  4. PFFOG

PFFOG Richard Alps-aholic Supporter

Oddometer:
    Western NY, further from NYC than 6 entire states
    +1 on Phillips, clean and well appointed rooms, Mom and pop operation and you can park your bike nearby.
  5. MrBob

MrBob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Iron Horse and Kickstand motorcycle lodges between the Dragon and Robbinsville, both decent places.
  6. Witold

Witold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is acceptable and I stayed here as well. Since the place is also a gas station, it is convenient. The problem is that if you so much as want a bottle of water, you'll be driving about 15 miles to get it. Not convenient at all. For the same budget price and quality of accomodations, I think Philips Motel in Robbisville is better...
  7. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stayed at Kickstand Lodge in June. We rode there from Nova Scotia and had gotten advice before we booked the trip. KSL was simply AWESOME. Just some of the amenities they provide:

1.) Cabins
    2.) Bunkhouse
    3.) COFFEE
    4.) Community Kitchen
    5.) Hot Showers with fresh towels
    6.) Laundry Facilities

The Lodge is run on a "Donation" basis, with the only set prices being the fees for camping and cabins. Mo, the owner is an absolute doll. She started the place with her late husband and cater to all types of bikes. There's always plenty of evening "rides" around the campfire and I will stay there again when I travel to the Gap.

Plus..Hellbender Road to 129 was an absolute Blast...
  8. Ron_Ces

Ron_Ces Aging Hacker

Oddometer:
    Walked into the restaurant at Fontana Village at 7:05 and they said that the general store closed at 7. Damn! Good news was that the waiter told me he would hook me up with a 6-pack to go. Never hurts to ask...
    Ron
  9. Shakeyhands

Shakeyhands Goober

Oddometer:
    What about Maggie Valley? Granted it's a distance, but the amenities there can't be beat. Nice hotels and killer BBQ.