Tailbone pain

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by ivantheterrible, Dec 3, 2017.

1. ivantheterrible

ivantheterrible Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    For the last couple of years I've had to ice my tailbone after returning home from any ride over 50 miles or an hour of sitting. It all started with a vstrom 650, corbin seat. I couldn't ride for more than an hour. Sold it and got a cb300f, liked the bike, but no aftermarket seat, and I couldn't take the stock seat, so I sold it. Now I got a dr650, with a seat concepts seat, and I sometimes use an airhawk as well. still the problem persists.

I'm a skinny guy, and I don't have much of a butt. So there's that. I'm willing to do some exercises. If anyone has tried exercise and found it helpful, I would appreciate any tips.

I've never tried any of the top shelf seats, and if anyone has any strong opinions/experience with them, I'd like to hear it, but I'm not keen to drop the $$$ just to find that it's of marginal help.

maybe it's the bike? For the last few years I've had my 'main' bike, but I've usually also had a vintage bike on the side. The last two, srx6 and a '82 gl500, have been the most comfortable. Things have changed a bit and I only want one bike (!) and vintage is a little more time consuming then I can afford at this time, so it needs to be newish (I don't have the money for a new bike) the old bikes had big flat seats, so I'm wondering about the new retro bikes. I'd like to hear any opinions on those if anyone has anything to share. With that said, I like the dr650 and would keep it, except that I can't ride it for more than an hour.
  2. Uke

Uke visualist Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Russell Daylong,

could be you.

I would have stayed with the weestrom and optioned for a Russell Daylong saddle.
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  3. ivantheterrible

Oddometer:
    yes, it is probably me. I'm getting older, and even sitting in an office chair isn't comfortable for any length of time. I'd hate to give up riding, but I can't enjoy it if I don't get this pain figured out.
  4. Daboo

Daboo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I get tailbone pain too. Not just on the motorcycle, but also on airplane seats and even long distances on car seats.

I've used an Airhawk and been fairly successful with that. The trick is to have so little air in it, you don't think you have enough in the cushion. But that's just a Band-aid on the problem.

The real cure for me, is exercise. Prior to two trips I did in June and July of 6000 miles and some very long days at times, I did a set of exercises I learned years ago in Squadron Officers School (USAF). The exercise that makes the most difference, is the situps. Anything to strengthen your core muscles will help. The situps tighten muscles that must connect also to that tailbone area. All I can tell you, is the tailbone never hurt.

Chris
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  5. ivantheterrible

Oddometer:
    thanks daboo, that's what I'm looking for.
  6. ivantheterrible

Oddometer:
    i've been doing some reading since I started this thread, and I think maybe the upright riding position might not be the best for me.
  7. Daboo

Daboo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Okay...two things.

First, the situps I use are where I pull the legs up tight to the chest. Hands go from the back of the head when laying flat, to grabbing the shins to pull up a little tight. It has a tendency to not only strengthen the back muscles, but also to stretch out the lower back. It's probably not recommended anymore, but since it works for me, I continue to use it.

Regarding the seating position, I've done a bit of thought on that over the years. (I like to know why things work, or don't work.) If I'm sitting perfectly upright, each time I hit a bump, the entire shock of the bump goes up into my spine. If I lean slightly forward, my rear goes up and down as it hits a bump, but the shock doesn't go into the back. I commuted on a Burgman scooter for several years. I found it great where I was sitting slightly leaned forward. On the Burgman forum though, it seemed like "experienced" riders always sat upright. So I changed the way I sat on the bike to be upright...and changed it within a day or two. I couldn't stand it. My back ached. Not the tailbone specifically in that case, but the back hurt.

I hope that helps.

Chris
  8. Hi-De-Ho

Hi-De-Ho Mad Scientist Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I read the original post by @ivantheterrible , my immediate thought was.....should have kept the V-Strom 650, and got an RDL seat for it.

I can tell you, from VAST experience in this matter, that the RDL seat...Russell Day Long seats....are designed specifically for this kind of issue.
    There are two reasons, or two kinds of riders, that buy RDL seats.....# 1: is the serious long distance/endurance riders...and # 2: are the riders that have physical issues, such as a bad back, coccyx issues, sacrum issues, lumbar issues, etc.

I am now on seat # 12 from RDL, and have documented over 1 million miles on their seats.....just ask them. When I am having a bad day with my back...lumbar issues complicated by spinal stenosis, my wife (also a doc) tells me to get on one of my bikes, and go for a ride. Not a 50 mile ride, or a 100 mile ride...but go on a 500 to 1000 mile ride...so that my back gets straightened back out. That is what an RDL seat does for me.

Just so happens that my gig in life "was" serious long distance/endurance riding, so many of my RDL seat have seen 1500 to 2000 mile days...really !

While "exercise" is "generally" a helpful thing, and can usually be a recommended item from most PTs and Docs.....in this specific situation when a rider has a boney ass, there are not a lot of "exercises" that can assist in this issue. The "sit" bones need some padding, and when the flesh and fat and muscle is not there to cushion the sit bones, it can be painful.

I will seriously recommend calling RDL and speak to Jay...tell him your specific issue. He owns a V-Strom 650, as does Terry Bradford, the owner, as well as a couple other guys in the seat building dept. (I also own a '17 V-Strom 650XT) Tell Jay all the intimate details, as the man has heard it all, and he is there to help you.

Also, contact an inmate here....Tewster2.....real name is Tim. He lives in North Carolina, just like you, and he has considerable experience with RDL seat too...so ask his opinion.

Bottom line....work with Jay at RDL....have them build a seat for you, on whatever current bike you have, or want to ride the most, and.....if that seat does not work for you....after you give it a serious try....then they will give you all your money back.

AND.....if there is ANY issues with you getting your money back..."I" will send the money to you myself.

WHY would I do that ? Again...12 seats from them, over a million miles on their seats, and not once have I ever had to ask them to make an adjustment to a seat for me...in the 28 years that I have been using RDL seats. I believe in their products, believe in the small RDL company, and have faith that an RDL seat will make you a much happier rider.
  9. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    One other thing, I've recently had a ton of 'tailbone' pain. Turns out it isn't truly tailbone pain but a combination of SI joint and Piriformis muscle inflammation.
    I'm recovering from an injury but targeted massage has done wonders to relieve that pain. Even very soft cushions did nothing to ease the pain, the fire, the numbness.

Anyhow, just something to check out. I'm getting treatment through physical therapy but deep tissue folks will know it and they are fairly reasonable for their services.
    Hi-De-Ho and ivantheterrible like this.
  10. ivantheterrible

Oddometer:
    I went to the Russell Day long sight and they make a seat for the dr650, and they look like very comfortable seats with the kind of support i'm missing.
    Uke and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  11. riggpigg

riggpigg Known,but not famous Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I also concur, RUSSELL DAY LONG....on anything.
    Uke, ivantheterrible and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  12. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    Hi-De-Ho, Uke and ivantheterrible like this.
  13. ivantheterrible

Oddometer:
    I bet that magic seat board would work. I ride in stop in go traffic enough that it wouldn't be practical for me, but I still like the idea.
  14. Hi-De-Ho

Hi-De-Ho Mad Scientist Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Actually, from a medical and physics point of view, the Craig Vetter Magic Seat Board would make YOUR situation worse. Because it would alleviate some of the downward pressure under your thighs, by raising them, it would canter your hip girdle to put more of the upper body weight onto your "sit" bones, making things worse.

Hey, I know Craig Vetter, personally, and he is a great guy. But if you look at those pictures in the link, and look very closely, many of the bikes they were trying the Magic Seat Board on already had Russell Day Long seats on them, because Craig was at a gathering of IBA riders.

For those that are not aware or informed of exactly what separates a Russell Day Long seat fro ALL the other brands......an RDL seat has a built-in suspension system inside the seat. It is exactly like the seat springs system inside the seat of the car or pickup you drive. It is designed to SUPPORT you, to support the gluteal areas of your butt, so that you are not putting as much pressure on the spinal column.
    ivantheterrible likes this.
  15. Süsser Tod

Süsser Tod Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm like that, believe it or not sportbikes are easier on my back than bikes where I sit upright. Just sold a naked SV1000 that I converted from SV1000S, I was terrified of riding that thing because of back pain. I need some forward lean, 0° forward lean just kills my back... But the tailbone is also problematic and I've found that bucket shaped seats that don't allow movement are the worst for me. I had a vulcan 900 and I almost dropped it once after getting off the interstate, stopped at a red light and I had trouble getting one leg down because of the pain in the tail bone area. Believe it or not, the flat seats of sportbikes and forward lean help a lot.
    Florida Lime and ivantheterrible like this.
  16. ivantheterrible

Oddometer:
    The most comfortable recent bike I've had was the srx6. Nice old fashion seat with just enough forward lend.

I appreciate all the feedback.
    CRP6001 and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  17. atomicalex

atomicalex silly aluminum boxes Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    For exercises...

Start with glut sets. Lay on your back and tense your butt. Hold for two seconds and then relax. Do two sets of ten.

Then do transverse abs. Lay on your back with your knees up. Tense your transverse abs and press the small of your back to the floor. If you put your fingers inside of your hip bones, you'll feel your TAs push out a bit when you tense them. Hold ten seconds (breathe'!) and relax. Do ten times.

Practice the transverse abs thing with everything you do.

Good core strength will help you manage the balancing that DS bikes can require. I have SI issues and I am not gifted in the butt department. The exercises help me to not make it worse.
  18. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pity you sold the DL. Saddleman make a seat which is almost perfect for your problem.

[​IMG]
    ivantheterrible likes this.
  19. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    I have the adventure track on the GSA and I can say that for me, it does nothing to help that problem. The channel is so shallow now, I still touch it. The originals were much deeper.
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  20. Mayomoto

Mayomoto Neuroatypical

Oddometer:
    Former pro saddlebronc and bullrider, have had my coccyx broken on 4 occasions. I have a Sargent on my KLR, good for 600-800 mile days without much complaint. Im also a trainer and coach, and have a body weight only core strengthing system that is very effective. I'm 46, and have an ass so perfectly round that British scientists use it to calibrate their instruments. You can target muscle growth in any specific area of your body with the correct movement and a little dedication. Core strength is good, but a big ol' J-Lo bootie is better. Feel free to PM me and I will detail some movements you can do in the living room that will heip in short order, only takes about 20 minutes, its free, and Ms. Ivantheterrible will appreciate the additional intrinsic benefits. Holler anytime man.
    ThinkMud, Xcelite and ivantheterrible like this.