Tailbone pain

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by ivantheterrible, Dec 3, 2017.

1. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    A friend of mine has back problems, and bought a Harley with forward controls. He says it is the worst thing he could have done, because he can't stand on the pegs for a quick rest. He loves the bike otherwise, so refuses to sell.

I concur that the Saddleman seat looks like a good solution. I bet if you talk to them, you can get it extra thick so your tail bone never bottoms out in the air gap.

[​IMG]
    ivantheterrible likes this.
  2. Xcelite

Xcelite Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had the saddlemen adventure track seat. It helped, but it was lower than stock height for my old KLR. Being 6'4'', I was more comfortable on my Seat Concepts tall/firm seat. It may be just me, but the more you squat, the more pressure you get on your tailbone versus on your "sit" bones.

If you are on the average or shorter side of the spectrum, it would probably work fine. The seat foam is pretty firm. I am on a KTM 950 now. I took an old stock seat, added several layers of a thick yoga mat, carved a similar canyon in the middle and had it re-covered. It works quite well for me. Sitting in most chairs is terrible after 15 minutes, but I rode 7 hours of mountain and desert trails this past July and my broken butt wasn't complaining any more than the rest of my body.
  3. ivantheterrible

ivantheterrible Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been working out regularly since this thread resurfaced. Though it's been too short a time to make any real changes physiologically, it seems to have helped. Also, I've been conscious of scooting back in the seat so i have a forward lean, but instead of holding myself up with my arms, I'm engaging my core. I've only tried this on my 20 mile commute, so maybe it wouldn't work on a longer ride, but this technique really works to take the pressure off my tailbone.
    High Country Herb likes this.
  4. Xcelite

Oddometer:
    Getting your core muscles jacked up will definitely help keep your posture up, which will keep pressure forward. Riding is fun. Exercise is no fun. But doing the no-fun thing more will allow you to do the fun thing more comfortably. Now if I could just follow that advice myself....
  5. molochnik

molochnik Cold Deist

Oddometer:
    When I got my DR I was astonished that a manufacturer would sell a bike with a seat that bad. I'd heard all the complaints but thought I could get through it. Nope. Even my 40 mile commute would cause me so much tailbone pain I thought I may have done some kind of permanent damage for how long it lingered.
    I bought the complete seat from Procycle and it's been fantastic. No more pain. I took a little adventure with some saddlebags and the forward strap that went across the seat was bothersome, but if my seat is clear, my ass is happy.
    Back in my Beemer days, Russell Day Long seats were and apparently still are the standard. Never owned one, but rode on some and they are nice.
  6. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought a DR from a friend. He had the stock seat and a gel seat. Neither was good for me , so I got a Seat Concepts. All good now. I have several seats for my 990. For long trips, nothing beats the RDL.
  7. ivantheterrible

Oddometer:
    thought I'd update this since I've got something to share.

I went on the longest (by far) ride I've ever done and had no serious problems. About 1400 miles total give or take, with the longest day of 647. Not a lot of miles for serious long-distance riders but as I said, I've never done nearly that many on a single trip. The seat made all the difference, as well as some exercise and regular stops. There was some general pressure discomfort, but no real structural pain (that kind of pain that you feel in your bones and joints that, in my case, linger for weeks or months) and zero tailbone pain.

The motorcycle was a road king with a police seat. The ergonomics of that bike with that seat worked out great.
  8. Xcelite

Oddometer:
    In the name of updates.... I had my tailbone surgically removed. 95% of the pain is gone for good. The recovery is out-of-this-world miserable, but it was worth it.
  9. BarrieCTaylor

BarrieCTaylor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lots of factors can cause your back pain.
    I used this site to see what my riding angle was before purchasing a bike.
    I felt maintaining a upright/forward lean balance caused less back strain.

cycle-ergo.com
    ivantheterrible and Traxx like this.
  10. ivantheterrible

Oddometer:
    Geeze man, that's rough! Good luck to you healing up.
  11. Xcelite

Oddometer:
    It's all in the past now. I regret no part of it. Life is so much better without that pain being a daily part of it.
  12. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m going to send this thread to my daughter. She doesn’t ride but has been dealing with tailbone pain for a long time. Doctors don’t seem to be much help but at least she will know she’s not alone.
  13. Xcelite

Oddometer:
    If it's chronic and she has tried pain management, physical therapy, literally not sitting down for several months, etc.... then yes, seek a surgical consult. It is absolutely a last resort that should not be turned to unless all options have been exhausted. I saw Dr. Kevin Gill at UT Southwestern in Dallas. He was great but there's no denying that the recovery is terribly painful and runs a high risk of infection.
  14. Juan Loboe

Juan Loboe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I cycle almost daily. When I started, I thought I would never adjust to the hard, narrow seat. Now I’m at 10 miles or more before I even think to stand up to give my sit-bones a break. And I often ride for more than a couple of hours.

Used to have some trouble sitting a GS seat for more than an hour or two. Not any more.

“Sit bones” (ischial tuberosities) are, of course, different from tail bones...but they will toughen up with some persistence. For whatever it’s worth to any future readers, I doubt more miles on motorcycle seats, no matter how board-like, will do the trick.

But cycling will. And it’s fun, too.