Taiwan - Riverbed & Mountain Ride

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by OutRecording, Mar 9, 2015.

1. OutRecording

OutRecording Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    (Originally posted in wrong forum mods. Deleted other one. Not a cross-post. Sorry about that)

I went out last week to check out a mostly abandoned aboriginal village in the mountains - Laochijia (老七佳). Another rider recommended I take a look. It is being/has been considered as a world heritage site:
    http://www.taiwanacademy.tw/article/index.php?sn=170

(scroll down to "Paiwan Tribe Stone Slab Houses" if you're interested)

I tried getting to this place before last year, but the roads were washed out from a typhoon. I had a crap motorcycle and didn't want to try the riverbed. The water was higher than I'd like to try at my skill level.

But in winter the water is a lot lower...and they rebuilt most of the road. :D

I still took the riverbed and came to a half-broken road that lead me up to the new bridge connecting the village:

[​IMG]

Nice view from the top
    [​IMG]

Shortly after the crossing I ran into this:
    [​IMG]

I guess no village for today... I didn't feel like using most the day to hike it. But here's an account of getting to the village if you're interested.

http://michaelturton.blogspot.com/2015/03/biking-to-laochiajia-slate-village.html

By pure chance, he went on the same day I did. We must have missed each other by an hour at most.

In the beginning there was a makeshift road in the riverbed. Lots of trucks are digging out rocks presumably for the concrete industry here. Eventually the road ended and it was all rocks from there. Though there always seemed to be somewhat of a trail to follow.

A short break under a rocky overhang
    [​IMG]

I'm WAAAAAAAY out of shape to be doing this kind of thing, but I still love it. Eventually though, my bike/tires/my out of shape-ness/overweight-body...couldn't go much further. So I left the bike...

[​IMG]

All that in just an hour and a half since the bridge.

Next time I'll bring less gear and have more appropriate tires. The stock Dunlop D605's aren't really the best for this kind of riding, though they did really surprise me at how well they handled the rocks. Aired them down to 10psi on the back and 12psi on the front.

Main problem was with how damn slimy those rocks were in the river; all rocks covered with a green slime. Standing was tough cuz I was all over the place in the water. Sitting and dunking my legs in when needed to stabilize was the only way I could cross effectively.

I ended up hiking a few kilometers before heading back.

[​IMG]

Found a few trees downed from a typhoon. Locals drag them out and sell them to wood carvers. They have a particular smell that's nice. I'd really like to see what they're using to haul these out.

[​IMG]

Wishing I had my bike at this point! It got real wide and open for a while. Perfect for riding. :(:
    [​IMG]

I wanted to go further, but was running dangerously low on water. It was really windy that day but the sun was hitting hard. I only had 3 liters with me. So eventually made it back to the bike with almost no water.

After 15 min or so of riding I came upon another rider. A really nice local aboriginal guy who gave me a bottle of water! We rode back to the bridge and he took me up into the mountains for some more riding.

I was dead tired, but he looked like he just started; I didn't want to ruin his fun...so off we went!

My new friend

[​IMG]

Here's a video compilation of the ride. Again, it was REALLY windy that day. So audio sucks a lot. I edited the audio a bit to reduce the wind noise volume. The vid ends with me driving through town and finding a 7-11 to drink a gallon of Pocari Sweat. (what a poor name for a good drink!)

Try HD 720p setting if you can...

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RXBrCTZgkxA?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>
  2. James Cook

James Cook O.H.M.S

Oddometer:
    Nice,just goes to show there is adventure where ever you are,just have to go and find it.
  3. Tom48

Tom48 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. AutoRoc

AutoRoc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice video, the trails looked great, you ride good, especially on the rocks.
  5. OutRecording

OutRecording Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The magic of editing. ;) but thanks.

I got jammed up on hidden rocks a few times going up/down the river. No falls though.

On a side note, I usually ride alone. This guy I rode with is in some kind of club who rides "hard and fast" as he put it. It was fun playing catch up. I usually ride slow - enjoying the scenery, hoping to avoid a hard get off... But riding with someone like that is a good skill builder. Might try that again. :)
  6. sirloynz

sirloynz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pulling up to 7 for a City Café at the end of the video? Thanks for sharing!
  7. NorthBayPete

NorthBayPete Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like a beautiful country. I'm jealous.