Taking a bike into Mex...that's not yours??

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by billy bee, Oct 28, 2004.

1. billy bee

billy bee AAdventurer

Oddometer:

I have sold my Transalp to a guy from the Dakotas. I am delivering the bike to Flagstaff from SoCal and he is going straight to Mexico with it. He'll have the bike, a clear title signed over to him, and a notorized Bill of Sale. Any chance he'll have difficulty getting into or out of MEX with a bike that is not yet registered to him? If so, any steps we should take to eliminate the hassle?

I posted this on the GS List and already got some unimformed replies. I need some clear insight here.

TIA,
    Bill
  2. Stephen

Stephen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes. Absolutely.

"Eliminate the hassle" ? NFW. Forget it. It's a hassle, though not a big one, if your paperwork is all perfect. We're talking about a bureaucracy here. And we're talking about folks who are genuinely interested in performing their duties--slowing the flow of stolen vehicles across the border (lots of pressure from Uncle Sugar) and ensuring that import duties are paid.

Start by talking with your local Consulado de Mexico. They can tell you what is required. Do not expect them to be flexible. Do expect them to tell you what documents you need. Do find a consulate that can actually issue the temporary importation permit--that's the thing you have to have--because such an office will REALLY know, and getting one there can prevent unpleasant surprises at the border.

Mexico requires a notarized letter from the owner of vehicles not owned by the operator. This includes bikes with a lien on them, for example. It is possible that such a letter from you might help. Your purchaser's semi-limbo status will likely cause some raised eyebrows if not red flags. Expect the first response to be a simple "No se puede." Polite perseverance might prevail, but be prepared for it to take a lot of time. Not because they're arrogant, but because, after all, they don't know you. The give and take and all the talk and hassle is partly a way to get to know you and decide if you are who you say you are and doing what you say you're doing, or if you're an asshole that they don't need. Indeed, it might be easier for you to keep the title and bill of sale, and give the purchaser a letter, as this is a familiar status. You might not want to do this; I don't know what liabilities this course might expose you to. I am not recommending it, just revealing it.

All that said, a friend did get the permit at the border without a title, partly because he bought his vehicle in a state that doesn't issue titles, and partly because he had a pink passport, but our trip could have been over right there.

Wait a minute...your names aren't Ewan and Charlie, are they? :lol3
  3. cyclecat

cyclecat half post a day wonder

Oddometer:
    Good catch, Stephen. Look at his avatar... he's definitely ONE of those characters from Star Wars. :lol3
  4. billy bee

billy bee AAdventurer

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm. Grateful, I am, yes.

Thanks for the info. Very helpful. We are trying to do the title work in AZ. If we cannot get that done, he'll go to the consulate for the temp import permit.

I was actually a litttle disappointed by Ewan's 1st episode. And I think they already showed all the good lines during the teasers. What's there to look forward too?

bb
  5. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    Good luck with the stolen bike! :lol3

Gordy
  6. bajarider

bajarider Mexican with internet

Oddometer:
    Mexicali, Baja Cfa., Mexico, Calexico,CA. US
    Mine has US plates, not changing owner´s name and I´m living in Mexico and crossed the border without problem every time I can. Not a big deal¡:wink:
  7. Greg Minor

Greg Minor The Trespasser

Oddometer:
    Go to Wickenburg AZ they have a easy little DMV where you should have no problem getting a title and registration on the spot I did my 950 there when I bought it from Indiana ( It was brand new though) I just made them aware of the fact that I had a second home in AZ (hint hint) but I wanted the registration renewal and the address on the title to come to my home in CA
  8. Greg Minor

Oddometer:
    Go to Wickenburg AZ they have a easy little DMV where you should have no problem getting a title and registration on the spot I did my 950 there when I bought it from Indiana ( It was brand new though) I just made them aware of the fact that I had a second home in AZ but I wanted the registration renewal and the address on the title to come to my home in CA
  9. Greg Minor

Oddometer:
    Go to Wickenburg AZ they have a easy little DMV where you should have no problem getting a title and registration on the spot I did my 950 there when I bought it from Indiana ( It was brand new though) I just made them aware of the fact that I had a second home in AZ but I wanted the registration renewal and the address on the title to come to my home in CA