1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Taking payment when selling bikes at a distance

Discussion in 'Canada' started by cmattina, Mar 11, 2021.

1. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    If they don't trust computers, how did they learn about your bike being for sale? Word of mouth? Print ad? Do those even still exist? Tell them they are wasting your time; they can either show up with cash or you can ship with an e transfer (sounds like what we call a "wire transfer" in the USA). End of story.
  2. cmattina

cmattina Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well,

Selling a dirtbike is about the worst kijiji experience I have had, in terms of idiots contacting me. Some elements have been good, with kids asking me to help them fix their bike (because i included rebuild pics in my ad). I don't mind that.

First dude seemed irritated that I "didn't trust him" to send him the bike. Then I told him if he came and picked it up he could have it for 3k (rather than 3300 delivered). He then claimed 3k was the delivered price. I showed him the text message with the agreed price of 3300 and he changed his tune.

The other guy just ghosted me when i was trying to figure out the best options to make the deal.

Good riddance.
  3. Vark

Vark Long timer

Oddometer:
    Scammers.

Anyone who asks you to ship them your item before they make any payment is a scammer. Commerce just does not work that way. They are hoping to find someone they can dupe. They even have tactics like playing the “trust” card that they use effectively on some.

Best approach is to decline and cease comm once they start playing the game.
    caramelgq and gpfan like this.
  4. matt.the.ogre

matt.the.ogre Fair-minded Villian Supporter

Oddometer:
    YMMV but I sort of enjoy wasting the time of true scammers. My logic is every minute they spend with me is one minute they can’t spend with someone who doesn’t see through their scam. Had a kinda fun interaction with a Craigslist scammer this week about selling an iPhone. Fake PayPal emails and all.
    Vark and ZoomerP like this.
  5. ZoomerP

ZoomerP Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If I'm in the mood, I turn it around and tell them I'm in the business of selling whatever bunk they sell, and try to close a deal with them.
    cmattina likes this.
  6. sturgeon

sturgeon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tell 'em you'll meet 'em half-way. In Ear Falls, for a cash sale.
    gpfan likes this.
  7. cmattina

cmattina Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, for all those that love the drama:

The guy who wouldn't send an e-transfer before i sent him the bike messaged me this morning saying he would drive and pick it up for $2800 (12 hour round trip). I'm asking $3300, and told him if he came and picked it up I would do it for $3000, which is what i told him last night. I gave him the option of me sending it to his door in two days for $3300 (no gas money or time on is part) but only if he sent me the money first. My offer was very fair and he was so irrational I was not willing to accept his $2800. Instead, I took a non-refundable deposit from a young guy and am holding it for him.

Normally i don't hold with or without deposits. But this kid was up front with me and confirmed in writing that the deposit is 100% non refundable no matter what. So... that's where the story ends.... i hope.
    B10Dave, Vikingtazz, rob1313 and 5 others like this.
  8. ZoomerP

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    motogoat and matt.the.ogre like this.
  9. atc250r

atc250r Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am in Canada, and I just bought a KX500 from Craigslist in Texas. Communicated thru the Craigslist Messages, then I got his phone number and called him. Talked about the bike, then we hung up and I called him right back with FaceTime and said I wanted to see the bike on video. He put his shoes on and walked to the garage and FaceTimed me the bike. I was then comfortable enough sending him a Western Union Transfer, and arranged shipping and he sent me the bike. Without FaceTiming and seeing the bike in his possession, I would not have gone forth with the deal.
    Mark96 and cmattina like this.
  10. cmattina

cmattina Long timer

Oddometer:
    That sounds like a very normal thing for several reasons.
    - Craigslist has so many scams, it is really unbelievable. i have bought and sold bikes in the states and I felt like 20% of ads were fake.
    - being so far away, recourse, legal or not, is impractical.
    - western union is the gold standard for scams

Believe it or not, in Canada, if someone "sells you a bike" that doesn't exist it's not "just a scam". It is fraud, and it is against the law. The police WILL investigate (though they will try to brush it off at first). E transfers are for Canadian accounts only, unless someone has a online bank bank account (tangerine), the bank account needs to be confirmed and matched to a real person. Tangerine too, but people can fake that. All of that is not speculation on my part.

Of course, if the bike comes and is "not as described", that's a different story and you're SOL. Or, there are other ways, I'm sure, that you could lose your money without legal recourse (he said, she said)

For my sale, I have a video of myself on YouTube starting the bike, offered FaceTime, and one can easily just google my name to see I am not only a real, LOCAL person (northwest Ontario is small), but also have a verifiable online presence.
    B10Dave and gpfan like this.
  11. Chad M

Chad M 14880

Oddometer:
    Just out of curiosity, how much does it cost to ship a KX500 from Texas to the MB border? Also, who did you use to move the bike?

I've often thought about doing this but the logistics often move the idea to the "to hard to do" pile.
  12. Rossland Rider

Rossland Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would either meet half way between your homes, that way you both have some skin in the game (time) or have him send you a deposit to cover your buddy's cost to go down there and back so if he doesn't take it he is out that much, your buddy brings the bike back but his costs are covered by the "deposit". Basically, if you both agree to have some risk assumed then you both have something to lose. If that doesn't work, walk away.
    ZoomerP likes this.
  13. cmattina

cmattina Long timer

Oddometer:
    That crossed my mind. But it's still awkward for buddy/acquaintance. Guy gives deposit, bike shows up and, to his perspective, it's not as described so he demands money back... If it were me, there in person, that can be dealt with, but I would not ask someone else to.

Either way, the standard is what it is. If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen.
    gpfan, ZoomerP and Vark like this.
  14. gepeze

gepeze Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No money, no bike. Most bike nuts will travel for the right bike. I am also from a small remote northern town. I've only bought one bike locally in the last forty years or so, I can't even imagine asking someone to send me a bike without paying.
    gpfan and Vark like this.
  15. Sparkle_Tooth

Sparkle_Tooth Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    In the future if anyone ever goes though this. I recently sold a Harley Dyna, and the guy that bought it was from NYC. I live in TN. We used a shipping company (Just PM me if you want the name or are interested) and the process was very smooth. I was skeptical at first but the process is:
    1. I sent the title to the shipping company
    2. Buyer sends the check to the shipping company
    3. Shipping company schedules a pickup of the bike from their preferred shipper
    4. Once bike is picked up I tell the buyer, and the buyer tells the shipping company to release the check.
    5. When the check is received (Check came within 2 days) I tell the shipper to release the title to the buyer.
    6. Eventually the bike is delivered to the buyer and the seller has the funds in their bank and cleared well before
    Spoke to the buyer the other day and he was very happy with the bike and the process, as was I.
    Bayner, ZoomerP and cmattina like this.
  16. ZoomerP

Oddometer:
    Escrow & shipping rolled into one service. Smart.
  17. cmattina

cmattina Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't LOVE your system because if the cheque bounces, who covers getting the bike back to you? I guess the buyer can pre-pay that amount?

With our E-transfer system in Canada, a buyer can send a password protected amount to the seller. The seller will get an email saying "Joe sent you X amount". The safest way in Canada to do it, is to send a photo of the bike on the truck the day of delivery, before the truck leaves, call the buyer and get the password. The money is instantly in the seller's account and then the bike is now the buyer's responsibility. Our e-transfer system is not like paypal. If the money gets deposited it's gone.
    gpfan and ZoomerP like this.
  18. cmattina

cmattina Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah! Geraldton and Red Lake have a lot in common that way. And you and I have the exact same way of looking at it.

Imagine telling a seller "trust me, i will pay you when the bike get's here". When I reflected on how ludicrous it was for the guy in Thunder Bay to suggest that (and dumb of me to accept it) I gave him the rather fair ultimatum (pick it up or pay up front).

The buyer in thunder bay has a lot of ads on kijiji, some of which you would recognize...
    gpfan and ZoomerP like this.
  19. Sparkle_Tooth

Sparkle_Tooth Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is a certain level of risk involved naturally, and you just have to trust you're dealing with a legit buyer. Luckily the seller gets the funds well before the buyer gets the bike so if things go sideways, it can be halted. Still someone has to pick up the shipping cost of getting things reversed I suppose. The buyer and myself did a conference call with the shipping co and they said in the 20 years they have been doing this they have never had a problem like that. It also helped putting some faith in knowing the buyer was somewhat legit.
    cmattina likes this.
  20. cmattina

cmattina Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, always best to build a bit of rapport with the buyer. i usually do a bit of internet sleuthing as well. (When i am buying)
    gpfan likes this.