1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

    Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

taking thai registered bike into Lao

Discussion in 'Asia' started by finzean, Nov 24, 2010.

  1. finzean

    finzean n00b

    Jun 8, 2010
    Hi, I imagine there is some information already on the forums,but my lack of computer skills is preventing me from accesing it.I have a Thai registered bike which I wish to take into Lao for a couple of weeks.So far I think I have identified a crossing point (Bun Kan) I need to know how I can obtain the compulsory insurance for riding in Lao and also what other documentation I need to have.I have been told that one requires some kind of Carnet for the bike (like a bike passport) One problem seems to be that there are no hard and fast regulations some people just sail into Lao on their bikes,whilst others are told to get lost!!! Can any one advise please???
  2. TurboCharger

    TurboCharger Been here awhile

    Jun 3, 2008
    Aussie expat in Switzerland half way RTW
    Hi Finzean,

    See my reply on the HUBB.

    You shouldn't have any issues, all the paper work can be done at the border. No Carnet is required for Thai registered bikes.
  3. TonyBKK

    TonyBKK Secret Soi Rider

    Aug 4, 2009
    The Big Mango, Bangkok, Thailand
    At some border crossings an official translation of your vehicle's registration book, aka Green Book for bikes and Blue Book for cars (called tabien rot in Thai) may be required. You can get your vehicle registration translated at any Land Transport Department office in Thailand. If I remember correctly cost is only 150 Baht for bikes.
    Ride On!