"Tale of Beers" Adventure rally

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by BigDogAdventures, Mar 22, 2006.

1. wayno

wayno Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks, sounds like a good time, get some rest....
    anxious for the report:lurk
  2. jsimmons

jsimmons Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good to see a few of you stop by Grass Roots to eat. Too bad I got stuck cooking all the food all weekend would have much rather been out riding. And yes ,I finally got the antenna in carbon cats bike. I did not realize that I would have to take the top triple clamp off and take it to a drill press to get the bolts holding the ignition switch out. Lost another day waiting on the bolts. Least ways it is the only one we have seen quit and apparently rare, as my service rep had not heard of it either. Of course as a dealership mechanic we are well trained on how to deal with these problems. We just tell you one of two things.” We have never seen or heard of this before" or, " they all do that, don't pay any attention to it, it is normal".
    But as soon as I clean all the serving dishes, return the rented tables and chairs, put up all teh coolers,etc and mow my 5 acres of grass I get teh rest of the day off to ride my 650. lots of rain and lots of mud around here so maybe I can get in a couple hours of sloshing around yet today. Up at 3:30 and hitting it already.
    Too bad it rained so that Big Dog could not come out. The last rider left Grass Roots at 6 pm Sunday night and headed straight out into hail and several tornado sightings on his way back to Mississippi.
  3. Buzzez

Buzzez Wind Powered

Oddometer:
    It was great meeting you John Simmons. That pulled pork you made up was outstanding! :tb :thumb

OK I down loaded some more pics but I really should be getting to work, so the captions will have to wait.

This is my favorite.:D

[​IMG]
  4. madcow

madcow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Kevin, thanks for showing us the trails around Ste. Genevieve and the levees in IL. That was my first adv. rally and I had a great time:thumb. I've posted all of my pictures here. I haven't had time to sort through them or add captions.

Here's a nice pic of you:

[​IMG]

Steve had a flat Sunday morning:

[​IMG]
    Thanks to him, I now have a better idea of what I need in case I have a flat.

The last picture of Leo sums up how fun the levees are:
    [​IMG]
  5. judjonzz

judjonzz Beastly

Oddometer:
    I'm looking forward to this report, too. I was in the neighborhood with some buddies. The weather had forced us to abandon plans to ride in the Black Hills, so we came to Missouri in search of sunshine. On friday, we had a fine day of trail riding in St. Joe park, and talked to the KTM team mechanics who were there early for Sunday's enduro. The gloom and wet on Saturday sent me back to MN a day early, but a few of the guys gambled and caught enough of a break in the weather to get in half a day at Sutton's Bluff.
  6. Buzzez

Buzzez Wind Powered

Oddometer:
    madcow,

I had a blast! :thumb It was great riding with you guys. I hope Eddy is doing alright today. :kurt I just went through your pics. Hope you don't mind me taking a few of them to post on my site. I'll post them here.

https://buzzez.smugmug.com/gallery/1416535
  7. Buzzez

Buzzez Wind Powered

Oddometer:

They done good going to Suttons Bluff area. :nod
  8. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well it was a Nuclear disaster for me this weekend.

I was working in this nuclear power house in Braidwood Illinois (by Chicago) and they laid me off 2 days later than they promised. When I got home the weekend was already shot for me.

Anyway---can't cry over spilt milk----I can't wait to here all the tails of rain and tornadoes -----bring it on:D

[​IMG]

I no longer need a tent light.
  9. SScratch

SScratch Somewhat Tolerable

Oddometer:
    The trip up on Friday was perfect. Cool and sunny, only about 300 miles total. I took the back roads all the way up and still arrived by 2:30.
    [​IMG]

And you thought my image wouldn't appear in mirrors. Who's the shtupit one now?
    [​IMG]

I stopped by Grassroots BMW in Cape Girardeaux but the big doin's wouldn't start until Saturday. I saw this nice Dakar that was in for a headjob. :huh Lotsa nice farkles but I think it has to be some kind of sacrilege to put Enduro 3's on Excel rims.
    [​IMG]

I took a series of the alphabet roads from Cape Girardeaux to the campground and staked my territory along the banks of the Castor River.
    [​IMG]

I seemed to be the first one there except for a couple of guys on a Valkyrie and an R100GSPD who pleaded ignorance of any Adventure Rider event. They had been coming to the Trail of Tears rally since 1982 or so and were determined to continue with or without a rally. A couple on a Goldwing said the same but didn't seem to want to associate with our type. :dunno

[​IMG]
    I set up my tent, built a fire and waited.

[​IMG]
    Eventually Chad, Roger and Jay showed up but so did the rain. We made friends with Jim in the trailer next to us and he started to play some old country and bluegrass tunes for us. Turns out he played with George Jones at the Grand Ole Opry a few years back. That's Jim in the middle, R100GSPD on the left pretending to play, and Valkyrie on the right trying unsuccessfully to keep up with Jim. 'Possum Lady is in the rear.

Eight of us met for breakfast in town then rode about 75 miles west to find the Tram Road. The rain gave us plenty of mud to ride in, and prevented anyone from worrying about getting wet in the creek crossings, of which there were plenty.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I can't understand how my camera got wet.
    We went back into town for some lunch while a little storm blew through. The wind knocked some trees and limbs down while we allowed our gear to saturate the once-clean restaurant. After lunch, Kevin lead us back to the campground on a variety of dirt roads that were every bit as good or better than the Tram Road. Lots more creek crossings as well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There were a couple of places where downed trees crossed our path. We were able to either move them or blaze a trail around them. This one we had to go around.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Eventually the Soggy Bottom Boys made it back to camp tired, wet and hungry. After a hearty meal of Ramen Cuisine I hit the rack.
    I slept in late, packed up my gear and hit the road. For about a half mile. I picked up a nail in my rear tire and had to unload the luggage and change the tube. Lucky for me a couple of pilgrims showed up to help. Without a centerstand, I had to lay it down to remove the tire. It was nice of them to hold the bike up while I got the axle back in. Thanks guys!
    My troubles weren't over though because I got sick as dog on the way home. It may have been the well water that I filled my Camelback with just before I left, I dunno. Anyone else lose about 10 lbs outta their ass on the way home? Sorry, no pics. It just added insult to injury after putting roughly 900 miles on a stock DRZ seat in 3 days.
    I hope y'all had at least as much fun as I did! :lol3
  10. CarbonCat

CarbonCat Long timer

Oddometer:
    why wouldn't he...
    [​IMG]

he just freaked out.
  11. Chadd

Chadd I live in the wrong place

Oddometer:
    Sorry but I am not much of a picture taker on the bike. I get too much into the riding to take many pictures, but here are a few I managed to snap.

Here is a pic of the 950 I snapped in Chester IL on the way down. Look how clean it is.

[​IMG]

A few shots of some water crossings.

Rogers KLR stalled out here and we were arguing on who was going to go help him out. We lucked out though and he got it fired up and made it through.

[​IMG]

Tootall decided to take the deep line to make it more exciting.

[​IMG]

Here he is smiling on his way out.. Glad to get through it.

[​IMG]

Here is a shot of Jay on the same crossing.

[​IMG]

Did someone mention a flat? This was one of two that shortend the weekend a bit. Well that and some nasty rain. You notice that the sun is out, one of the only times all weekend. I think it was just to make Jay sweat.

[​IMG]

Randy making his way across a neat old bridge we ran across.

[​IMG]

My poor 950 took a beating this weekend though. I had my first getoff on the 950 on a slick and nasty Tram road. The tram road really was pretty nasty when we went through due to the heavy rain making it near impossible to see. I prolly should have slowed down a bit, but what fun would that have been? After that a tree branch fell on it while it sat outside the restrant as we ate lunch.

The only damage it suffered was the carbon tank guard and the cheesy plastic skid puck gave thier lives to protect the tank during my ~30mph low side on the tram road. I do need to get a carb vent issue sorted out though because it took quite sometime for the 950 to run smoothly again after laying on its side. I had the bike upright within about 15 seconds or so I would guess but it still was enough to play hell with it.

Muhahaha I was in the lead though so nobody got any pics of me laying on the ground!! Although Scratch and Kevins son,, "sorry I cant remember your name" were hot on my tail.

I had to do my best to show Sscratch that the 950 isn't just another pig!

I had a good time despite the shitty weather and am glad I got to meet some of you guys. I hope to ride with you guys again sometime.
  12. madcow

madcow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Don't mind at all; feel free to take any of them.
  13. Chadd

Chadd I live in the wrong place

Oddometer:
    anyone else have any pics?
  14. Buzzez

Buzzez Wind Powered

Oddometer: