talk about the positive like the interesting people we meet while riding

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Riteris, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital
    There was a request for this so I started it.

Have fun!

Ps: I think it is kind of stupid because if I am riding I do not see how I could meet people. But, have at it.
  2. Knightwork

Knightwork Have Coffe Cup--Can Travel

Oddometer:
    I understand the thought that riding you don't have time to meet people, here's the "catch 22"-----

When you do stop take a bit of time to look around, interesting things and people can be found in the weirdest of places and at the strangest times.

I have had some real cool times brewing a cup of coffee along the path/road and sometimes it can be pretty interesting.
    Some of the coolest times have off the beaten track and sitting at an old store and listening to what the "old timers" are fussing about.
    Think about brewing a great cup of coffee and have another rider or someone who just was out juking around and striking up a conversation.

It is amazing how much information and knowledge is out there if we only take the time to listen.

But honestly I think that seeing the kids get that far away look in their eyes as they imagine that they are on a great adventure somewhere, and some adults get that same look too!

Truly the amount of influence that we have as Ambassadors for this Sport is amazing.

I'll get off my stool now---back to the regular show.
    :wings
    KW
    Chillis, NorcalAF, GoRide16 and 6 others like this.
  3. Hamamelis

Hamamelis Inmate

Oddometer:
    The last time I did a seriously long ride, back in September, I met a guy who rode along with me for quite a few miles down the PCH - the difference between he and I is, I ended that ride in LA and he's just made it to Ecuador on his way to Ushuaia. He and I still talk online once in a while, and it's helping to motivate me to plan my own international ADV rides

I also met a much older fellow on a gorgeous blue and orange KTM 990 who rode as part of the same impromptu PCH pack - I didn't get his contact info and don't even remember his name, but that man could pick a line! Probably has more riding experience than my entire 26-year life span eh
  4. Chip Seal

Chip Seal Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was heading west across upstate New York. The road was full of Harleys, heading to Milwaukee WI for an HD Anniversary. I was on a stock K100LT. Two guys pulled up along side at a light. They both asked if would sell them my muffler. I just started laughing and they both grinned.
  5. jay547

jay547 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My wife and I were riding one summer afternoon several years ago and stopped for an ice cream. As we were getting ready to leave an older couple (probably mid 70's) came out. He kept walking and got in their truck. She stopped and smiled, then told us her story. When she was in high school, she was not allowed to be on motorcycles. She said she would walk around the corner and meet her boyfriend who rode. They would go out on their date on his bike. They eventually married - he was the guy in the truck. She said they hadn't been riding in about fifteen years, that they had to quit due to medical reasons. I could tell by her face that she was reliving some very fond memories.
    Manny U, Chillis, sporthog93 and 16 others like this.
  6. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was stopping for the day and was looking for a campsite in Hurricane, Utah. I ended up at an RV campground, they had one spot left because it had no power. It's a 105 degrees, I have shade but no where to sit.

[​IMG]

A woman from one of the RV's walks over and says, "looks like you need a chair". She made my day.

[​IMG]
  7. Rollin'

Oddometer:
    This is Ken and Phyllis. A retired couple from Florida that let me share their camp site at Sequoia N.P. when I showed up late Friday and there were no campsites left.
    They saved my day. The next morning they made breakfast and coffee for me and wouldn't take any money.

[​IMG]
    C3trevor, Dale402, Manny U and 31 others like this.
  8. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok - I've got two, and with pics to boot - and in keeping with the theme of the counter point thread to "stupid things people say when you're stopped," here are the cool things people said while I was stopped:

"Hey - do you speak English?"
    When you ride a sidecar rig, with a kid and a trailer and two dogs EVERYONE has something to say; this is one of my best memories of one of those times. This guy (who also spoke English but not as his first language) came up to us at a Pemex in Mexico (I guess that's redundant), yelling from across the parking area really, and wanted to chat - in fact, he brought over his mom, his dad AND his abuela - was super stoked to see a family riding together as he wants to take his wife and kid riding in the US someday. LOTS of pics from that trip, but these two he texted us later might be my favorites.

20170107_132359.jpg
    20170107_132413.jpg

"You've got great taste in bikes."

Said to me, by a guy walking in, as I was walking out of a rest-stop restroom. Found this back in the parking area:

twofer.jpg

Mine on the right, his on the left. This was pretty early am - turned out we had the same town in mind for our end point that day, so we rode together for a bit, had lunch, he booked a room in the same Airbnb, we rode a few more hours and we had a great dinner together too. I used to own a driving school where he lives (I don't live there anymore) - like just down the block from his office - and he sees our cars all the time but never saw any of my bikes parked by my old office. Fun stuff.
    Dale402, Manny U, Chillis and 14 others like this.
  9. Rollin'

Oddometer:
    I had just completed the Iron Butt 48 states in 10 days ride. After I get my last receipt I need to find two witnesses. I found one person to sign my witness form, as I was riding looking for another I passed a church and the congregation was just leaving. Perfect. A minister will be a good witness. I go inside and show the Pastor (David) the route map, and tell him the story of the ride. We would talk for a long time and he agrees to sign my witness form.
    We talk for a while after he signs and then...............he asks me if I would like to go to a picnic. He said that they were going to the park after the service for a picnic, and asks if I would like to go.
    This is great, I hadn't eaten and I had been eating truck stop food for the last 10 days.
    What a great way to end the day. The food was great and it gave me a chance to meet and talk to a lot of people. Thanks David!!

[​IMG]
  10. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    About ten years ago, I was riding home from a trip to the local dealership when I spied a couple of friends sitting outside a Starbucks having their drinks of choice. Yeah, I know. Anyway, the family rolled up in their Suburban and mom, dad and the kids exited with purpose. The oldest kid saw my bike and promptly placed his beside it. Trouble brewin'. Once he had committed to the parking spot, he wouldn't budge. Well, with the unsavory types lurking so close, you wouldn't just leave your bike, would you? Dad had to bring a cup of refreshment to his wife.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mike
  11. zaxrex

zaxrex I don't know. Do you know?

Oddometer:
    So this story happened about ten years ago back when I owned my Buell XB12S. When I have a few hours to burn, I often just pick a direction and ride. I had the wild idea to ride south from Rockville, MD (where I lived at the time) to Georgetown. I typically don't ride into the city so this is one of the few exceptions to this rule. When I get to Georgetown, I pulled into a gas station to refuel and I spotted two fellow Buellers (and 5 or 6 other bikes) parked outside the pumps. It wasn't very common for me to see another Buell on the road in my area and I generally say hi to other bikers when I see them, so I approached these two and started chatting.

It turns out that these were two local Buellers that I had known for some time through the Buell forums and so after a few minutes of laughing about the circumstance, they invited me on their ride. I obliged and we rode several hundred miles up through Maryland, Virginia, and the lower part of PA.

To date, this is still one of my favorite motorcycle memories. It was one of those "small world" moments and I felt a random deep connection to these random people and all because I had a wild hair to ride a route I normally would not have.
    C3trevor, Dale402, Manny U and 9 others like this.
  12. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    Excerpt from one of my ride reports.

I pulled off at the next nondescript town to refuel. I went inside the gas station , grabbed a drink and sat down to people watch for a bit. Here I am on a long ass vacation while they are all working their butts off. I felt a little guilty for a moment as I sipped on my cold soda. This cage that we allow the world to build around us in the form of dept, social constructs, etc is all so limiting. Humans are strange creatures in this regard. We seem almost excited and content to immure ourselves within these fictitious walls... It's as though when they asign us a number at birth, we can't help but feel beholden to these constraints. Sometimes I just want to run through the herds, grab them two fisted by the ears and scream "Hey!! Hey you in there!!! Little child with unquellable spirit!! You've been lied to! Your life means more than this!!" . Instead I just feel a tremor of sorrow and move along.

On my way back to my bike , and elderly southern black woman, exuding charm from her heels up ,stops me and asks "This your bike young man?" I reply "Yes ma'am". She smiles radiantly then says "I bet when no one's around you really give it hell ,huh?" , her sheepish smile now ear to ear as she lets out a barely audible giggle. I reply "Ma'am?!" as I laugh while trying to process what this adorable woman just said to me. She repeats "I bet when no one's around you really give this bike hell!" then giggles again and says "and with them tires , I bet the man would have a hard time catching you on these country roads!" . I said to her " Ma'am I suppose you're right, not that I'd run from the law if he saw me giving it hell. That Wouldn't be gentlemanly!" as I finished my response with a smile and wink. She's begins a full belly laugh and says "No sir I bet you wouldn't do such a thing" returning my wink. It was then she said something that began to put the pieces of this trip together for me... "You see young man, this world is better place when we all get along and share a laugh don't you think?". I replied by simply asking for a hug which cheerfully accepted.
  13. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^^
    Way cool!

Mike
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  14. zaxrex

Oddometer:
    Love that story.

I really like to believe that people are good.
  15. Knightwork

Knightwork Have Coffe Cup--Can Travel

Oddometer:
    This thread is making me smile and relive a lot of memories---

"Way Cool"
    is a really good expression

KW
    bromax, mikegc and Ginger Beard like this.
  16. small_e_900

small_e_900 Amanda carried it

Oddometer:
    Maine to Iowa for a weekend pig roast.

I'm somewhere in Wisconsin or Minnesota. I pulled off the interstate to get some gas.

As I'm pulling up to the pump, I see this man and woman wandering around an old fire truck looking pretty intently at it.
    Turns out, they had just purchased it and were looking for the location of the fill cap so they could get some gas.
    So, now there were three of us wandering around, looking for the fill cap.

Turns out, they were up from Texas. They had just purchased the truck to use as an advertisement for their fire alarm business.

They were so excited by their new ride. It was pretty cool.

She was following behind him in the station wagon.

I'll bet they had a blast traveling to Texas.
    Traxx, Knightwork and JaredE like this.
  17. zaxrex

Oddometer:
    Did it end up having a filler tube or did it run on hopes and dreams?
  18. Rollin'

Oddometer:
    I was planning a 49 state ride and was going to need an oil change during the trip. I asked on a forum if anyone knew of a dealer in Kansas that could do a quick oil change. One of the members said he would do the oil change at his house.
    I asked him if he was sure he wanted to do that, I said I don't really know what day or time I would be there. He said it didn't matter, he would do it whenever I got there. Wow!
    So I sent him my Spot Tracker link and when I arrived at his house the garage door was open and he was standing there waiting for me.
    I pulled in the garage, got off the bike and he handed me a bottle of water and quickly started doing the oil change. I made a few changes to the bike and my gear, got back on the bike and left. It felt like a quick Nascar stop.
    I was trying to average 900 miles a day and this helped a lot! Thanks Dave!

[​IMG]
  19. DittyBag

DittyBag A bag of dirty stuff

Oddometer:
    Predicting a large and excellent thread. Carry on.
    terriblemog and Ginger Beard like this.
  20. Rollin'

Oddometer:
    In 2019 I made it to the Arctic Ocean on July 2nd. After riding the to Arctic Ocean sign it was time to find something to eat, I had seen a sign for a place called Grandma's Kitchen. At first I couldn't find it, all I saw was a house but when I walked behind the house I found the restaurant. It was a trailer that had been added to the house.
    The sign said they would be open at noon and it was only 11:00 am, I started to walk away and a guy opens the window and says the restaurant will open at noon. I told him I would come back and then he says "if you have time I can make coffee".
    I have time. I sat in John's patio, had my coffee and watched the Arctic Ocean waves while listening to John tell stories about life in Tuktoyaktuk, whale hunting, the new road and watching the northern lights reflect on the ocean.
    It's one of my favorite memories of the trip.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]