talk about the positive like the interesting people we meet while riding

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Riteris, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Funny story.
    I would rather think I reminded her of her brother. Except I look in the mirror and think maybe Great grandfather! :gerg
  2. Chip Seal

Chip Seal Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It was a wet Sunday in Rhinelander Wisconsin. I was heading to Sault St Marie and Canada. Saw a family style restaurant with lots of cars. Realized I was hungry. Walked in with wet gear, owner/hostess walked up and said follow me. Sat me in a cozy alcove, helped me remove wet jacket and hung it up. She came back after I looked at menu. I asked what was the special. She said Thanksgiving dinner with all the fixings! That's why it's crowded. It was Memorial Day Weekend 1993. I'll have it then, I replied. It was fantastic, just like being at home. Local diners stopped by the table and chatted about how to get to Michigan because the hostess told them I was headed there. I left with a warm fuzzy feeling about Wisconsin. It didn't stop raining until I got way past Escanaba. Made it to Sault St Marie too.
  3. Offcenter

Offcenter On The Road Again!

Oddometer:
    I've got one that definitely belongs in this thread!
    Waaay back around 1980, my wife and I headed out on the bike, on a BEAUTIFUL Friday morning, from New Jersey headed for the Mystic Seaport museum in Connecticut.
    Nearing the New York border on the Garden State Parkway, we pulled up to the last toll booth on the Parkway.
    Now toll collectors see 10 or a dozen cars a minute, and most of them are real grumps. (hand out, take money, grunt)
    Well, as I pulled up to that toll booth, we were greeted by a smiling gray haired older gentleman. "Hi ya folks! Where ya headed?"
    I told him. He replied, "That's great! Have a nice trip!" What a nice guy!
    Three days later, Sunday afternoon...
    We are now heading home, approaching that same toll plaza from the opposite direction.
    It is pouring rain. We are completely wrapped up in yellow rain suits, faces barely visible.
    Pull up to the toll booth and....."Hi ya folks!! How was Mystic Seaport?"
    You could have knocked me off that bike with a feather!
    With all the thousands of people who come through there, THREE DAYS LATER, he remembered us and where we
    were headed, and RECOGNIZED US despite the foul weather gear!
    Ya can't make this stuff up!!!
    Toto, Manny U, Richarde1605 and 22 others like this.
  4. doc moses

doc moses fearlessly flatulent

Oddometer:
    OK, this starts with an embarrassing moment. I had a PC 800 (Honda Pacific Coast) on a trailer, on its way to an inspection station, to get the paperwork to turn a salvage wreck title into a salvage drive able title. Yep, had a bike on a trailer. I had pulled a hamstring/calf muscle on a hiking vacation a few weeks before (on the plane, not on the hike) and I was limping fiercely. I could ride, had a time of it walking. So the inspection station was at the far end of a smaller sized strip mall that had seen better days (because the town had seen better days) and I parked out away from the buildings to be able to pull through. I left two or three spots between the closest parked vehicles and my truck/trailer.

Getting the bike through the inspection was amazingly easy process especially considering sometimes dealing with civilian employees of the Ohio Highway Patrol can be an exercise in how a police state works. I loaded the bike back on the trailer, no small feat considering I was limping and whining about my leg issue the whole time. I had been watching a kid, a girl, maybe 16, 17, not sure, in a Toyota to my left, and something was wrong there. I try to be aware of my surroundings, like anybody, and the girl in the car thing made me wonder what was going on. As I am strapping the bike down, the girl looks over, and walks over and says something like "can you help me?" Yes, danger warnings go off in my head.

So I do a scan, (look around in other words) and I say just a sec, finish tightening a strap, and say something like what is going on?

She can't get her car started. I ask- did you call someone? She said she called her grandmother but her grandmother could not get there. (I could up my "questioning" game, I would never make it as a detective.)

Then I am asking myself how would I want my daughter to be treated by some old limpy guy in a parking lot? Also, I worked with at risk kids so I was still a little leery of the situation. Ok, I said I will look. And that is all I would do. I would not get in, would not touch the car. I have no clue whats going on, whether she is really in trouble, whether she is running... could be a kid with a car that won't start.

We walk over to the car, I said why don't you get in and lets see what it does... She gets in, it is a manual, and her seat is way back. And when she tries to start it, nothing. I said.... please try just scooting your seat up. She does. It starts. (Obviously, its the clutch pedal interlock thing, she just did not push the clutch in far enough. She is ecstatic. She says thank you and drives off.

I limp back to the mall, take my papers to the clerk of courts office to get a official title, then I take the title to the BMV to get a plate, and thinking I have had a successful day I limp back out to my truck and bike on a trailer.

As I am opening my truck door , a mini van with a large woman drives up and kinda blocks me in. She rolls down her window, I reach for my back pack on the truck floor. An even older guy in the passenger seat of the van shouts "We just wanna thank you for helping our granddaughter out, that was just so kind of you" The woman driver chimes in "You know you just can;t trust anyone now a days we were so worried for her", "she didn;t want to ask"... I said "no problem, etc. happy I could help, I was a little worried about the whole situation... I have a daughter also..." They were genuinely appreciative.

Then it happened. The guy evidently could not resist it... he had to ask. I almost saw it coming.... He said "is that your bike?"

I looked around, and said (in my best mock criminal voice) "Nope I am just trying to steal the truck and this is the second time you and your family caught me" They got the joke. They wished me the best. I tossed 'em an old school blessing. They loved it.

Part of all us wants to help. Part of all of us might also be a little jaded, a little skeptical, a little maybe too steeped in the reality of the world we live in. And we might not like that. I think most of want to help, we want to reach out, we want to rescue the needy, and we might even resent that reality means we have to look out for the scammers and hustlers of our world. Being on a bike does not change that.

Sometimes though, being on a bike (or having one on a trailer) just puts us in situations where we can help.

s.
  5. Knightwork

Knightwork Have Coffe Cup--Can Travel

Oddometer:
    I have found out that most all the time if you maintain "situational awareness" most of the bad elements will leave you alone----A predator usually will not hunt another one if something easier is around.

My daughter had a flat on the Interstate coming home from college once and 3 motorcycles, 2 pickups, 1 car, and one farmer on a tractor that had been bush hogging his pasture all showed up to handle it.

I thought that was pretty cool.

Oh and by the way one of the bikes was a BMW, the others were HD's. Scary part was they were all together---Go Figure
    LOL
    Pay it forward--

KW
  6. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    I better up my game. I never automatically figure someone in need is just a ploy to do me harm.
  7. doc moses

Oddometer:
    Understandable. We all come from different backgrounds, we all make choices to see things the way we want to, no outlook is better than another. I work with street people. My people are supposed to help, thats our mission/statement. I would not automatically assume someone who is asking for help would be planning to do me harm either. But I do teach my team to be very conscious of whats going on around them.
  8. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    2018 while riding solo headed for Tuk, I met a gaggle of bikers at the gas station in Teslin YT. Five of them were from the Texas panhandle so I yakked with them about my times in Amarillo. The others were from all over the map.

Two days later somewhere on the Klondike Highway, I stopped for gas and two familiar looking bikes pulled up. I'd met these two at Teslin. We were all heading for The Bunkhouse in Dawson City so decided to ride together. Stopped at start of the Dempster to figure out the unattended gas station and take pictures. One guy was from the San Diego area and the other from Alberta.

Had a great time in Dawson with those guys and rode out across the Top of the World Highway with the guy from San Diego. Rode a few more days with him before he headed to Deadhorse and I headed for Kenai solo. We all kept in touch digitally.

The guy from Alberta caught up with me a couple of weeks later in Whitehorse. Camped, dined and then rode south for the next 5 days until we ended up at his place. I had a chance to get my bike sorted a bit before heading the final 2,000 miles home.

We all keep in contact at least a couple times a month. We keep each other informed about family stuff, adventures and of course bikes. I've been down to San Diego twice to meet the one guy's family and even help wrench on his bikes. If the border opens I may ride the Trans-Lab with the guy from Albert this summer. For better or worse, I think we've become family at this point.
    P1020198.JPG
  9. doc moses

Oddometer:
    Good stuff. All the "why we ride" yak yak comes down to what you're writing about here. Plus, dang, that sounds like fun.
  10. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    Except it rained on me for 30 straight days and 4 out of 5 nights I was in my tent.
    Macho Man2 likes this.
  11. doc moses

Oddometer:
    One must pay the price sometimes for "fun". (I meant that as humor, because I had to cancel a Canada trip starting mid-May and I am living vicariously through any mention of Northern adventure right now.
  12. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    I had planned to ride from home on June 1 to Tuk, Yellowknife, Chisasibi, across to Goose Bay, down through Newfoundland and home across the Northern States this summer. ~90 days in all. Have one bike all prepped and my backup bike just needs a front tire at this point. Not looking good at this point.
    If the border opens by mid-June, I might still be able to join my friend in Alberta and do the central and eastern parts of the trip.
  13. Tall Man

Tall Man Neutral Sending Unit World Tour -- now in 2021.

Oddometer:
    Agreed.
    And for those other situations, we have our backpacks on the floor. :beer
  14. Knightwork

Oddometer:
    I lost a good bit of faith in humans in 1982, while driving in Ohio pulling a set of pups for Brown Transport. I saw a young woman/girl holding what looked like a child wrapped up, in a snowstorm pulled over on the side of the road with a hood up. Me being the idiot that I was I did not pay close attention to the situation in place and was worried only about getting this child back on the road to somewhere. I suddenly felt a cold chill to my groin and stomach area --looked down to see the better part of a hunting knife stuck in me, decided that if i was going to get cut I wanted to try and at least take that SOB out. That did not play out as I wanted--luckily for me a Yellow Transportation Driver and a Roadway Driver saw what happened and stopped to help. After that experience that almost cost me my life, I have tread much more carefully as I move thru life.

I have been in situations since that day that could have turned sideways more than a few times. Just realizing that even when I was in the Corps I had that same awareness that kept me in one piece. Predators do not like to try and take something that requires more energy than it is worth. They will almost always go find the softer target.

I still stop and help people on the road, and have had many great experiences meeting some really COOL folks, and have made a difference in some others. I am a old softy at heart and realize most people are just going thru times- some good- some bad.

Even after having all that has happened to me over the years---it is quite a list- from surviving 2 helicopter crashes, getting shot 2x, bayoneted once, 4 really good motorcycle wrecks around the world, wound up on the edge of a couple pretty good sized explosions, I figure that I still have something to contribute to life.

I just keep plugging along-----Seems to work for me. I have leaked interior fluid in some weird locations around the world.

LOL

KW
  15. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you for serving, Knightwork.

Mike
    Macho Man2 and Knightwork like this.
  16. jay547

jay547 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You definitely have to be wary. It does happen. My cousin had a flat once (pre-cell phone days). A car stopped, and a couple guys got out. He thought they were going to offer help. Instead, they stole his wallet and beat the crap out of him - put him in the hospital.
  17. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-1/4 mile N of International Falls, MN
    ??
  18. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    Met this guy (I think his name was Calvin) and his three legged dog in a municipal campground in Kitwanga
    P1020141.JPG
    He was hitch-hiking from lower BC to his claim north of Dawson City. He really wierded out the retired cop I was riding with who decided he wouldn't stay but would ride on a couple more hours. I was too tired to ride any farther that day so stayed.

The guy was fine. He mostly wanted someone to talk to. Sitting around a fire pit, in 20 minutes I knew his whole life story from where he grew up to how he blew a fortune he made in a legal settlement.

Next morning I asked him if he could use any of the extra gear or food I was hauling but all he took was a couple of small dry bags I had packed extra. We both headed out at the same time, him on foot.

With a side trip to Stewart and Hyder, I made it to Deese Lake late that afternoon after about 10 hours riding. While I was eating dinner, I overheard the locals next to me remarking about this odd character with his three-legged dog who they had seen in front of the store/gas station earlier. I guess he made better time than I did.
    Manny U, Richarde1605, Advntr and 6 others like this.
  19. Knightwork

Oddometer:
    Do it all over again---might change a couple things like the leaking part -----

LOL
    Thanks
    KW
    sixspeed, Macho Man2, mikegc and 2 others like this.
  20. Macho Man2

Macho Man2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll second that, Thank you for your service!!
    mikegc and Knightwork like this.