1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

talk about the positive like the interesting people we meet while riding

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Riteris, Jan 20, 2020.

1. doc moses

doc moses fearlessly flatulent

Oddometer:
    This was two years ago. I had a last minute chance for a few days off, took off south from Ohio, down dreaded interstate 77 (because sometimes you have to just to get where you want to go). I remembered right about Charleston WVa that it was a toll road after Charleston. (I have driven it many, many times, should have thought to get cash for tolls, or even a pass card, but I did not plan that far ahead.). So I get to the the first tool booth, stop, apologize, and hand over a 20. (I think the toll was 2.00 or 2.75 ??). The toll booth operator was a woman who gave me my change in three rolls. One for each of the next toll booths, and one for the remaining amount. I said thank you, and asked her if she rode a bike... she said no, but that she and her husband wanted to get a Harley. So she did not have to do that, didn't have to help me (and everyone who fell in line behind me at the next two toll booths) but she did.
  2. radmeister

radmeister Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My wife and I were on our way to the BMWMOA rally in Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania a few years ago riding two up on my 77 R100RS. We were cruising down highway 44 just north of Lock Haven when she tapped me on the shoulder and said she could smell gas. I didnt believe her but in town I pulled over only to discover that quite a bit of fuel was leaking from the line that runs from one carb through the engine casing to the other carb.
    As I was examining the bike, a guy walked up to us and said, “See that big building up there with the overhead door. It’s mine along with the motel and restaurant next door. Ride your bike up there and let’s see what we can do for you.” It was about eighty-five degrees already that day and humid and I can tell you that it was a relief to pull into that building where the temperature dropped several degrees.
    Well, the fuel line had split and I had no extra line in my tool kit. We tore that shed apart looking for what I needed to no avail. Finally, the owner of that building suggested I go across the street to the fire station where a few guys were washing down the fire trucks. I did so and let them know what I was after and they looked everywhere but could find nothing to do the job until one of them said, “Hey, try this.” He reached down to the power washer he had been using and ripped off a longish piece of clear plastic hose which just happened to fit perfectly.
    We were on our way shortly thereafter. No one would accept anything from us but our heartfelt thanks.
    At the rally, I ran into Kermit Easterling of Kermit Chair fame. I had heard that he was there and I wanted to meet him not only because of his chair, but also because I bought my R100RS from his son, Curtis. We had a nice chat and I told him about the fuel line problem and he said to me, “Stay right here. I will be back in a few minutes.” He was true to his word and when he returned he had a foot and a half of braided 7 mil fuel line in his hands which he gave to me. He would not accept any money for it so I bought a small duffel/storage bag from him which I still regularly use. I also have a small piece of that fuel line which I keep in the RS as a good luck charm.
    A few years later on another ride, I stopped in Lock Haven and bought the owner a beer. Kermit is no longer with us. RIP, Kermit.
    Versatek6, eemsreno, Manny U and 27 others like this.
  3. doc moses

doc moses fearlessly flatulent

Oddometer:
    I have one more. Last summer I bought a PC800, then I bought another as a parts bike but it was too nice so I salvage titled it back on the road. And I put BMW stickies on the salvage title bike as a joke. So I was riding the BMW badged PC800 and stopped at a McD for lunch and struck up a conversation with two older Gold Wing riders and I explained the PC. And I explained the BMW stickies were a joke. So we said ride safe and headed separate ways. Two months later, late fall, and three states away I was waiting for food in another McD, and I noticed two bikes pulled up and parked next to my PC (the one that did not have the BMW stickies on it this time) and I gave it no thought. A minute or two later, two riders walk up behind me, one of them slaps me on the back and says "It's good to see you got back on a Honda". It was the same two Gold Wing riders from before. Sure it was a wild coincidence that we were in the same places, but its cool because if it weren't for our "motorcycle issues" we would not have the experiences we do.
  4. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some bikes can do that, just right for you :-)
    Knightwork and Macho Man2 like this.
  5. Gone in 60

Gone in 60 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a couple that make me smile. I live in a condo complex, and once I get through the gate into my community when I get home, I'm slowly threading my way past everyone who just got home from work, and are out walking their dogs and taking the kids out to play. There are a few dads out watching their boys run around on scooters. When they see me coming down the street, there are a couple of kids who look at "the big man on the motorcycle" in awe, like they want to do it someday. I give them a wave and a little blip of the throttle, and they go nuts.

Also, my weekend gig is being a tour guide at the Petersen Auto Museum in L.A. I usually ride to get through downtown L.A. traffic, and they have a dedicated motorcycle parking area. We have a permanent, rotating motorcycle exhibit. On a few occasions, I've come back out to my bike after my shift, and walked up on people who are taking pictures of my bike (typically the Bonneville more than the Honda). I've joked "hey, the nice ones are inside, why take pictures of this one?" It always sparks a long conversation about whatever my bike sparked in them to want to stop and take a picture of it.
    Versatek6, OV10, Manny U and 5 others like this.
  6. c_m_shooter

c_m_shooter Ninja Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    That was me visiting Dale's Wheels Through Time Museum last year. I had ridden up there on my Triumph Thruxton. There was a crowd around it when I was getting ready to leave even though I was parked near bikes costing 3-4x as much.
    OV10, Gone in 60, Manny U and 2 others like this.
  7. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    I'm envious of your weekend job. Must post pics.
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  8. Gone in 60

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I'd love to post a bunch, but, unfortunately the place is closed . I only have a few pics in my phone right now from our movie car exhibit. Here's the Star Wars Land Speeder, and the Falcon and Nux cars from Fury Road. Everything else in my phone is the cars from Blade Runner, which are kinda weird looking.

The museum is my happy place. I love sharing the stories of cars and bikes with people. Almost always, when I finish a tour, there will be a guy standing there with his phone out, ready to show me what he has back home. I especially love it when people from other countries show me what they have, or take me out to the parking garage to show me their cool cars. I'll never own a Bugatti or a Duesenberg, but I can show you one! IMG_8824.jpg IMG_8826.jpg IMG_8827.jpg
  9. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    I lived for a couple of years in Huntington Beach and never made it to the Peterson Museum. One my biggest regrets, along with not going to the Getty Museum.
  10. Gone in 60

Oddometer:
    I love people who make a pilgrimage to the museum from anywhere. But just as much, I love people who say “We live a mile away and this is our first visit.”

Found one more- two Ken Miles cars in the vault. We had these for the launch of Ford vs Ferrari. The Daytona is real, but if I recall the GT was a movie car. If it were his actual’66 LeMans car I would have crapped myself, and I don’t recall running to the bathroom. D27E0A32-9F17-4BFC-8A91-632FC063E2B1.jpeg
  11. brgsprint

brgsprint Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I visited the Barber Motorcycle Museum near Birmingham on a slow day early in the spring. It was so slow, my Sprint was the only motorcycle parked in front when I left. The only person out there was wearing a museum guide shirt and looking over my over packed, New York plated, palmetto bug coated steed.

We talked for quite a while. I envied his side hustle. He envied my retirement ride.
    Versatek6, OV10, Richarde1605 and 5 others like this.
  12. brgsprint

brgsprint Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Funny how one story triggers memories of many others. I guess that's why we can spend so much time standing in parking lots talking to strangers.

While writing my previous post, I kept thinking of other parts of that visit.

When paying my admission to the museum, the clerk suggested I take the elevator to the bottom and start my tour there, since that level may close soon. Of course, I did. It was the workshop. Not a lot interesting on the lifts, but the space and shop were a mechanic's dream. I talked a little to the guy in the museum shirt, then started looking at the pictorial display of the construction of the facility on my way back to the elevator. A few pictures down the line, I finally realized that the guy in a lot of those pictures was the guy I was just talking to. By then, George Barber was no longer in the shop.

From the museum, you can see a section of the track. There were sports cars testing there that weekend. From one of the upper floors, I saw a van full of guys with Brumos Porsche team shirts come in the front entry. I later got to talk to a couple of them. One of them showed me the BMW he had restored that was on display. I had hoped to make it to their race at Lime Rock near the end of my trip a week later, but the wind didn't blow that way that week. I ended up watching the race on delay. The crew member I talked to at Barber was the subject of a video feature during the race.
    OV10, Advntr, Gone in 60 and 2 others like this.
  13. Gone in 60

Oddometer:
    Aww man, I was in Birmingham a few years ago, passed the Barber but didn’t have time to stop. I was so bummed.

A friend went a week later and sent me dozens of pics, making me very jealous.
    brgsprint likes this.
  14. Gone in 60

Oddometer:
    And I’m jealous of your retirement ride too! 99.7% of my riding is to my office on weekdays or the museum on weekends. With work, caring for elderly parents, etc, I don’t get much personal riding time.

Best I can squeeze in are little three-day squirts up to San Francisco and back. Last time I did, I ran across a guy on an FJ09 who rode to Big Sur from Indiana. Had three duffle bags strapped to the bike and had been on the road for a month. That dude had some awesome stories to tell.

Someday, someday...
    OV10, snglfin, Richarde1605 and 3 others like this.
  15. ddavidv

ddavidv The reason we can't have nice things

Oddometer:
    Since you would know...is Eleanor on permanent display there? The real one, not that gawdawful silver faux Shelby they used in the remake. Having seen Bullit up close and personal Eleanor remains the white whale of my Must See list.
    Traxx likes this.
  16. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    From a ride in 2015

davesr20davidsr20_jmkl_zps9ax8ldgh (1).jpg

"I ended my day in Eufaula AL. I had planned to head to Providence canyon in GA but with rain moving in and the desire to get some writing done I decided to grab a cheap motel instead. As luck would have it I found one right next to a great Mexican restaurant. Being the only gringo in the place that could speak fluent Spanish had it's perks as damn near the entire staff came to check on me at one point or another. The other cool thing was that they opened the bar for me which ,I found out,they didn't typically do on weekdays. I sat there engrossed in conversation with a young guy from Guatemala. We talked about immigration and why he had chosen to remain in the USA after his visa had expired. Turns out that he had jumped through hoops in order to try and remain here legally but was still denied citizenship. I asked him why he had remained illegally and he responded with the singularly best answer that anyone wanting to come here could reply with. He kind of chuckled and said "Because I love this country and most of the people I meet are very kind. I want to be an American." . He began to shed tears when I asked him if it was hard knowing that he may not see his family again. He told me that he was hopeful that reform to our immigration policy would result in him becoming legal and then he could return to see his mom and siblings. I told him that for his sake and others like him, I sincerely hope that change comes soon enough. This kid and others like him are the human beings that the media and various political groups try to demonize. I wished him all the best and told the kid that I wished more Americans loved this country the way he does then I fished my meal and waaaaay too much tequila before heading back to my hotel room. It was a great end to a wonderful day of riding and meeting new faces."
  17. Gone in 60

Oddometer:
    Not to get us too far off topic, but to answer the question... I can't leave a movie car fan hanging. Plus, as you can probably imagine, this movie is very dear to me.

Yes, the real one... Yellow Eleanor, not the Nicholas Cage "Gee thanks, now nobody can afford a Mustang Fastback" version.

The original '73-ish Eleanor was left in the smashed-up condition as it appears at the end of the movie coming out of the car wash. It was painted with the title of the movie down the side, and displayed in theaters during the '70s to promote the movie. To my knowledge, the widow of H.B. Halicki, who produced and starred in the movie, kept the car (and movie distribution rights) for many years and was very particular about how and where it was displayed. We've had it at the museum on display a number of times, but I have not seen it for about 10 years or so.
    Traxx likes this.
  18. Gone in 60

Oddometer:
    Holy Cow, Ginger Beard, that is one heck of a story!
    Traxx and Ginger Beard like this.
  19. Gone in 60

Oddometer:
    Since the topic is "positive and interesting", this one falls into the latter, as it wasn't too positive. Every now and then, MotoQuest runs "Transport Specials" to move their bikes from one location to another. I always try to snag an L.A. to S.F. or Portland run, to get a nice ride on Highway 1.

Last year, I was bringing an R1200GS back down from San Francisco. I'm way too cheap to stay in Monterey on the coast, but a 20 minute ride inland to Salinas, a farm town, offers nice low-cost motels, better Mexican food, and is near Laguna Seca raceway - it's always neat to make a quick stop to poke around the pits to see what's going on.

I rolled up to a cheap chain motel, and walked in with my gear on, and asked for a room where I could keep an eye on my bike. The lady behind the counter said "Oh, you rode here on a motorcycle? Don't you know how dangerous those are?"

She then proceeded to tell me that there was a family staying in the motel while their son is in intensive care at the local hospital. He crashed his bike during an event at the race track, and they didn't know if he would make it. Also her cousin was killed on a motorcycle. I thanked her for her concern, and bit my tongue.

As she handed me my card key, she also handed me a comment card and said "If you go on our website and tell them that I provided you with excellent service, I would appreciate it." Oh boy...

The evening wasn't a total loss. I hung out with some drunk rednecks who were shooting off fireworks in the parking lot.
  20. JamesHTrotter

JamesHTrotter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So many, but I suppose the maybe I can add them as time goes on...
    Rode from the East Coast to Utah on a CRF230L. Having New York plates on a tiny single was a frequent conversation starter. Had really wanted to detour towards Big Bend National Park, as I have has fond memories of it in the past. Big Bend would have been a bit out of the way. I was just east of Marathon, TX heading toward Alpine, TX. At the gas station before Marathon, right where I would have taken the 60 miles south towards the park, I made the decision to continue as planned and visit Big Bend another time.

I fill up at the pump, eat a snack, do some stretches, and prepare onward. At that moment, a big black truck trailering an Africa Twin pulls up to other side of the pump.
    "Nice bike!" I say
    "You too" he responds

Somewhere in the conversation comes some rendition of the "New York? No you didn't! Did you???"

His name is Mike, and he was heading to Big Bend to do some riding. He insisted I go with him. He tells which campground to meet him at and that he will pay for my campsite.

I made my way slowly into Marathon, stopped at the grocery store, brought a sandwich for a homeless looking gentleman, took a good stretch, and turned southbound toward Big Bend, with such joy in my heart. My excitement grew with the mountainous backdrop. Thank you.

Here is the rest of the story from Mike’s perspective (paraphrasing, but I’ll write it as he told it to someone we met):
    “So he [me, aka JHTrotter, aka Matthew] seemed like he really was going to stick to his word and meet me [Mike] at the campground. When I got there, I saw the campground was full. I don’t know if I could have just left knowing that Matthew was going to show up looking for me. I waited by the visitor center and asked everyone who drove by if they saw anyone on a motorcycle, they would say yes, and so I asked if it was a small red motorcycle, and no one had seen one. I figured I would drive back out of the park, ten miles, and if I didn’t see him, I would just head out towards Terlingua and not feel bad about leaving him. At 6.4 miles, there he was, just cruising along. I waved him down and told him to follow me to Terlingua where we could camp out.

We spent the next two days riding and camping together (and with some others we had met). It was a real positive, special and serendipitous meeting.

[​IMG]

(I took the picture below: from left to right: the mighty CRF230, Jay-with a KLR, Mike (who this story was about)- and his Africa Twin, and Matt- with his Africa Twin.)
    [​IMG]