talk about the positive like the interesting people we meet while riding

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Riteris, Jan 20, 2020.

1. doc moses

doc moses fearlessly flatulent

Oddometer:
    Early Spring 2014. The App trail hasn't hit celebrity status yet, and I am in Hot Springs, NC. Is going to rain and rain hard, and the National Forest Campground is closed. So I get the last single star motel room there. I pull the bike (very clean '88 K100RS) up on the sidewalk by my room. (a 20 something helps me with the bike like I am the old man, his girl friend asks "What year is that bike from") Hikers use the motel as clean up and restock after their first weeks on the trail. We're all there because of the rain. I sit out on the porch and am cooking over an alcohol stove hiker style, gives me an in with my neighbors. OK, I am fascinated by what it takes to drop everything and hike. And I am asking questions, and am fascinated with how these folks pull it off. Not just the dirt poor college kids, but two 30 something married couples who sold their houses and put tons of planning into the adventure. Nothing holding them back home. They have their relatives mail prepacked supplies general delivery to trail towns for resupply. Then I catch myself, stage one. I say, hang on, I apologize, you must get these questions from every old guy you come in contact with. One of the wives smiles, says, "yes, but not the details you're asking." I catch myself, stage two. I am almost to the hikers what the old guys with the big camping rigs are at campgrounds to me. Asking questions about adventure, wishing they could take it on. Wishing they could embrace adventure with less... Wishing they would have done something different a few years ago. So one of the hiker kids says "so, whats holding you back man?" Stage three then... being on a bike by yourself opens your world to conversations with people you would not have otherwise, and those conversations, if you let them, will inform and change your life.
  2. NorcalAF

NorcalAF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fordland, it is about 20 miles east of Springfield. Tons of great roads out there.
  3. jay547

jay547 Long timer

Oddometer:
    We went through there last May - well, on US60 anyway. We had ridden the Natchez Trace and on the way back routed through Missouri. In 2000, I bought a cargo trailer in Rogersville - still have it.
  4. ddavidv

ddavidv The reason we can't have nice things

Oddometer:
    Years ago the wife and I were on a vacation road trip (by car) touring the middle south. I think we were in NC somewhere in a postcard quality small town. Had lunch at a little greasy spoon. While I'm paying she goes outside for a smoke. I see her chatting to a guy in bib overalls straight out of Mayberry central casting. After I come outside he offers some pleasantries to me and we head back to the car. My wife says, "It was the weirdest thing. That guy just stopped on the sidewalk and started talking to me!" I just laughed. Not a creeper, just a typical Nice Person you encounter in towns like that. She'd never had the experience.
  5. Advntr

Advntr Answering the call of the wild

Oddometer:
    Western NY or out riding & passing you somewhere
    Another day in the wind having adventures your friends never believe even when you show them pictures. Well, back to river road and who we met - the Shack Up Inn was our destination for that day as I had found it online advertised as a Beer and Breakfast, 200 miles up the road so it was a good spot to land. Called ahead-plenty of room & beer at the Inn - see you later. As far as scenery & people in the USA the "Delta" is like no other place and i have been many many many places meandering the 2 lane and meeting the locals.

After meeting the Sheriff and friends we rolled on into the heavy thunderstorms eventually getting stuck at a Wendy's in Greeneville MS for a couple of hours. The locals were a bit distant at first but a local farmer came in to eat & sat with us for a while. He said it was easy to figure out who was on the only motorcycle in the parking lot and he was a motorcycle person as well as a farmer. We had not seen another mcycle on tour once we left Natchez that day and did not see many on the River Road till we got up by St Louis MO. He told us - no one tours thru here on motorcycles, so you two are definitely a fishoutowater, [yankees, yes the north vs south is still alive] He told us exactly how to find the shack which was a nice gesture! When we finally got to the Shack it was late afternoon & i was tired beyond tired. The OL got a good case of what's called "Shack Shock" and said there is no way we are staying here... The shacks are real delta river shacks rebuilt with modern plumbing, a/s and recycled materials. So i went inside and told the proprietors the OL said no way and they laughed and put us up n the modern Gin Bins as they call them. What a great place

The shack is the Hopson Plantation where cotton was first mechanically harvested. That was a world changer right there. https://www.hopsonplantation.com/index.php/history.html

Those are genuine Delta Shacks refurbed with recycled materials. We had beer dinner and breakfast [with coffee] with the owners, leaving late headed for Elvis's house in Memphis. There is a real bluesmobile at the shack, reported by the owners to be Dan Ackroyd]s personal bluesmobile. 100_2883.JPG 100_2898.JPG
  6. NorcalAF

Oddometer:
    I have a sister that lives in Rogersville, I don't think I have ever seen a taco Bell/KFC combo anywhere else!
    Macho Man2 likes this.
  7. small_e_900

small_e_900 Amanda carried it

Oddometer:
    Sanford Maine has one.
  8. jay547

jay547 Long timer

Oddometer:
    We have some here in Okiehoma.
  9. NorcalAF

Oddometer:
    And guess what, I haven't seen em!
  10. jay547

jay547 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My wife and I stopped at one while out riding. She wanted chicken and I wanted tacos. I ordered my tacos and the guy said, "We're out of beef." Seriously? I got a KFC chicken pot pie.
    NorcalAF and Traxx like this.
  11. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have you seen the ones in IL.?
  12. NorcalAF

Oddometer:
    Fraid not
  13. jay547

jay547 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jump to today (April 2nd):

I got to pay it forward today. I stopped for gas on the way home from work. As the guy at the pump next to me drove away, I heard a slap sound. I looked over thinking he ran over a pop bottle or something. There on the concrete lay his wallet and phone. I was able to flag him down before he left the parking lot. He was embarrassed but happy.

The wallet had a big wad of cash in it...
  14. Macho Man2

Macho Man2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    On a ride out in the country the other day I rode through where a tree limb had fallen across the road and piece of wood punctured my rear tire. I stopped right in front of a couple of houses to get off and inspect my rear tire. As I did the home owner and his 2 dogs came down to the road to check out what my problem was. On inspection the tire was ruined, the guy helped me push my bike up his driveway to get it off the road and than took me 28 miles to my house to get my truck n trailer so I could get my motorcycle home. I tried to get him to stop and let me buy him some gas or give him money for his help, he wouldn't have it. He just said pay it forward. I don't guess I could picked a better place to have a flat tire, do you?? There are still good people out there!
  15. Veeblefetzer

Veeblefetzer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's guaranteed if you reply to this thread you're not saying something that's been said before (has someone already pointed that out?) but you should definitely read through every page anyway!

May I make a case for shitboxes? My dear old Laverda triple has a vibration problem. Everything eventually rattles loose (last month it was the ignition switch, just exploded.) One fine spring day I were rolling through the town of... um, something-boroughville, Massachusetts when shifting became impossible, as the shift linkage had unstrung itself sometime after I put it in 3rd back there.
    I coasted up to a farm stand, assessed my need for a 6mm nut & bolt and went to ask the farmer if he had something similar. The farmer, who was pitching softball to his daughter, looked at this greasy, orange haired (orange motorcycled) creature from the black leather lagoon and said, "Here, you pitch these baseballs to my daughter and I'll go see what I have." So I found myself facing a very serious 9 year girl old armed with a bat, trying to remember how to pitch underhand (or at all, really.)
    That's how I learned all about how this determined youngster so loved baseball, and felt so wronged by the fact that her tiny town didn't have a baseball program, that she rallied all the kids in the surrounding towns and damn well organized one of her own! She made the Kennedy family look like pikers, I tell ya. Now all these Massachusetts kids don't have to grow up deprived of America's signature sport!

If I didn't ride a quirky old bike that fell apart as it went down the road (a moment, please: that bike has never refused to start, run, drive and stop for 35 years, just sometimes not so well), if I had some shiny, bulletproof, new bike I would have breezed through Somethingboroughville, Massachusetts and never been the wiser. If it's true that, "It's not an adventure until something goes wrong/breaks down" then the best adventure bikes are shitboxes. "You meet the nicest people on a Shitbox!".
  16. Jim Moore

Jim Moore "You ain't black!"

Oddometer:
    My affinity for shitboxes has offered me plentiful opportunities to hitchhike over the years. You always meet interesting people when hitchhiking. Uninteresting people never stop for hitchhikers.
  17. SRG

SRG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had an unplanned encounter w/ a local in the boonies around Boone, NC.

There was a family get together in a rented house there. I knew there was good riding around, so I brought my dualsport with me from VA.

I found a gravel road whose name I remembered being mentioned as a good one. My bike (at the time) had the stock small 2 gal tank. I had about half left. How long can it be? 30+ miles apparently.

I was relived to be back on pavement, but the fuel light was now on and no sign of civilization. Sho nuff, a mile or 2 later it dies. I had passed a mailbox a little ways back, so I tipped the bike over, got a little fuel to the pump, restarted and made it back to the driveway.

I left the bike at the end, took my helmet off and started to walk up the drive - couldn't see the house yet. Just around the bend, a largeish, plantation style house appears at the end of nicely mowed front yard. It had a double height veranda accross the front.

I called out hello, anyone home a couple of times and a woman appeard on the upper porch. From accross the yard, I explained I was out of gas and asked if she had any. She said he husband would come help me.

A minute later I see a side by side coming out of a barn behind the house. I explained again to the man, telling him I'd be happy to pay for some fuel if he had any. He said he would be right back.

I hoofed it back to the bike and in another minute he was back w/ a gas can. He insisted on pouring the fuel and as he is passing 1/2 full I say that's good, you can stop now. No, no he says, I'll fill it - and he does. I'm feeling good now, plenty of gas, problem over, let's get going again. I have some cash out and try to give it to the man. He hadn't really said allot up to this point. Now he rufuses to take any money, but he does have a question for me - Do you know the story of Jesus Christ? I am not a religious person, but I was trying to be very polite here, so I said yes, I had heard of him and knew some of his story but was no expert.

I stood there quietly for the next 20min while he gave me the short version. I still managed to thank him profusely at the end, although I may of promised him I do some bible reading, which I have not.

The rest of the day went well and I have have an oversize tank on the bike now. Thank dog.
  18. ddavidv

ddavidv The reason we can't have nice things

Oddometer:
    Good sig material right there.
  19. Tall Man

Tall Man Speak as you find.

Oddometer:
    I was expecting an anecdote regarding law enforcement.

Friends of the family used to live near Boone, N.C. They described the entire town as a speed trap, with capricious enforcement that was without peer.

Glad to read that your episode was peaceful.
    Traxx likes this.
  20. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Riding somewhere out west. Think it might have been Durango, but it matters not.

In the car in front of me is an absolutely miserable kid. Sprawled across the back seat, arms akimbo, beautiful pout on his face, suffering a family ride. He’s looking at me, with that vacant stare, that doesn’t see.

I waved, or something, and the kid sorta focuses on me. Think I waved again, and he finally waved back.

Then we started playing games. Patty-cake and such, through the air. Maybe dancing too. He’s having a blast. Think he showed me hit toys too.

His parents were...entertaining. They’re curious why their sulking child has become so animated. Lots of head turning and in car conversations. Dads driving is suffering a bit, as he watches this “biker”, in black leather, on a big, dirty, loaded up motorcycle, playing games with his kid.

This went on for something like 5-10 minutes, before we parted ways. As we waved goodbye, that kid was alight with joy over playing with a stranger, through the rear window of his car. I like to think it helped give him a positive feeling about bikers, and maybe a story he tells too.