talk about the positive like the interesting people we meet while riding

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Riteris, Jan 20, 2020.

1. doc moses

doc moses fearlessly flatulent

Oddometer:
    I stop for a $5 pizza at Little Caesars (the pizza tastes just like the box it comes in) and start to get off an r1100gs. A mid aged guy with a speech challenge (has some issues making sentences) sitting in the car next to me is amazed that BMW makes motorcycles. I look inside the pizza place, and there is a long line of people at the counter who are also wanting a $5 pizza which tastes just like the box it comes in. I decide I don't want to wait that long for a pizza that tastes like the box it comes in. So as I am starting to put my earplugs in and put my helmet back on (earplugs take forever) the guy fires question after question at me. He knows BMW cars like nobody I have met. I make a mistake and ask a question about a random BMW four wheeler. I get a long technical answer. Eventually I want to get going, and I didn't want to cut and run and be rude to a guy who is probably on the autism spectrum and has had a rough life so far interacting with people. (To be clear, I had spent alot of time being an a-hole and being rude to alot of people by that time in my life). Then a woman who looks like she has been working for a long time without a break comes out of the pizza place with two pizzas. She hands one to the BMW car expert, and one to me. She smiles the smile of a person who is worn out dead tired, and says "thank you for giving me five minutes of rest, now get out of here before he starts talking again." I think I helped without even knowing it. Sometimes ya get lucky.
  2. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-1/4 mile N of International Falls, MN
    Wow Doc, that was a win all around.

The guy got to talk to someone (captive audience) about something he seemed passionate about.
    The lady (caretaker) with him must have saw this happening and had a brief break.
    And you still got your cardboard pizza. (Not sure if this part is a win)

Great story.
  3. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    How was the pizza?
    Manny U, Traxx and doc moses like this.
  4. Versatek6

Versatek6 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You may have given him a whole new area of BMW lore to research!

Caregivers are often unsung heroes in our society. Even if unintentional, good on you for a random act of kindness that made someone's day.
  5. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was standing on the side of the road but I wasn't sure why. My location was the "middle of no-where".
    As I started looking around I noticed my bike was sideways but it was on the side stand and there were two guys standing by my bike.
    My first memory of the conversation with them was me asking "why are you here?"
    They told me I had crashed and at first I didn't think I had, told them "I couldn't have, nothing hurts". (That would change.)
    Then I saw the pieces laying on the ground and my damaged helmet.
    They had already lifted the bike and I didn't remember any of that. They also helped me remove broken pieces and bend the dash back enough to move the handlebars, while fighting off the mosquitos.
    I was on the Dempster Highway about 147 miles south of Eagle Plains and still needed to travel another 125 miles to get to Dawson City.
    Still don't remember much about the crash and I didn't know if I had thanked them. Recently one of the riders found my trip story and I was able to thank him.

Very lucky to get help in the middle of no-where.

[​IMG]
  6. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got one, but it was something fleetingly observed and no conversation took place.

On one of my 3 week runs out west I got up and broke camp really early due to an uneasy feeling(posted that story in the creepy camping experience thread). I rolled out to a light rain long before day light and was hoping to dodge the squalls that were surrounding me. Then the rain backed off right before dawn and I saw a 12ish year old boy standing at the end of his driveway waiting for the school bus. Right beside him was his faithful dog seated waiting patiently for his buddy to get on his bus. Somehow I knew that the dog would resume that place and position when the kid returned home. This warmed my heart and erased my previously miserable evening, and hell... after that I kinda looked forward to those squalls. I still to this day wonder if that kid knew or would ever know how lucky he was to have a friend like that? Even then, I almost turned around to tell him that, but I figured I'd just scare the crap out of him, then end up with a BOLO out on me on all police frequency's.
    Manny U, thereal_od, Advntr and 7 others like this.
  7. oldgrizz

oldgrizz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Many years ago I was in the southern part of British Columbia heading to th Kootney region then East from there.
    It was a typical 95 degree day and all of a sudden there was a construction site with a flag gal stopping traffic.
    Wonderful. I was dressed in black leather....
    The gal cane over to me and said it would be at least 20 minutes before the traffic was moving again.
    So I removed my jacket and was standing beside my bike when all of a sudden I heard.
    "Would you like a cold beer ?"
    I looked up and said.. Yes God please send me one...
    Then I looked behind me and there was an hand sticking out of a big motorhome holding a beer.
    I walked over and took the beer and was asked if I would lime to come inside to some air conditioning.
    So I went into the motorhome and had a beer and some chips that I was offered.
    The middle aged couple were on their way to a campsite in the Kooteny region and when they saw me they decided to get me out of the heat.
    The only downside was that my side stand sunk into the nice fresh pavement and I left a hole in the pavement when I left.
    They were really nice folks.
    James11, shuswap1, Manny U and 15 others like this.
  8. slobinski

slobinski easily amused

Oddometer:
    June 2019, more or less northbound in the Yukon, headed for Alaska. I kept meeting up with an older couple driving a rented Jeep at every rest area or viewpoint. Spoke with them a couple times in various locations; they were obviously British, and having a great time exploring. I rode in to the Moose Creek Lodge on the north Klondike highway for a late breakfast and their car was outside.

Got a table next to them and spent the next hour talking and laughing with Clive and Dorothy, who were from some small village not far from Meriden, England. I wound up buying their breakfast and thoroughly enjoyed spending time with them. The timing was perfect, as I was in the mood to relax a bit; it's not far from there to Dawson and then Tok. That dry British sense of humor is often hilarious and really appeals to me, for some reason.
  9. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    There was a time I was going to Virginia Beach, and was running a bit late, so I was beating feet, as it were.

Now state highway 17 is well known for being a dull, open road, with speed traps. At least back then. But, if you were lucky, you’d shave some time off the interstate route.

So I’m wailing along, bored, and not paying attention. It wasn’t until I was like 100 feet away that I finally saw that Virginia trooper.

He’s parked in the median, nothing around to block the view of him. He’s standing beside his cruiser, holding that massive old K-band radar gun akimbo, looking at me as if I’m t perhaps the dumbest speeder he’s caught that day, if not that year.

I hoped perhaps he’d decide I was too stupid to pursue, but alas, that was not to be. So a mile or two up the road, he pulls me over.

The conversation was almost a Laurel and Hardy skit. Him doing the Oliver Hardy impression, wondering how on earth I wasn’t seeing him, and how dumb I was. Me doing the Stanley Laurel “I don’t know” goofy shtick.

He finally asked me where I was going in such an all fire hurry, so I told him. He looks at me for a moment, before finally saying something like “son, you can’t get there in that time from here!” I of course immediately thought “you don’t know how fast this bike is.” I did possess the mental faculties to not utter that thought aloud. Though my remarkable poker face probably told it to him with brilliant clarity.

So we chit-chatted some more, and he reduced the ticket to a minor speeding infraction, and I went on my way. I held my speed down until at least the next hill.

The ticket gave his name, and oddly, his phone number. I was mightily tempted to call him from Virginia Beach later that day, just to let him know I was only 10 minutes late in getting there.
  10. Knightwork

Knightwork Have Coffe Cup--Can Travel

Oddometer:
    Not me but a great Friend of mine had this happen:

A couple of years back while riding his ZX14 along a state highway in Kentucky, he innocently putting along working the throttle in playful taps, when out of the blue some State Trooper suddenly goes by the other direction. Well---the race was on----my Friend decided that by the time the Trooper could get turned around, he could be long gone. On this occasion it worked wonderfully.

Fast forward two weeks: The same time of day at the same location, for some unknown reason the two of them meet again and the "Race" is really on. Motorola was involved, my completely innocent friend decided that he would go ahead and bite the bullet by pulling over. In record time the Trooper was on him before he could even get pulled off the road at a safe place. The young Trooper rather rapidly opened him door and walked very briskly towards my friend. All the time my buddy is watching the Trooper get closer, he decides to take off his helmet. When the young Trooper saw an old man, bald, not very big (he is sorta short and paunchy), the Trooper is going slower and slower. At the point when the Trooper got up close the young man was barely shuffling his feet. Now my friend, Hugh, is starting to not really laugh, but is getting a giggle out of the whole show, turns around to face the young Trooper and smiles. The Trooper is showing some hesitation.

Finally the Trooper straightens up and addresses my friend. Mr XXXXXX, I never thought that you would ride something like that, Do you know how fast you were going? My buddy says, No, but you did get the speed for me?

Oh yes sir, I got it, I just can't believe it. Sir, I show the you were in excess of the posted speed limit by over at least 100 mph.

Well son, now what are you supposed to do?

Sir, you remember when I was a little boy and you helped my Daddy and Grampa out when we where having troubles getting the crops in.

Yes son, I know you and your family very well.

Mr. XXXXX, we would have never made it that year if you had not helped my family, and it is the least I can do is to let this incident slide. But please, quit running so fast that it embaresses me and the other Troopers to have to try and catch you, it really does look bad. They will never believe that a 72 year old man is the one we have been trying to catch for the last 2 years, ripping up everything on a damned ZX.

Have a good Day, but Please slow down, it would tear my Daddy's heart out to know something happened to you like a wreck.

Sometimes good deads do come back-------the radar showed 173 mph ----

KW
  11. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    Kind of the same story for me. I was on my 82 Katana, which got more comments and questions than any bike I ever owned. Was heading to town from my home in the mountain and passed a radar wielding State Trooper while winding the 1000cc plant out. Quick mirror check confirmed he had seen me. I could have easily disappeared before he found me, but for some, still unknown reason, I pulled over. He was a young Trooper probably my age. He asked if I knew how fast I was going. I said I didn't. In excess of 100mph! Then he says, "What kind of bike is that?". We discussed the Katana. Something rarely seen in my area. He proceeded to give me just a warning. He also recommended if I wanted to "blow the carbon" out of it I should get out on the Turnpike where there weren't any driveways for cars to pull out into my path. The first words out of his mouth when he walked up to me were, "Thank you for stopping. I never would have caught you.". I considered that a very good day.
  12. Knightwork

Knightwork Have Coffe Cup--Can Travel

Oddometer:
    My buddy let me ride on the ZX a few times and even tried to give it to me after he had prostate issues. I loved it, which would really be an understatement!!!!!!

I have ridden motorcycles all my life, all around the world, pretty much every main manufacturer out there, but never in my life have I had as much fun as riding the ZX-14. It just felt right. Rock into a real curve at around 45+ and come out of it at 120, damn thing just wanted to dance all the time.

I knew that if I had accepted it ---I would either have been dead or so far under the jail I would never see daylight again.

Just thinking about it gives me a rush to this day.

LOL

KW

Damn thing -----can't say what I really want to ---can't describe how it thrills you to the core.
  13. SenorCollin

SenorCollin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    9 days ago, I was riding out on 76E out by Palomar. I found myself lying broken in the dirt in something of a ditch at the side of the road as the result of a crash, and before too much time had passed waiting for my ride/ambulance an open modular helmet revealing a face appeared above me. If I am remembering things correctly, he informed me that he was not a witness to my collision but an EMT on a ride of his own who arrived shortly after it occurred. It's even possible that his presence kept the other party to the crash on location, as he was uninsured and there wouldn't have been much to keep him from bailing if the thought ever crossed his mind.

I doubt that this mystery rider will ever see this, but it really means a lot to me that he stopped and came to my aid. And I hope that the sight of my battered leg didn't put too much of a damper on his ride, because it was truly a spectacular day to be on the road.
    shuswap1, JaguarG, Manny U and 15 others like this.
  14. CrustyAPO

CrustyAPO Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The year was 2000. Was out on my first monthlong solo trip just tooling around the U.S. One of my stops was at Arches N.P. I visit the various formations and finally get to Delicate Arch. Standing there taking the whole scene in, you realize the pictures you have seen in books don’t do it justice. So there I am by myself, thinking it’s too bad there is no one here to take a picture of me next to it when a soft voice from behind asks if I want to have my picture taken. I turn around and a beautiful young lady about my age is standing there. I said “Yes, Please” and handed her the camera. She proceeds to take my picture and I return the favor. We chat for a little and head back to the parking area and chat a little more. Finally we say our goodbyes, and I hop on the bike and go. About a half hour down the road the light bulb came on, she was hitting on me and I didn’t realize it. I was in “vacation mode” and not on the prowl for tail (in the middle of a N.P.) so it went right over my head. Missed opportunity.
  15. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Several years ago, a friend passed in Grand Rapids. It was in the late Spring so I shipped my funeral duds to the hotel, donned the riding duds and left my home in North Carolina early one morning. I made it to Maumee, OH that evening, checked into the hotel and noticed a nice Outback across the parking lot. I sat down at the bar, right at the corner, and was enjoying my adult beverage when two, slightly over-served guys started a conversation. They remarked on my southern accent and chatted about their golf game . . . nice guys. At one point in the conversation, one asked, "What brings you to Maumee?" I told them the reason for my trip and, politely, they inquired about my deceased friend. I told them he was our helicopter pilot in Vietnam when courage and character meant everything. I probably told them more than they wanted to hear but they were gentlemen and listened. When my meal arrived, they wished me well and left. A little later, I finished and I asked the bar tender for my check. He said, "There isn't one. Those guys you were talking to paid your tab." Did I mention they were nice guys?

Mike
    BkerChuck, Toto, shuswap1 and 20 others like this.
  16. Macho Man2

Macho Man2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your service!
    Manny U, Richarde1605 and mikegc like this.
  17. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-1/4 mile N of International Falls, MN

Sorry dude, you’re mistaken.
    I know that girl and she was “just being nice”

:imaposer
  18. CrustyAPO

CrustyAPO Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    On a trip in ‘03 I was staying in Cortez CO. At breakfast I am pouring over the road atlas trying to decide where to go next. A Native-American gentleman asked me where I was going, to which I replied “I don’t know yet”. He grabs a chair and joins me at my table and starts pointing out possible places to go. He asked me where I was from and I told him NY. He said he had a Brother in an upstate NY reservation near Watertown. I replied “St Regis ?”. He looked puzzled that I knew the name. He asks me how I knew, I told him my Aunt was full-blooded Mohawk and she grew up on the Reservation. He remarked what a small world it is and we talked for about another hour until I had to get going.
  19. MikeyT

MikeyT Krusty Olde Pharte

Oddometer:
    poring
    CrustyAPO and SenorCollin like this.
  20. Rider2

Rider2 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think it was 2017 that I stopped for dinner, Casper WY, I think. Walked into a restaurant and was mugging with the kid in the next booth, mom saw what was happening and let it continue. The kid was being a kid, and it gave her a bit of a break. So eventually the waitress comes and says in that overfamiliar way some people have "How are we today?" and I say, "Well, half of 'we' is fine, how are you?" She got flustered, recovered, and we got the order sorted out. While I'm eating the kid and mom left. When I was done I went to pay and was told that she'd paid for my dinner but gave instructions that I wasn't to be told until after she'd left. She'd done it because I reminded her of her grandfather - my response to the waitress and playing with her kid - and she really missed him.
    Manny U, L84dinr, Versatek6 and 14 others like this.