Talk me down... (opinions appreciated)

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by NextAdventre, Mar 13, 2021.

?

Which bike for this weekend rider?

1. Keep the 1290!

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  2. Get a 790!

14 vote(s)
    73.7%
  1. cbig

cbig Rift- Raft, SCooter Trash

Oddometer:
    That there called a "Map." I like to get my trail buddies tossed then lost and lost:jack

Occasionally, I'll use gps to get a utg coordinate but find it easier to use a map generally. Must be the old skool Army officer in me. Change slow from things I know work..
    lithodave and TrailTrauma like this.
  2. scottrnelson

scottrnelson Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer:
    I agree with this. I traded in a 1090R for my 790R and haven't regretted it for a minute. I can do so much more with it off road, with confidence. I also have an XR650L, but it doesn't get ridden nearly as much as before, because for most off road riding that I do, the 790R is as good or better than the XR. It's only when I have to turn the thing around in an awkward place or in really tight rough stuff that the XR is the better off road bike.

I don't miss the power of the 1090R. The 790R still has more than I need.
    NextAdventre and BHoward like this.
  3. NextAdventre

NextAdventre Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like I will likely keep the 1290 for another season. Not much interest in the flea market. I love the bike, and won’t mind riding it this summer (or a few more seasons). That said, a 790 or 890 will almost certainly be my next bike. Thanks for all the posts and feedback.
    complacent likes this.
  4. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I stand by my rec to toss a couple or lots of bucks at the suspension and get it dialed in for you and your riding and abilities. If you’re gonna keep the bike, it will pay dividends.
  5. NextAdventre

Oddometer:
    This is good advice. I love the SAT electronic suspension and it works well for me @ 175 pounds. I may take it up to COGENT and let them do a service and any adjustments later this season. If I only fill the 1290 with 4 gallons of gas (instead of 8) it feels so much lighter!
    chippertheripper likes this.
  6. frqflyr

frqflyr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    SAT weighs in at 600lb with full tank and about 135rwhp. I think the 890r is about 460lb wet and 95rwhp?
    Not much difference power to weight, huge difference in sport and off road.

SAT sport mode is much better for sport riding, but I am still able to achieve my pace on the 890r.

NextAdventre likes this.
  7. ZIEN BARON VON SUPERDUKEN

ZIEN BARON VON SUPERDUKEN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went from a Super Ten, to a 1090, and now a 790R Rally. I just got back from a two week trip in Ecuador and rode a 701 for two weeks. Now I'm wondering if I should sell the 500 I have for a 690/701 and sell the 790.
    frqflyr likes this.
  8. NextAdventre

Oddometer:
    I jumped. Bought new 890R on Thursday and threw the farkle look book at the dealership at it.

Loved the 1290 and love this new 890.

I appreciate that a number of the 1290 farkles transferred. Got to keep my Black Dog Footpegs and the dealer is rekeying my KTM top box.

Thanks for the input and encouragement to take the plunge!
    frqflyr likes this.
  9. cbig

cbig Rift- Raft, SCooter Trash

Oddometer:
    You did well. I bought a 790 in October. Most versatile bike I owned. Does dirt better than it has a right to, more comfy to me than my Harley, and a reasonable performance in the twisties. The suspension helps in the LA area traffic..our streets, highways badly potholed. Being able to pack mule it with camp gear is the icing on the cake. Just starting down that road..
    NextAdventre and El Hefe like this.