1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Talk me out of a Then Came Bronson Ride

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Ridercam, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Ridercam

Ridercam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Island of Alameda, across from San Francisco
    Talk me out of a 7 day putt in a few weeks, Then Came Broson location ride. Avoiding highways, a light sleeping bag/camp set up for fast setup/breakdown and mostly motels. 3200 miles. Food only from diners, cafes and western bars. Bike will my BMW urban GS with small soft bags to hold my camera and a change of clothes. watchmans cap is optional.

Fort Point featured in the Pilot's opening scene under the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco.
    Lombard St. and Van Ness Ave. featured in the Pilot's opening scene when the business man ask Jim Bronson if he is "Takin' a trip?" in San Francisco.
    Cliff House featured in the Pilot's opening scene when Jim Bronson leaves San Francisco and heads south on the Great Coast Highway.
    Pescadero State Beach featured in Pilot beach scenes where Jim is leaving San Francisco jumping sand dunes.
    The Bixby Creek Bridge on Hwy 1, open credits of each Episode.
    Big Sur - Hole in the Rock featured in Pilot beach scene.
    The Gas Station on California's Hwy 1 in Episode 24, The 99 Mile Circle.
    Olathe, Colorado featured in Episode 7, "The 3:13 Arrives At Noon"
    The Grand Tetons north of Jackson, Wyoming on Hwy 191 The Long Lonesome Highway. Closing credits of every Episode and Episode 1, "The Runner"
    Wilson Wyoming 7 miles out of Jackson setting for Episode Two, "The Old Motorcycle Fiasco"
    Chapel of the Bells featured in Episode 19 "Lucky Day" in Reno Nevada.
    The Brick Yard in Stockton, California's south at French Camp, The Pilot Movie.
    Holt, California train station featured in the pilot movie, located on state Hwy 4.
    Department Store featured in the pilot movie, located in Stockton, California.
    The King Island Resort in the pilot movie outside Stockton California, in the San Joaquin River delta.
    Walnut Grove, California - This is the bridge Jim and Temple cross and Jim asks Temple "What about that guy back on the coast?", featured in the pilot movie, located on the River Road (J11) in Walnut Grove.
    Locke, California was used to represent a small southern town, featured in the pilot movie, located on the River Road (J11) in the San Joaquin River delta.
    Cal-Sate University in Stockton, California was used to look like the hospital in the closing scenes of the Pilot movie.

Screen Shot 2020-06-27 at 9.20.53 AM.png
    llirttoc, MCGMB, tire joe and 4 others like this.
  2. -E-

-E- Klaatu barada nikto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ridercam likes this.
  3. Ridercam

Oddometer:
    thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten abou that.

As i think about it more, I am planning on camping more than i usually do. I am trying to stay safe from virus worries. Few or no Public restrooms and any public lines or groups of more than 5 peope will be skipped . I think more stealth camping on BLM and hidden land might be the trick. Ordered a primus eta camping stove system. a bit more kit than I thought I would want to carry. Now the goal is to carry around 30 liters of stuff including a camera, a extra 3 liters of gas (1.5 x 2 bottles) which I need to mount on bike and remain a comfortable minimialist. I did find my old navy watch cap which means i shoulg have more clearity while searching for the meaning of life and seeking experiences that life has to offer.
  4. jwnsc

jwnsc Hang in there. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really? Well, hang in there!
  5. tire joe

tire joe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. tire joe

tire joe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hope you have a wonderful time!
  7. straightrod

straightrod Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a great idea. Didn't Bronson beat some ass while he was out and about? You should think about doing some of that also. Beating your meat often does not count! I know I'm going to suffer for this post.
  8. TCBronson

TCBronson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a fun trip! I have been to most of those places and many of the episode locations as well with a small group of TCB fans.
    If you haven't yet, check out www.jimbronson.com
    Hang in there!
  9. DADODIRT

DADODIRT Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link @TCBronson
    That's pretty cool.

@Ridercam - have fun - looks like a good route and plan.

Oh yeah - hang in there!
  10. dino702

dino702 OFF2BFE

Oddometer:
    Where did Bronson do the hill climb episode? You can't leave that one out!

Ridercam and knight like this.
  11. Ridercam

Oddometer:
    ^ Hillclimb forgot about that one. Dino, you bring up an interesting problem... do I follow the pilot script or do I go to the general locations of the west. The pilot movie script makes this a 3/4 day california ride.

The pilot ride if we followed the movie route as edited with spectaular first day riding. Big Sur, Nacimiento-Fergusson Road (said to be one of the best motorcycle roads in California) to Jolon 24.5 miles plus the Holister 25 would make this epic. Day 3 or 4 would include a central valley highway 99 slug... In summer hanging in the valley and high desert will make this ride quite warm.

Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 12.32.24 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 12.11.57 PM.png
  12. dino702

dino702 OFF2BFE

Oddometer:
    I would loosely base the episodes on the route. This is your ride, not Bronson’s. With that being said, I love the concept as that was a favorite show growing up.
  13. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Nice to have a 'theme' ride...….I won't talk you out of it go for it!
  14. allonsye

allonsye ("lets go!")

Oddometer:
    @ 1:50......."you don't work - you don't eat" word
  15. 10/10ths

10/10ths Road Trip Fool Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, come on down to New Orleans and you can have a guy ride your bike into the bayou.

And don’t forget to fill up with weed killer.

;)