Talk me out of being FTA Prez

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Huzband, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    After six years Alex is giving it up. Life, pending marriage, & what not. So far I'm the only one gullible enough to volunteer for the job, but it's not a done deal yet.

I've been an officer in clubs before, even Prez of Huntsville Trials Club in '79-'80, so it's not like I'm new to this. But at this point I'm just not sure.

Therefore I'm leaning on the well schooled to advise me as to what I'm in for. I've talked to the current officers, including Alex, & they paint a picture of sunshine & roses. Yeah, I doubt it.

Thoughts please. :johntm
    playinatwork likes this.
  2. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Main thing this day and age. How well is your land use is set up. Are you an AMA club, and or is the club got insurance other wise. Set up as non-profit? Someone needs to step up, I would say you have already agreed to it! Just remind everyone this sport is for FUN.
    Norman Foley and Huzband like this.
  3. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    Yes to AMA & non-profit. I'm just concerned that as easy as it should be, it won't be that easy.

Relationships with properties is well established, but I'd like to improve such with Hard Rock. They are okay with the trial or two we have there, but only okay. That needs to be bettered.

Anywho, maybe your NMTA Prez could chime in here & give me some idea of what I'm in fer. It's been so long I don't remember much.
  4. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna Supporter

Oddometer:
    Depends on the rest of your team? Are the other club officers.... Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, Risk Management Officer pulling their weight? Are the Trial Masters self starters, who have a good relationship with their landowners, and are able to find the people to make the sections and be observers? If you can answer yes to these questions, your tenure will be simple. If not, your job will be more difficult but not impossible....
    BossLady and Huzband like this.
  5. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Let`s see, she`s had 8 trials canceled. So besides the Covid, not many issues in her first year! But she is also our NATC rep. and they are having the yearly meeting this weekend, maybe!??? Anybody know if they canceled?
    Norman Foley likes this.
  6. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Being President for me was easy as I had a strong board always. But the year we put on a National was pretty hard as I was also the Trialsmaster too. Their were two of us and we put in a lot of driving time that summer.
    Huzband and Norman Foley like this.
  7. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD! Supporter

Oddometer:
    It really depends on the team that's in place, if there's no congruous team don't do it unless you have your own team.
    Regardless you will be overworked and underappreciated, if you can't feel good about that don't do it. On the other hand you can take pride in running a well oiled machine, and making it run even better.
  8. Floridaman

Floridaman Trial by fire

Oddometer:
    I bet it’ll be more work than it “sounds” like. But like the people above have been saying, good people on your team will make it easier. Maybe some private conversations with the main supporters will help.
    Huzband and BossLady like this.
  9. 10K

10K Trail Runner

Oddometer:
    This should be a pole. :flug
    Huzband likes this.
  10. MT 007

MT 007 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing it would be hard to say no at this point.... so - Congratulations !!! and best of luck - as much as the sport is about making it fun for the riders it also has to be fun for the volunteers (including the board) so be sure to not take things too seriously and remember nobody else was willing or able to step up so they are lucky to have you :-)
    Huzband and BossLady like this.
  11. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    How much does it pay..?
    Huzband and Norman Foley like this.
  12. 10K

10K Trail Runner

Oddometer:
    Can you work remote?
    Norman Foley likes this.
  13. BossLady

BossLady Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Besides COVID??....Is that even a thing these days?? NATC meeting is currently in progress (we're on a short break right now). Good conversations and solid momentum to plan for a 2021 season...stay tuned!
    fprintf, Huzband, lineaway and 2 others like this.
  14. BossLady

BossLady Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well let's see.... So far this year I have been forced to cancel more events than we've held, not fun. I pray that my first year as Prez is NOT representative of what you should expect after you take the job! That said, I have been reminded at every turn about what a fantastic community we're part of. I've had TM's agreeing to set on short notice, multiple club Presidents working together to get common event areas opened back up, and a brand new board that has worked together to re-vamp the schedule to assemble something resembling a season. All this just echoes what has already been mentioned by others, it's less about what you do & more about your club & your team. Strong board, strong club. Your team will make your job easier.

Bottom line, we all take our turn regardless of the work that's involved. It's for the love of your club & the sport (because it's definitely not for the pay). Sounds like you're already in, so thanks for stepping up! :clap
  15. PMK

PMK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No doubt some work and effort is required. I would assume Alex will still be available to answer questions and such. FTA has a bunch of great people involved with the group. My thought is you will do a great job and find it both sometimes frustrating but also rewarding.
    Huzband likes this.
  16. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will tell you the rewarding part in 3-4 years.
  17. Dirt First

Dirt First Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_8695.JPG 2021 Schedule.
    wheelieman14 likes this.
  18. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    Thanks all for the responses. The rest of the board, which has been in place for the last 3 years, will remain. As has been mentioned that should make things much easier.

I'm on vacation in the mountains this week & will use the time to make a final decision.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  19. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    Can't talk you out of it without being a hypocrite. I just got "elected" President of High Plains Trials Association yesterday. :D
    MT 007, Huzband and Norman Foley like this.
  20. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    Yeahbut, you started that club didn't you? :lol3
    Brewtus likes this.