Talk me out of buying a GROM.

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by theshnizzle, Sep 2, 2019.

1. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    Scooter with a flat floor - carry a case and a pizza between your feet. We did it all the time back in the 80s selling Hondas and having a demo 80 Aero. Scooters can actually be a lot of fun.
  2. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    If and when you get one and people start asking if you've entered your 2nd childhood, just tell them you haven't left your first. That'll fix em!
    Ginger Beard and 250senuf like this.
  3. blue72beetle

blue72beetle Look at my Wee

Oddometer:
    Dooo eeeet.
    They're fun. I call it my travel sized motorcycle. I had to drive 5 hours away for a work trip for a couple weeks. Taking a motorcycle wasn't practical so I put the Grom in the back of the minivan and rode it around while on my trip.

[​IMG]
  4. NoVa Rider

NoVa Rider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    CCitis, Uke, Clem Fandango and 3 others like this.
  5. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awww, look at that little cutie.

DO IT theshnizzle
    klaviator likes this.
  6. mountaincadre

mountaincadre Long timer

Oddometer:
    In answer to the original question- nay nay and thrice nay.
  7. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    There wasn't really a question, just "talk me out of buying a Grom", so your saying thrice Nay to talking her out of buying a Grom?
  8. BywayMan

BywayMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My issue is that the road is proportionately larger in the area that you can lean them over without facing dangers from either oncoming traffic or vehicles passing on the right, providing a false sense of security that doesn't exist on full size bikes covering the same roads.
  9. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This means you can lean over without getting into the oncoming lane. This would make you more safe. In my experience tiny bikes make you feel like you are going faster than you are. This means you can have fun while actually going slower.

The two biggest safety issues with tiny bikes is: 1. They are smaller so people may not see you and, 2. Too slow to keep up with traffic on faster roads.

The biggest reason to buy a tiny bike: They are an absolute blast on the right roads. The only question that needs to be answered is: Do you have the right kind roads?
  10. WindBlast

WindBlast without music life would Bb

Oddometer:
    I have a friend who commutes on his Grom (20 miles carpool lane). He loves it. He even bought his wife one. He also has a Triumph Scrambler and a KLX400 as choices.
    tankshooter likes this.
  11. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    They are so cute I can't stand it. Especially the yellow ones. Yellow bikes try harder. :D

Unfortunately there is no way for me to test ride one. I have ridden a Honda 125 several years ago. I got off my busa and climbed onto a friends 125. It was like smoking to much weed and the entire universe had ground to a halt.

I think there are roads here where I could use it. I live rural and I can commute via back roads if I choose.

Throwing it in the back of my Honda Element would work as well.
  12. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    IMO, (and that's worth what you paid for it) Groms are terrible value for money. What are they OTD, about $4k? And they can barely manage 60 mph. Go to any thread or forum about Groms and it will be littered with posts like "what was your top speed today?" with replies like "I hit 57 mph downhill with a tailwind!"

I mean, if you never plan to leave town with it and use it for a commuter, that's probably OK, but $4k for a motorcycle that is 1/3rd scale that can't go on freeways is a joke. I'm frankly surprised how many Honda seems to sell. If you want a small, fun bike, there are plenty of options in a more normal-sized frame that can also manage 70mph and maybe carry some bags or a passenger.

I'm not of the opinion that small bikes aren't fun, either. I put 16K miles on a Ninja 250 and now own a TU250 so I get the "small, slow bikes are fun" thing, but Groms seem sooooo expensive and physically small compared to an array of other options that will do so much more, much better.

If you really need to get it out your system, buy a used one and try not to pay more than $2k for it. I suspect, unless its only purpose to you is a commuter tool, you will be bored with it almost immediately unless you live in an area with nothing but empty 45 mph backroads. Where I live, I literally can't ride anywhere without having to hit at least 55-60 within a few miles of leaving my house. The TU is just adequate, and anything slower would sit in the garage.
  13. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    I bought a used one for $2000 when I lived in a small city. In a city they are fantastic, especially if you have roundabouts in the city; blowing by guys on sport bikes through the roundabout is absolutely hilarious. Extremely agile, just fast enough to be great in the city, and if you're into it you'll get tons of people that smile and wave, because as you said it's just so silly.

But then I moved out into the country and I sold it. IMO the bike is just not fun to ride at a constant 50mph, it's very buzzy, it doesn't handle poorly maintained roads very well (the suspension is not great), and it's not practical to ride longer distances without boxes, a top box and/or some type of rack.

I think if you are money conscious, they just don't really make sense next to almost any used bike. But if all you want is fun and you live in an area with lower speeds and a short commute or trip to the store, I think you will find the Grom is pretty fun.
  14. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Your point of view is skewed by where you live. Western states tend to have higher speeds and yes, a Grom probably wouldn't cut it in NM. Earlier this summer I spent some time in the Cleveland, Ohio area. I took my 150cc scooter and it was overkill most of the time as speed limits were almost always between 25 and 40 MPH. A 50cc scooter would have been adequate.

When I leave my house in AL I hit a 50 or 55 MPH road within a mile. My scooter, which is slightly faster than a Grom, does just fine. I have also ridden it in the mountains of TN and NC and it does fine there although it struggles a bit on the steeper hills. A grom would be an absolute blast in the mountains of the east. Go to Deal's Gap and you will see a bunch of Groms and other tiny bikes.

The biggest issue for a tiny bike like a Grom is lack of storage. It simply wouldn't be that useful for me as a commuter because of that. If I lived up in the eastern mountains I would have a Z125. I'd take the Z125 over the Grom because it's a better fit for a full size person. I could get a new Z125 for around $3100 OTD from the local Kawasaki dealer.

As for value, 4K does seem steep if you are comparing bike size to price. If you consider fun per dollar, it can be a real bargain. Bigger bike does not = more fun IMO. I get more smiles per $ out of my 150cc scooter than my bigger bikes. It's also much cheaper to operate. It's my bigger bikes that sit a lot in the garage while I am always riding my scooter.
    LuciferMutt likes this.
  15. reddirtjoe

reddirtjoe motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    Let's Ride some red dirt!!.... NorthCentOklahoma
    Look into the newer CB300 R.....its basically a over-sized Grom ( we have both at our MSF school)
    The Groms are fun....if you wanna try one first...find a MSF or other training class that uses them .
  16. Nytebreed

Nytebreed Need more braaap

Oddometer:
    No Grom only Monkey!

More comfy, looks WAY cooler, and comes in banana yellow.
    Oh yeah it makes faces at you when you turn the key on.

There all talked out of a Grom. You are welcome.
    klaviator likes this.
  17. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I'm 6-2. I sat on a Monkey bike and found it way more comfortable than a Grom. The only negative to the Monkey bike is the higher price.
  18. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would definitely buy used. Would you believe that I'm on my toes on a GROM? I'm a bout 5'2. Short inseam.

I don't think any Monkeys are up in the local used market and I'm not willing to pay to much for a 3rd bike with limited practicality
  19. tankshooter

tankshooter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I talked myself out of a GrOm earlier this year. The price for it and the Kymco Spade I did get were hundreds under MSRP. Spade fit me better at 6'4" . I wanted a mini bike. Grom, z125, and Spade were leading contenders. I'm tired of being in a hurry and having everybody measure up against their neighbors.

As much as the Harley crowd, the Grom ideal is finding your local mini bike group and hanging out, riding, and seeing how people are customizing. As a bike it may fail to impress you long term, but the experience might make losing drag races with civics worth it.

I haven't ridden a Grom. Both it and the z got handlebars in the way of knees, hence my move half a size bigger.
  20. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    Ok, here is the real shizzle; I've always kept one small bike in the garage. I recently adopted a basket Case CB360 that I brought back to life. its fun and all but it takes up needed space in my garage, I have to buy insurance, get it inspected, parts, oil changes, ect. For all that I don't get much use or real enjoyment out of it and I will soon sell it. And that is 30 HP 6 speed and bigger.

Now, last year I threw it in the back of my truck for our annual week at the beach. It was fucking brilliant there. A two mile jaunt down a 30 mph coastal lane past piers, docks, beaches. Fucking brilliant. Rhode island has no helmet law, so I puttered around the docks and bars in my bathing suit , t shirt and sun glasses. So if you really have some specialty use for it like that, then its great.

But try and use it to actually ride somewhere? In the real world? I'd rather smash my hand with a hammer. It is sooo slow and revvy and twitchy. Ugh.

So, for all that, in the end - I say no. It sucks having a small bike. I should take it out just to charge up the battery. Too much effort and commitment that could be put towards a real functional motorcycle.
    Gone Troppo and Nurse Ratched like this.