Talk me out of buying a GROM.

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by theshnizzle, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Nurse Ratched

Nurse Ratched Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm attracted to the Grom (and the Monkey) because they look a lot like the 1960's and 1970's-era Hondas I so desperately longed for as a kid. Compared to the Briggs and Stratton powered, rigid frame, scrub-brake POS mini-bike I had, the Honda Mini-Trail 50's and Trail 70's were mind-boggling. But that was a time and place that is long gone. And buying a Grom or Monkey will not recapture it.

I wish they could.
    BetterLateThanNever likes this.
  2. RC.

RC. ADV FOR LIFE

Oddometer:
    I shit you not, I think stretched, customized GROMS look badass. There's a monthly motorcycle meetup at a bar by my house, and there used to be a couple like that there regularly. There was another guy I used to see in an MX helmet who would bust wheelies down my block on his. Pure joy. I do agree that they are pricey for what you get, though. That last bit is where I tried to talk you out of it.
  3. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer

Oddometer:
    I followed one in traffic the other day. Underpowered. Maybe if it had a 250....
  4. JETalmage

JETalmage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll talk you out of buying a Grom if you talk me out of buying a SuperCub.

JET
  5. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    Groms aren't practical in many locales, especially for the price. One could get a used 150cc or larger displacement, with a 5spd or 6spd, for less $$...then ride slab when needed. A 250cc dualsport or scrambler is generally more versatile.
  6. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I really wanted one of those lawn mower engine powered minibikes. The Honda Trail 70 was the ultimate dream bike for me at that time but my parents wouldn't let me get any of them. I didn't get my first motorcycle until I was 22 and I have been overcompensating ever since.

So, can you go back and recapture what you missed long ago?

I did what most riders do. I started with a fairly small bike (KZ400) and then worked my way up the displacement ladder over the years. But, I never got over my desire for those tiny bikes of my youth. I guess I didn't realize that until I finally bought a very small bike and recaptured some of that thrill of just getting on a bike and riding. I didn't have to go someplace with really great roads. I could just jump on it and have fun just riding to Wal mart or work. I don't see myself ever not having a tiny bike in my garage. I also expect to put more miles on my 150cc scooter than any of my other bikes this year.

Yes, tiny bikes have their limits and they can't replace your full size bike(s) for some types of riding. They can be a great addition to your garage depending on where you live. Obviously they don't make sense if you can't get anywhere without getting on a 60MPH or faster road
    iatethepeach, Ginger Beard and AwDang like this.
  7. AwDang

AwDang Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree with everything you said, but.....there are a class of often overlooked bikes just 1 step up the ladder from the toys.
    The much maligned “beginner bikes”, Duke 390, Vit and Svart 401’s and now the CB300R all of these offer power to weight to fun ratios that equal or exceed a Grom then bring the bonus of 90mph for the win. All for nearly the same price of the Grom and sometime LESS yhan the Monkey.
  8. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I think the bikes you just listed are all great bikes but they won't give you the same experience as a tiny bike. Ride those bikes full blast and you can get going seriously fast. Nothing wrong with that but it's also fun to ride around wide open and keep the speeds sane. Depending on the roads you ride a 250-400cc bike may be a better choice.

My old Super 8 150 was about perfect on this road:

[​IMG]

A Grom would have been great as well.

One of my favorite "sport bikes" was my 2000 XT350

[​IMG]

BTW, my next bike is probably going to be a 250.
  9. AwDang

AwDang Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thats the perfect place for the Hooligans I mentioned!
    Just for fun I looked up the wheelbase of my Scooter and the bikes above.
    Kymco People 150 (16”wheels) - 1380mm
    390 - 1367
    401 - 1357
    CB300r - 1352
    Grom - 1200
    Super Cub - 1242
    So the bikes should be quicker handling with more power to pull hills and dig hard out of corners. That sounds like fun!
    Things keep pointing back to why spend so much on a Grom/Z/Monkey?
  10. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Earlier this year I was at a dealer and had the chance to check out the Svarpilen 401. It looked great and I was comfortable on it. IMO it is a nearly perfect bike for the tight & twisty roads I prefer.

[​IMG]

So why don't I own one?

If I win the lottery I might but......

The fact is I have decided that due to finances and garage space to will limit myself to four bikes. I currently have three so I have room for one more:evil

So why don't I get a 401 or cb300r or similar bike? The same reason I don't have a z125 or Grom. Where I live there is some good riding nearby but the great riding is a couple of hundred miles away. If I bought one of those bikes it would sit in the garage far too much. The 401, while maybe the ultimate backroad blaster is totally impractical for just about anything else. Touring? I don't think so. Commuting? It would need to actually be able to carry some stuff for that.

If I lived in N. GA, E. TN or W NC I might have a different set of bikes in my garage.

Bottom line, the best bikes will vary depending on the rider and where the rider lives/rides.

Would a Grom be a good choice for the OP? Ultimately that's up to the OP to decide. I'm a huge fan of tiny/small bikes but what the best size and type of bike is will vary.
  11. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    OP, did you buy the damn thing yet? :eek7
    boomsling and 250senuf like this.
  12. boomsling

boomsling Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Monkey...get a monkey.
  13. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    Like they say, (Do) --it or get off the pot! :lol2
  14. MadMarkWFO

MadMarkWFO Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Groms are really fun. If you have other bikes. They are super slow have horrible soft forks where if you weigh over 100lbs they are almost bottomed out all the time. But they are great for blasting around the neighborhood or kart track.
    8E5751FA-52A3-4D6F-AEFB-17412FC6B4AB.jpeg
    LuciferMutt and klaviator like this.
  15. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    I like the Grom. Cute... looks like it would be fun. My guess is a 250cc supermoto would get you more bang for the buck.
  16. alienbogey

alienbogey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. bhv

bhv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    if you get a grom try not to get beat up by fat rednecks!
  18. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think I can fit a yz250 motor in one, Take it out to 340cc. I prefer to crash on small bikes I am tucked all I need to do is roll.
  19. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    SSR Buccaneer costs $3300 with the current $300 rebate. It's a 250cc full-sized motorcycle that will easily cruise at mid 70s, and will hit as much as 90 with a lighter rider at sea level.

Likewise, the CSC cafe racer will do 65-70 (barely), and while it's a 3/4 size bike, it's not a tiny little gocart thing like the grom.

I just don't see the allure for a grom....all the licensing requirements of a motorcycle and all the limitations of a scooter. Just... why?

Charles.
    LuciferMutt likes this.
  20. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Some people don't see the allure of a 250cc Chinese bike that will only go around 80 either. Why ride a buccaneer when for the same money you could pick up a used Versys for the same money and get twice the horsepower?

It's really the same thing. I see the allure of a Grom. I chose to get a 150cc scooter instead but it's the same idea. OK, if you are really big then you might not fit on a Grom and it wouldn't make sense but if you do fit it could be silly fun.....on the right roads.

The fact is that some people see the allure of a small bike and others don't. I would think you would understand the allure.

As for the limitations of a scooter. You do know that there are some scooters that would leave your Buccaneer in the dust right?
    strommonster and iatethepeach like this.