Talk me out of buying a GROM.

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by theshnizzle, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer

Oddometer:
    I suppose if you never have to ride it on any kind of main road....
  2. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    I understand the allure of a small displacement motorcycle. Not the allure of a physically small motorcycle. The bear-on-a-tricycle look is fine for the circus, but I’m not on board for a motorcycle. I skipped the CSC SG250 because it’s only a three-quarter sized bike. The grom? If I stood up it might stick in my asscrack.

It’s also a stupid expensive machine, there are so many other better options at the same or lower price, which are also full sized or near enough.

It’s the physical size thing and the cost that I don’t get about the grom. Not the small displacement.

Charles.
  3. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing that you are too big for a Grom. For a smaller sized person a Grom could be a lot of fun. I'm 6-2 and don't fit on a Grom very well either but I actually fit OK on a Z125 or Spade. A monkey bike feels downright comfortable to me.

As for Physically small motorcyles, you should go to Deal's Gap sometime and watch the Fiddies for Life Mini supermoto races on Saturday nights. Full size riders racing Honda CRF50 based supermotos. These things are much smaller than Groms.

strommonster likes this.
  4. liberpolly

liberpolly Nu, shoyn, nudnick!

Oddometer:
    Did anyone mention that you can buy Ninja for about the same money? Much more fun!
  5. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Groms and Z125s are way too much fun. There's something absurdly non-serious about them that brings a smile to my face every time I ride one. My wife has to lock hers away to keep me from sneaking up to Skyline with it
    klaviator and ChopperCharles like this.
  6. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    Your get back whips will drag on the ground.
  7. Nytebreed

Nytebreed Need more braaap

Oddometer:
  8. Gone Troppo

Oddometer:
    Well spotted! A serious problem.
  9. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd like to get a Grom but I'd always feel like this

[​IMG]
    Uke, ChopperCharles and AwDang like this.
  10. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    Plus you're only half as high, so the drop when you fall isn't near as bad.

Or a rougher old 600 super sport and get four times the horsepower...

See below.

Thing is all it takes is two people with anything to have fun. We had a blast on the Honda Aero 80s when they came out. My friend/neighbor bought the first one, scooter lover, and I'd ride our demo scooter. We'd go "high speed touring" on the back roads around our area. A lot of fun.

That's somewhat true for me on any other sort of bike. Dual sports ridden with other dual sport riders and bikes of reasonably similar performance ridden by other friends/family. If it was Groms (I'd do the Kaw) we'd find what's fun to ride. Same with the 250s, dual sports, and road bikes. It was not near as much fun riding with my friend when he was riding his Honda Shadow Aero 1100 and I was on my KLX650. Picture a 600 lb 36 hp cruiser on back roads... can you say "watching paint dry"? You know it's bad when some guy on a 40 hp 650 dual sport is seriously held back by an 1100. He no longer owns that bike. Now he has a DRz400SM and a ZX1400 along with some others - including a good condition original Suzuki Katana 1000.

In a side note, I was trying to get his opinion and thoughts on the Yamaha XSR700 (which I eventually bought) and he didn't care for the look. No problem, I just was looking for his thoughts, being fairly creative and all. The bike is kind of a blank canvas with a lot of creative directions to go. Then I remembered, he has that Katana - talk about the pot calling the kettle black. But I guess it was like looking in a mirror since I never did like the Katana's appearance. Both bikes look better with riders on board. Plus we'd both have fun going out riding the two together. The important part.

OP, give up - give in! You need the Africa Grom!

[​IMG]
  11. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    IMG_20190518_143603124.jpg

We have two bw80s that are a blast.
    klaviator likes this.
  12. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    IMG_9451.jpg
  13. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Africa Grom! I love it! :D
  14. klaviator

Oddometer:
    AwDang likes this.
  15. Gone Troppo

Oddometer:
  16. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    Ouch! Bet that left a mark! Mom or dad has a big boo boo to kiss and make better. I hope she didn't get too banged up. Kids are pretty resilient.

Rider posted it in the "New Honda" thread in Road Warriors. Pretty cool! I'd ride it.
  17. klaviator

Oddometer:
    For those who think a Grom is too small to go anywhere on, these two went from NYC to the west coast via the TAT. I know they got on at least a few main roads.

[​IMG]
    iatethepeach likes this.
  18. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I read the whole thread on those two on thier groms. Admirable stuff for Sure! I clicked on the fiddy link and laughed out loud. And then I saw the Africa GROM and my breath caught in my throat. Yowza!

And I agree, a stretched and slammed GROM does look badass. There was one at my hubbys work that had been done to the hilt and it looked awesome.

I haven’t bought one yet!

I’m waiting for that smokin deal or one that needs a bit of work or is someone’s failed project. I don’t think I want to get a 250 or 400 anything. I feel like it’s getting to close to my triple. I would prefer to have a third( not needed) bikecthat is way different from what I already own.

I just got back from the gap and there was a guy there on a Kwai 125 I think it was, just ripping it up with a pack of his sportbike friends following him. Just seeing stuff like that makes me happy.
    klaviator likes this.
  19. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did a quick search for that Africa GROM thread, couldn’t find it....linky anybody?
  20. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    if you are not having fun with a Grom, you are not trying hard enough.
    IMG_3949.JPG
    klaviator likes this.