Talk me out of buying a GROM.

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by theshnizzle, Sep 2, 2019.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't think I would have to try very hard!
    Big John Sny likes this.
  2. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    A guy posted the picture of the Africa Grom in the "New Honda" thread in I think the road warriors section. I believe he may own it, don't know. It isn't production by any means.
  3. jgiacobbe

jgiacobbe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had one for 3 months. Poured money into it, exhaust, intake, tuner new tires. To get to my local shop for inspection took 50 minutes instead of 20. Realized it was too slow even for my in town riding. Got tired of it and sold it. Also, everyone wants stupid money for a used grom. Like 20 miles on it and asking over MSRP because they put stickers on it.
  4. Hamamelis

Hamamelis Inmate

Oddometer:
    The Africa Grom is a shop special project from Rally Raid Products in the UK. To my knowledge it's presently one of a kind, due to the spoked wheels being surprisingly difficult to make
  5. markk53

Oddometer:
    There ya go! Still a cool bike.
  6. fore

fore Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I purchased a leftover Z125 in July for a good price and I can't stop riding it. Any excuse to go ride it, I do. It just passed 2000 miles today.

I have no problems keeping up with traffic and honestly the only time I want more power is the rare broken yellow passing zone(I'd love to live where some of you do. Drivers around here can't even drive at the speed limit steadily, let alone exceed it. Someone who can drive 50 in a 40 for more than half a mile is my F'ing hero). It will hold 55 on flat ground no problem and is gear limited to 63. The first week I had it I got pulled over for the first time on a motorcycle and the cop said he clocked me doing 60 in a 30. Luckily he let me off with a warning, probably because of how ridiculous I looked at dawn on a sunday morning in my 2 piece leathers on a tiny motorbike.

I debated with myself on whether I should get a scooter for the practicality, but with a rear rack and a milk crate it does everything I'd need a scooter to do and it's much more fun to shift. I'm totally happy with my purchase. It gets 100mpg wound to stop 75 percent of the time, costs less than a date night to insure, and is a blast to ride. A Grom can't be too much different.
    Hamamelis and klaviator like this.
  7. redneckK20

redneckK20 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Only reason not to buy a grom is if you want to wait for the CT125 to come out so you have a little more off-road capability from the factory. Unless they decide not to make it.
  8. markk53

Oddometer:
    OP, did you buy the damn thing yet or not? :eek7
  9. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a chance to chase a Z125 and a Grom through Deal's Gap last week on my 150cc scooter. What a blast:ricky:ricky:ricky:ricky