1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Talk to me of skydiving...

Discussion in 'Sports' started by maineDave, Aug 13, 2020.

1. maineDave

maineDave Long timer

Oddometer:
    And particularly AFF.

I'm ground school and two jumps into this, through a DZ and outfit in southern Maine; have been casting about for a new skills-oriented way to waste money and this seemed a logical thing to try.

Pretty much a cold-start deal, I had never done a tandem ride or even visited a DZ that wasn't part of a FTX during my brief time as a leg grunt wBITD. Went to the ground school one weekend, wx hold all day the next time out, finally got the first two-instructor jump the following weekend and a second jump this past Monday. First jump was fine but so much distraction that it was hard to back-brief accurately, and was at their minimum (for cat A) ceiling d/t clouds, so a bit foreshortened; this past jump way better, from 15ish and more relaxed, could process it all and had a good sequence and more time under canopy to feel things out.

Those that have followed this course, has it kept your interest, challenged your skills?
    Do you like the community? It seems a little bro/brah/tat-heavy, but I'm trying to look beyond that at who's serious about getting it right, helping FNGs, and who's just an adrenaline junkie and might be better to be avoided. Same as in the skiing, climbing groups, I'm just a fair bit older than the core crowd this time around.

Long-time jumpers, does it get to a plateau? Especially if you don't have any plans to wingsuit or BASE? Or is tuning your gear, and looking at different drop areas enough to provide variety through a 4-6 month season?

All input helpful as I decide how far to take this. Things like work schedule, wx, and money will also play factors in how often I can keep working through the course before needing to refresh/remediate steps, I think.

TIA.
    maineDave
  2. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I was more drawn to learning how to fly the plane...than to jump out of it.
  3. maineDave

maineDave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, that's been a life-long interest here, esp rotary. At this point, however, the higher cost threshold for training and for rental/ownership make it less likely something I'd be likely to continue.
    Hucking out so far feels more concentrated and visceral, similar to other things I've enjoyed as an adult.

mD
  4. Askel

Askel Perma-n00b

Oddometer:
  5. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in Supporter

Oddometer:
    Get after it.....fun people and mind expansion. I'm some what retired....but I did a few thousand skydives... and about 100+ high end big wall BASE jumps.

What do u want to know?
  6. maineDave

maineDave Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^^
    I can see working through the skills building and learning the equipment/packing sustaining my interest; at that point, though, what kept you coming back to get that far into it?
    Was it working very specific points or precision in FF, or being more involved under the canopy, or landing? Or was the skydiving a means to get to BASE or gliding/distance for you?
    Or was the jumping a way to hang out with a certain group of folks you enjoyed?

I'm not a particularly social person, lean toward more solo or partnered pursuits when possible, and the sort of implied group participation in a DZ and more involved jumping might be a wall at some point, and ways to not let that happen.

mD
  7. PoundSand

PoundSand Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did AFF right after college, when I was in a new town. It was cool, the learning curve was steep, which is awesome. Skydivers, in general, seem super cool and it was a cool way to meet new people somewhere new, including some very, very cool chicks. :-D only did it for a little bit - it's pricey (to a young guy) when you don't have your own equipment, and buying your own equipment is pricey...