Tallinn to Anywhere on a KTM 450

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by memento13, May 25, 2019.

1. memento13

memento13 Travelling in Africa

Oddometer:
    Seems like all the overlanders are leaving Africa and plan to return next year. Maybe I have been a bit optimist staying and it's gonna be a long wait. Having too much time to watch stock market, my only income, crash, is not helping too much either. At least have still some booze left...:drink
  2. DunkingBird

DunkingBird Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is what I call

upload_2020-4-4_20-51-6.png

3. forgorin

forgorin Stuck in Japan

Oddometer:
    Hey Dude, hope you have a good supply of booze! Take it easy and catch up on some reading. Looking forward to seeing some of your other photos.
  4. Essbee

Essbee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The way things are going it won't surprise me in the least if they extend the lockdown.
  5. memento13

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that would be my prediction also. Every country with some sense are extending the lock down right now. I'm ok with month or two, after that I would go nuts i think.
  6. memento13

Oddometer:
    Seems like there's gonna be announcement of lock down extension today by the president...
  7. memento13

Oddometer:
    and like was predicted, additional 2 weeks lockdown, so minimally 3 weeks lock down left.
  8. Corneel

Corneel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great read. Thinking of making a 500 my daily bike in belgium. I hope the locdown is over soon. Loved to read about west afrika. Also about nabmibia. I rented a hylux van in cape town last summer and drove it all over namibia (6000kms total). I sometimes still dream of those vast wide open desert scenes were you can see a 60-70 km far (literally. I counted them). Hopefully you stay free of corona and can carry on this epic journey!
    memento13 likes this.
  9. forgorin

forgorin Stuck in Japan

Oddometer:
    Hey, was chatting with some friends in Cape Town. It seems that things are starting to get pretty bad out there. Hope you're keeping your self safe and entertained.
    memento13 likes this.
  10. memento13

Oddometer:
    Everything seems quite quiet around here were I stay (Hillcrest, Durban). Have gone to a shop a couple of times and thing seem quite under control. Although it seems a bit richer neighbourhood, so don't paint a real picture. No idea how poor people can survive this 5 weeks, hope government is providing food instead of stick.
    squadraquota and DavidM1 like this.
  11. memento13

Oddometer:
    Thanks, starting to doubt if I can continue this journey, i don't think they will open borders for tourist anytime soon.
  12. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah lets hope the goverment will help its people- What you keep your self busy with, must be tough. Weve got plenty catch up work -diy around the house, bike maintenance touch up jobs etc and then i was due for leave so time for reading of ride reports via websites and u tube. Be safe and holler if we can help
  13. memento13

Oddometer:
    Thanks, luckily not bored yet, even enjoying it so far. Learning some work related stuff that I like to start working on when I end this trip one point, reading books, Netflix etc. Even doing some training. Have not even got into looking my travel pics and videos yet, so wi be no problem keeping myself occupied.

Although 5 weeks gonna be a challenge at on point, last time I stayed in one place so long was 2017.
  14. Essbee

Essbee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that is what everyone here is talking about....it's 'ok' when you have a big garden etc, but imagine when there're like 5 people living in the confines of a say 6m x 3m shack....and half our population lives like that.
    memento13 likes this.
  15. Chris S

Chris S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Romet, just found your blog while killing time. A lot of that to kill right now.
    We met about a year ago in a Moroccan desert campsite - me on a Himalayan.
    Looks like you've been having quite an adventure since then, with your shit not always turning into fertilizer fast enough ;--)
    A lot of gritty home truths in your report. You are very resilient!
    Like you say, best thing about a light bike is that you pretty much know you can go anywhere and not get unduly exhausted/stuck while trying.

I suppose you're stuck now, if heading north. I get the feeling the virus is only just starting its sweep across Africa...
    Fyi - a long way away but Egypt need not be a dead end: ferry Sinai > Jordan > Israel > RoRo freighter-ferry to Greece (not a container but you must fly).
    or Sudan ferry Saudi (visas easier now) > Jordan > Israel, etc.

Enjoy your studies!
    memento13 likes this.
  16. memento13

Oddometer:
    Hi Chris, its good to hear from you. Yeah, seems like I got stuck now even with my light bike :D. Will see how things progress, I agree that this virus is still starting to sweep through Africa and there is good chance that international borders here will be closed for a while. In that case I'll just ship my bike somewhere else or back to home, but hopefully things are not locked up for too long. Nothing else to do right now other than wait.
    Chris S likes this.
  17. Chris S

Chris S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think countywide lockdowns may ease before people start ignoring them – so you can carry on exploring RSA.
    Not so sure about borders – at least for foreign tourists.
    Someone mentioned that international air freight prices have dropped because their is now excess capacity.
    It may mean that flying your bike somewhere becomes cheaper than it was. And no weeks of waiting. (Not that there's a shortage of that right now).
    memento13 likes this.
  18. memento13

Oddometer:
    My exploring of RSA depends a bit of my visa and carnet de passage (i'm already on a 3 month grace period from Customs Union) extension, both are running out. Will apply for extensions soon, although i overstayed both Namibia and Botswana visas, so maybe I should just take overstaying as tradition now:D
    Chris S likes this.
  19. Chris S

Chris S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting what you said about the absolute value of getting a CdP for a trans-Af.
    I hope people were listening!
  20. memento13

Oddometer:
    At one point when this lock down finally ends, I think i'll rent a 4x4 to visit some NP-s. Prices should be down and it should be less crowded, as it takes time before all the tourists come back :)

Editing my Morocco videos now, will post it soon.
    gulfcoaster likes this.