Tallinn to Anywhere on a KTM 450

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by memento13, May 25, 2019.

1. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    4x might be a good idea, pics of prides of lions lazing on the NP roads, trending in the news today.
    memento13 likes this.
  2. memento13

memento13 Travelling in Africa

Oddometer:
    So seems like the lock down has been extended indefinitely. This risk adjusted response with all those different levels is just a hogwash. The truth is I don't see how countries with strict lock down plan to open up. As soon they open, there is gonna be second wave of pandemic, feels like just postponing the inevitable. Only German and Sweden approach seems to make any sense without a treatment or vaccine, which does not look likely any time soon. There is not even reliable test for antibodies yet. Heading back to Europe starts to make more sense with every day. Can't even buy beer around here, not that I'm much drinker alone.
    ovlaicu and gulfcoaster like this.
  3. DunkingBird

DunkingBird Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Even if you are stuck, it is a welcome distraction to hear from you :bmwrider
    memento13 likes this.
  4. neppi

neppi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Could you still get back home?

We’re (live, not stuck) in NZ and couldn’t get back to Finland even if we wanted it soooo baaad. If we had a truckload of green (checked it a few weeks back just for curiosity and it would’ve been ~$80 000nz for the whole family to take one of the last more straighter flights fo FIN. Qatar has quit flying now so not even that option anymore) we could get a flight out of the country, but don’t know where, and completing the trip would be quite impossible...

Do you have anybody there you can talk to? Was it an AirBnB you’re at? Are the hosts around? Just to talk with another Person makes a big difference...

Are you allowed for walks an exercise? Does somebody have a bicycle there you could use?

Head Aega!
  5. memento13

Oddometer:
    Not sure if it is still possible fly back, never looked into it as I didn't think it was necessary, but slowly starting to think about it as I don't see things returning to normal anytime soon. Yeah been talking with my Airbnb hosts and had even a Braai with them the other day, so it is actually not as bad as I maybe sounded. No walks or cycling allowed here, only taste of freedom is walking to grocery store.

Kiitos!
    DunkingBird and gulfcoaster like this.
  6. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    That seems strange....things are somewhat locked down here (except of course essential business such as liquor stores and car washes :lol3) but we are encouraged to get out and exercise as much as possible. I take walks almost daily and play golf once a week. Restaurants are doing take-out and retail store have just started curb side "shopping". Some shops are starting to rebel and open for business anyway. There seems to be some debate about the legality of forcing people to not work and keep their businesses closed and not provide a way to take care of their families.
    DunkingBird likes this.
  7. neppi

neppi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Different place - different approach. NZ is all closed. No take-aways or any ”special stores” (parts, hardware n such) are open, but only supermarkets and even they control how many customers are in and that you use the hand sanitizer at the door... walking, running, cycling are allowed, but near home and not in groups (same address family members is ok).

In your case I would check the flights and stuff related, just to know if it was even possible to go home. For me it would be easier to adapt if I knew I couldn’t leave even if I wanted to (or vs). Takes out one X from the equation.
    memento13 and DunkingBird like this.
  8. DunkingBird

Oddometer:
    At the moment it is possible to fly from Cape Town to Tallinn (1 CHF = 0.95 Euro).

upload_2020-4-26_9-0-39.png
    memento13 likes this.
  9. morse

morse Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And meanwhile back at home in Estonia we're all going braaap!
    Best to keep distance from others (while off bike) and not ride in groups etc but it's quite OK to go on a ride and such! Come back home ;)
  10. memento13

Oddometer:
    Yeah, sadly at this point i would if it wasn't that complicated.
  11. morse

morse Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah! Sorry for smartassing :D
    Hope you can find some peace of mind down there and hopefully this all will blow over soon and we can see new cool pictures from you!
    Stay healthy!
    memento13 likes this.
  12. memento13

Oddometer:
    Covid cases seems to be on rise around here, it makes sense to start looking way back to Europe. Don't have the finances nor patience to wait here until international travel will be allowed again. Heck, seems like can't even ride to Cape Town anytime soon. Even when borders will be opened, there gonna be probably 14 days quarantine after crossing every border.

Question remains what to do with the bike. My carnet extension was approved for 1 year, waiting this to be finalised, but seems I could leave bike here. Problem is that if I return back to home, I will have to start working again and probably can't have another long term trip anytime soon. Not sure if it is even possible to ship the bike back to Europe right now.

Feels such a bummer after just spending fortune by going Europe and fixing all the stuff like luggage, so I could continue trip on east coast, but now have to go back again.
  13. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    Where are you now ?
  14. memento13

Oddometer:
    Still in the same place I have been last 1,5 months, Hillcrest near Durban.
  15. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    aah haven't followed that closely if you were close to Cape Town I could have asked my brother to store the bike for freebies
    memento13 likes this.
  16. memento13

Oddometer:
  17. DunkingBird

Oddometer:
    Current developments are putting the health care system of South Africa under severe pressure.
    upload_2020-5-12_19-41-48.png
  18. morse

morse Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you sure, it’s not possible to ship the bike back? My experience these past months is that pallets move around the world fairly well, it’s just a bit more expencsive in some cases and it might take a few weeks longer than normal...

I have no experience with Africa though... If you need any help regarding contacts for Estonian transportation agents, who would be able to quote a price for shipping your bike home, leave me PM, I can try and ask if any of my contacts are able to work in your area too.

My suggestion is to pack your bike on a pallet in a local transportation terminal to prepare it for shippin, before you leave...

If this is possible at all, I mean.

Good luck!
    memento13 likes this.
  19. memento13

Oddometer:
    That looks quite bad, no chance restriction will be eased if it continues like this.
  20. raulpereira4

raulpereira4 n00b

Oddometer:
    What good photos, a few years ago I was able to visit Cape Town and it really is wonderful and has many spaces to do Enduro
    memento13 likes this.