Tallinn to Anywhere on a KTM 450

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by memento13, May 25, 2019.

1. memento13

memento13 Travelling in Africa

Oddometer:
    On a negative side, seems like I'm gonna continue be stuck here. Got response from Estonian consul here:
    "According to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Tallinn, all repatriation flights came to an end at the end of April."

But on a positive side, finally finished my Morocco video:

roadcapDen, Jersey87, Achro and 6 others like this.
  2. memento13

Oddometer:
    Morocco is one of my favorite countries I have ever visited. Has everything: great food, nice people, excellent riding in desert and mountains. Only downside is that alcohol is only available in touristic hotels. Take Chris's Morocco Overland book and can ride there for months.
  3. memento13

Oddometer:
    The more I look into ways getting back to Estonia, the less I actually want to do it. I feel like unconsciously I hope all these leads to fail.
    Saso and ovlaicu like this.
  4. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice video
    memento13 likes this.
  5. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah were not sure what the future lockdown crap is in SA anymore but think by end of may things will go belly up or come sort of right. Follow local adv riding on wildog adv ride forum, plenty guys to assist with accomodation ideas updates on actual status of country and bike storage. Hope you make it down to cape town, will gladly share some routes ideas, stuff to see etc
    memento13 likes this.
  6. memento13

Oddometer:
    Thanks, yeah hope to get to Cape Town also, minimally. Otherwise it gonna feel like unfinished, although did not really have end goal in mind when starting the trip.
  7. memento13

Oddometer:
    As I already have posted Mauritania video before, next one is Senegambia. This was where the 'real' Africa began, including all the bureaucracy. It definitely took a little bit to get accustomed, would definitely enjoy it more next time. It's country more about enjoying the culture than dirt riding, but still managed to find some sand and bushes.

Cafeguzzi, Saso and DunkingBird like this.
  8. WHYNOWTHEN

WHYNOWTHEN where are the pedals?

Oddometer:
    What would happen if you simply packed up and rode towards Cape Town?
  9. memento13

Oddometer:
    I imagine if I would use mostly trails, I would sneak through. Not sure if they have checkpoints etc, have not move further than 500m to the groceries shop. Right now I would be happy even if I could move within KwaZulu-Natal to somewhere I could ride a bit regularly. Supposedly at countryside restrictions are quite loose.

Other problem is that my visa is expired, don't want get caught with some monkey business. Supposedly it is not a problem, but can change quickly if I start violating restrictions.
  10. HO53

HO53 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi,

Must be really frustrating for you having your trip halted like this. Whatever you decide I live in the Hillcrest area and can offer safe parking for your bike (free of course)should you decide to go back to Europe or need a place to store it.

Cheers,

Andy
    memento13 likes this.
  11. Essbee

Essbee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now everyone is talking of us going to "level 3" fairly soon, that's easing off big time on many restrictions....here's to hoping.

Romet, if you are still thinking of that top end rebuild, that guy down the road from me is working at home ( well....his busines IS at home ), I see activity in his garage often and guys picking up bikes ( naughty!! )....just shout if you want me to get his details. I can vouch for him, he is very well known and reputable amongst the KTM people around here.
  12. memento13

Oddometer:
    Thanks! If I can continue riding long term, then definitely want a new top end. If I have stop here, will overhaul it back home.
    Essbee likes this.
  13. memento13

Oddometer:
    Seems that there actually would be flights to Estonia using Qatar Airways. In the beginning of June, less than 1000€. Not sure how valid this information is of course and would have to get to JHB somehow.
  14. Frostguiding

Frostguiding Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting the Morocco video - it brought back good memories. I've been there twice with Chris Scott's book and recognised a few of those tracks. Good luck with the onward journey, whether it's South or North!
  15. memento13

Oddometer:
    Thanks, yeah, a lot of the routes I rode were from his book.
  16. Stabilo_Boss

Stabilo_Boss Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What is the maximum fuel range you could achieve with your extended fuel tank and giant loop gas bag? Did you run out of or have close calls with fuel?

Also I wanted to say that your videos are quite spectacular. I now know what you mean when you previously stated that with your set-up you knew you could tackle almost any terrain.

N.b. I apologise for possibly asking a question already discussed in this thread.
  17. memento13

Oddometer:
    Tank is 17L and gives 400km on easy road, 300km on tougher trail, even less on deep sand. GL is another ~4L, so add another 100km. So depending on terrain 350-500km. I actually never measured it exactly, so these are estimates, I have definitely gotten 500+ km. I usually don't fill the GL bag.

There have been some situations in Mauritania, Gabon, Congo Republic, Namibia and have had to ask around locals to get fuel, before it gets to a close call. But there were usually also other options like choosing different route.

I would prefer a bit more range, I carried extra 4L in water canister in Namibia and it leaked all over my luggage, so had to cut short exploring Kaokoland. I'm actually thinking of getting another GL bag to increase range. I think just one bigger 2 gal (~8L) GL bag in total would be perfect. Now I maybe just get second smaller bag.

There is limit of weight you can carry on a light enduro bike. Usually when you need to carry extra fuel, you going off the beaten track, meaning you have to carry also extra water and food, so a lot longer range of fuel would not help too much. With a group of bikes it would be different story.

Long story short, I think fuel range have been quite adequate and don't think I have missed anything because of this.
  18. brucemuzik

brucemuzik Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Romet, did you change your fork and shock springs before leaving, or are you still on the stock ones? I have a xcw500 in Cape Town that I'm about to turn into a travel bike.
  19. Cafeguzzi

Cafeguzzi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    terrific videos! Yes, morocco is awesome!!
    memento13 likes this.
  20. memento13

Oddometer:
    Fork spring are stock. I started the trip with also with stock shock spring. As I rode TET in Europe which is quite slow and technical, it was not a problem there, but I changed shock spring to stiffer one in Ivory Coast, because with higher speeds I started to bottom out a lot.

I'm around 80kg, never weighed my luggage but I guess it is around 30kg.

Other thing about the rear shock is that it dialing mechanism is stupid plastic, so you can't really dial preload on the road. I'm looking to change it to xtrig mechanism, so I could have softer rear when I go ride without luggage.

Good luck with your build, hopefully we will meet on a trail!