Tallinn to Cape Town on a KTM 450

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by memento13, May 25, 2019.

1. memento13

memento13 Travelling in Africa

Oddometer:
    I just washed air filter with KN cleaner liquid and it seemed quite clean. Oiled with Motul spray, I would assume it should be ok.
  2. Asianrider

Asianrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great RR ! I'm enjoying it. Can you tell more about the maintenance, how often do you change oil ? how man km/hours interval ? I assume your average speed has been quite high riding with long stretches of tarmac. And have you been able to find good quality oil ?

I've been through Africa myself (800gs) and had broken piston rings on return. Probably bad oil, but who knows, maybe bad luck. But I guess the EXC engine is more sensitive to bad oil and longer intervals than the BMW twin.

Good luck getting your bike back to full power. Namibia is spectacular and you'll want to spend time there !
  3. memento13

Oddometer:
    I try to change oil every 2000km or 50h, but have done 3000km because I did not found good oil in Cameroon. Worst oil I have used was Yamalube 10w40 once. Other times have used 10w50 or better (motorex 10w50, 10w60, 20w60, motul 10w60). Currently using Galp 15w50. As it is not easy to find good oil, I have started to carry one change in (1.5L) in fuelbottle. Also useful when drowning the bike in the puddle.

Currently the bike has 38650km 816h, so the average speed is not high as I try to ride rougher routes whenever possible. Also first 15k km was done on TET, which was also quite slow going, especially in winter.

Yeah, thanks, plan to have some offroad fun in Namibia, but first have to sort out the bike (new tires, sort out lack of power etc.). Sadly have to skip most Namib desert in Angola.
    Asianrider and yokesman like this.
  4. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    when in thailand we got some Fake castoral oil, 500ks , black oil n down on the glass, another change n we were good on our 17k km yammie 150.
    this year both our bikes had the bad fuel problem,just dead at the throttle. both much less picky on fuel than your KTM, can run 80-85 ok.Added a double dose of fuel injection cleaner n the donkey was once again a stallion. the sound of the pipe back to that nice bark. My animal control pipe was back in business, dogs dont chase the bike after a blip.
  5. memento13

Oddometer:
    One Angolan said fuel in here still low quality, but should be good in Namibia. Will see soon if it gets any better there.
  6. memento13

Oddometer:
    And now wheel bearings bad, both, front and especially rear. Hopefully they last to Windhoek, 1300 km, as I don't have spares with me.
  7. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    maybe one of the repair shops have a needle for a grease gun , to shoot behind the seal. could get you where you are going.?
    memento13 likes this.
  8. Riel

Riel Explorer

Oddometer:
    Perhaps, the Fuel Filter is starting to plug up ?
    memento13 likes this.
  9. memento13

Oddometer:
    Just when I thought my visa problems were history after getting through Nigeria and DRC...

As anyone was saying that Namibia and South Africa are visa free, I didn't even check and been riding through Angola like an idiot and just before Namibia found out that coming from obscure country like Estonia, I actually need to have visas for both. Not even visa on arrival option.

Seems like my only option is to make an expensive flight from Lubango back to Luanda for Namibia visa and send my passport and long list of documents to Finland for South Africa visa.

Although I did enjoy riding today, jungle and savannah has changed into arid desert landscapes. Feels sometimes like I'm back in Morocco. Can't post pics as net is extremely slow.
    squadraquota likes this.
  10. memento13

Oddometer:
    Yes, that's what I was thinking. Changed microfilter today, will change in-tank filter tomorrow.
  11. memento13

Oddometer:
    Why not just take the seals of and grease? That's what I have been doing occasionally.

Or you mean seals of the bearing itself?
  12. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    thinking they are sealed bearings, there are grease needles made to insert under the seal to enable greasing a sealed bearing.
    memento13 likes this.
  13. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    look at visalist.io, type: estonia, a color coded map for type of visas required for the african continent will appear.
  14. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    might find someone with a grease needle at an agriculture service shop.
  15. DunkingBird

DunkingBird Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Since Estonia is in the EU and has the same Passport Power Rank as Iceland and Australia (they don't need visas for South Africa), I wouldn't have expected this.

https://www.passportindex.org/byRank.php

So you can't avoid a control.

https://www.passportindex.org/comparebyPassport.php?p1=ee&p2=ch&p3=is&p4=au&fl=&s=yes

memento13 likes this.
  16. memento13

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that's how I run into this situation, did not expect this.
    DunkingBird likes this.
  17. memento13

Oddometer:
    Yes, they are sealed. Will if I can get them regreased. Thanks.
  18. memento13

Oddometer:
    Unbelievably found some suitable bearings for the rear in the middle of desert. God bless Chinese :D
  19. Asianrider

Asianrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I'm interested in adventurizing an enduro bike as well, so your experience is invaluable. 2000 km is more than what Aaron or Paul are doing, if I remember well, more like 1000-1500 km interval between oil changes. 3000 would be straining it quite a bit, maybe some of your problems come from bad oil ?fortunately you're almost out of "deep Africa". Are you planning on opening up the top end in South Africa ?
  20. memento13

Oddometer:
    Yes, engine gonna get overhaul soon, probably in South Africa if I can get visa for it. I think 2000km is totally fine, have went over it only once. I did TET with same intervals, was even harder on the bike there, piston was changed in Spain at 15k km and mechanic said engine is totally fine. I will continue using same intervals. Maybe would only try to clean/oil air filter abit more often.

I think my current problems are because fuel filters. Changed microfilter and bike already felt better. Will change in tank filter today and see how it is. Kind of stupid not changing them before as I'm carrying spares.

Problems I'm having are minor, it just that I try to avoid bigger problems and try to look fixing thing when my ass on the bike says something is not right. As I'm quite an rookie, I'm learning maintenance as I travel.
    forgorin, Riel and Asianrider like this.