1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Tallinn to Cape Town on a KTM 450

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by memento13, May 25, 2019.

1. memento13

memento13 Travelling in Africa

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'm aware of that, but not flying home. Not in a rush to anywhere, if this situation arises, will be fine to stay somewhere here in Southern Africa for longer.

I actually hope SA closes its border at one point, so I could stay longer than my visa :lol3
    jays100, gulfcoaster and DunkingBird like this.
  2. Stabilo_Boss

Stabilo_Boss Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Are you in SA now? What are your plans for tracks while you are there?
  3. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
  4. memento13

Oddometer:
    Nah, got everything ready to go too late today and decided to postpone going to the border for tomorrow morning, which in hindsight was bad decision as there is news that SA is closing 2/3 of land borders and I'm maybe stuck in Botswana. One French couple with overlanding truck in my campqa decided to run for the border today.

https://www.businessinsider.co.za/c...verything-we-know-about-covid-19-in-sa-2020-3

Found also that I have overstayed my Botswana visa now. They stamped me in for 7 days, because that's what I said I'm gonna be here max, did not think I'm that lazy getting everything sorted.

Anyway, will head to border tomorrow morning and see what happens.

My plan in SA was to head to Lesotho and from there towards Cape Town. Have some routes bookmarked, but generally my plans are as flexible as my 40 days visa and border closures allow. Any hints about good trails are welcome :)
    jays100 likes this.
  5. ThirdUncle

ThirdUncle More will than skill

Oddometer:
    Might be a good time to switch from a bike to a yacht and spend the next 6-10 months solo-crossing a few oceans.
    memento13 likes this.
  6. memento13

Oddometer:
  7. memento13

Oddometer:
    Funny you say that, just before leaving Estonia for this trip, I got my small ship (<25 meters) captains license. Although I would have almost no idea how to drive the yacht. Would not be bad plan indeed in current situation.
  8. memento13

Oddometer:
    Another news:
    https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/...res-national-state-of-disaster-on-coronavirus

I'm an idiot not going over the border when I had the chance, but will still give it a try today. Main problem is that I visited Europe 10 days ago. Maybe they just ask me to wait another 10 days before letting me enter, that would be quite OK.

"Thirty-five of the country’s 53 land ports of entry will be shut from March 16"

"Nationals from the U.S., U.K., China, Italy, Germany, South Korea, Iran and Spain will be denied visas, while any foreigners who’ve visited a high-risk country in the past 20 days will also be refused entry, Ramaphosa said. Travelers from medium-risk countries such as Portugal, Hong Kong and Singapore will be required to undergo high-intensity screening."
    jays100 likes this.
  9. DunkingBird

DunkingBird Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wish you good luck.

10. memento13

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Got through the border. :clap

They gave me some hassle at Botswana side for overstaying. Absolutely no problem at the South Africa side, stamped in without questions. Maybe they have not managed to implement the restrictions yet.

On the negative side, have only 31 days left on my visa, thought it will start counting when I enter country, but apparently not.
    gulfcoaster and DunkingBird like this.
  11. neppi

neppi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there an option for extending it? I know in some countries you can do that, thou conditions apply...
  12. forgorin

forgorin Stuck in Japan

Oddometer:
    Glad you made it in. Great place to get stuck in for a few months!!!!
  13. memento13

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Been thinking how to continue now. Most people seem to think I should not continue riding and self quarantine myself somewhere. Which I would happily do if my visa would not be so short. In the same time I would not want to be the guy who brought Corona to Lesotho.

Currently in Jo'burg and have room til tomorrow, which will mark also 2 week from being in Europe, so there is less chance I came with the virus. I would be riding in less populated areas, but in the same time it would have more contacts with less privileged people.

As I see it now, I'll continue riding, but will stay away from people as much as possible and camp around. Which is my preferred way anyway.

It's tough time we're having, but I'm glad I'm in SA and not stuck in Europe.
  14. memento13

Oddometer:
    Seems like Sani Pass border is closed, I guess Lesotho is not possible near future and have to skip it for now and will head towards Cape Town and hopefully have time for Lesotho later.

I read that extending SA visa can take a long time, but you are allowed to stay in country during that time. Sounds like heading to Cape Town and starting visa process there. Main problem would be if extending visa fails, I can't go to Lesotho later.

Also getting new piston and cylinder for the bike there as preparation for East Africa, if possible with short time frame.

FB_IMG_1584434085263.jpg
    neppi likes this.
  15. memento13

Oddometer:
    Now found out that one of my credit card has fraudulent transactions. Only ca 40 EUR, but one less card now. Luckily I did some new cards back home. Riding from Ivory Coast to Botswana it was my only card and I would have been in deep s**t, when this would have happened then.
    gulfcoaster and jays100 like this.
  16. ovlaicu

ovlaicu Noob

Oddometer:
    The whole world is going to shit man...:))))
    jays100 likes this.
  17. brucemuzik

brucemuzik Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Romet. I'm not sure if you need and advice on routes in South Africa, but I thought I'd offer some anyways and it's my favorite place in the world.

It's a pity that Lesotho's borders are closed. However, if they open again and you're already in Cape Town, you can put your bike on a train from Cape Town to Queenstown or Bloemfontein and ride into Lesotho from there. You can go overnight or during the day. Day trains are better IMO as you get to see the scenery while relaxing. Last time I went it was about $150 for me and my bike if I remember correctly. Bikes under 400cc ride cheaper, so just cover up your 450 stickers and they will never know that you're actually 50cc over. But tickets at Cape Town train station. Of course, this assumes that the trains are running during Corona panic.

On your ride down to Cape Town, you must spend some time in the Transkei. It's a beautiful homeland area with great riding along the coast and some lovely authentic local homestays or BnB's or wildcamping. Make sure to spend a night at Coffee Bay and then ride to (and beyond) Hole In The Wall the next day.

Then, further South, make sure you ride through Baviaanskloof and Outshoorn on the way to Cape Town.

Once in Cape Town, head out to the Cederberg mountains for a few days. Camp at The Cederberg Oasis and then ride the Old Postal Route (Ou Pos Route). If you need GPX tracks, PM me. From there, you can explore the Tankwa Karoo National Park.

From there, you can head to the West coast and ride the beach all the way up to the Namibian border again. Super fun. You could potentially head to Lesotho or exit the country though Botswana. One of the inmates at Wilddog.co.za called @Xpat has shared some awesome tracks that run through the desert dunes in Southern Botswana.

Hope that helps.

Being on a bike in South Africa during Corona lock down doesn't suck. I suspect that the majority of panic and Corona cases will be in urban areas. I'm sure that you'll be fine camping out in the countryside and you'll probably have the B&Bs all to yourself as everyone else it too afraid to travel.

Bruce
    memento13 likes this.
  18. Gedrog

Oddometer:
    From the Baviaans go down to the Kamanasie Nature reserve from there you can go down the Monatgu Pass to George well worth a visit, or head head to Outshoorn whilst there consider the Swartberg Pass and the Gamka Kloof area then head over to Prince Albert from there head back over Swartberg head into the Anysberg nature reserve down to Montagu, Robertson, Villiersdorp then over too Franshoek Stellenbosch Cape Town lots of Gravel in between From there to the Cederberg lots to see head over to the Tankwa
  19. brucemuzik

brucemuzik Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What he said.
  20. Gedrog

Oddometer:
    These were my tracks in 2015 whish I did not have to spend so much time travelling back and forth too Kleinmond to see the dentist second day there I broke my tooth and had to have root Canal and crown fitted in 6 weeks so visit to the dentist every week the Montagu pass I dont have Tracks for forgot to turn on the Tracker that day https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@-32....2!6m1!1s11LA094rB-AbItQ2erY4C97Wq3ho?hl=en-GB
    [​IMG]