1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Tallinn to Cape Town on a KTM 450

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by memento13, May 25, 2019.

1. Stabilo_Boss

Stabilo_Boss Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Stupid question. By looking at the google maps sans tracks, those roads you took look like mostly tarmac. Am I correct in my interpretation?

Also there are worse places to have to go to than Kleinmond. I liked the little walk along the sea quite a bit.
  2. memento13

memento13 Travelling in Africa

Oddometer:
    @brucemuzik @Gedrog Thanks for the route recommendation. Is there any good route down from Johannesburg? As far I have looked, there seems to be long way down south before things get interesting. Downloaded some tracks from WildDog forum, will see if anything interesting there.

South Africa definitely very nice place to be during this crisis, thats why I rushed over the border on Monday. Read that they cancelled all tourist visas who were not already in country, was quite lucky I managed to get over the border. I guess the border posts were slow to implement the rules. I would have not minded staying in Botswana, it just that I would have lost my SA visa. Had to go twice to Finland to get it and would have no idea where I could get it around here.

Went to Fast KTM shop here yesterday to get some spare parts before heading to the bush. Biggest KTM shop I have seen so far and very helpful guys there. Promised to send me parts anywhere in South Africa and even to Zimbabwe and Zambia if needed.

IMG_20200318_134711_165.jpg
  3. brucemuzik

brucemuzik Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Romet.

The guy you want to ask that question is @Xpat who is an expert in South African dirt tracks. He rides a KTM500 so he also appreciates the same kind of offroad riding that you and I seem to. His handle is @Xpat here on ADVrider too and on Wilddog.co.za. He is a great guy.

Here's an idea. You might consider riding north first to see the Nelspruit area. It's also gorgeous.

Then, on your way south, skirt Swaziland and hug the eastern Lesotho border. Lots of pretty scenery there. Then, ride the BEN10 (the 10 highest passes in South Africa). The BEN 10 is a great dirt ride over two or three days. I have GPX tracks if you need them. Quick brag: my wife was the first woman to complete the BEN10 challenge. Here is info on the BEN10: https://www.mountainpassessouthafrica.co.za/find-a-pass/ben10.html

Then, you could bolt to the Transkei coast and meander south from there.
    memento13 likes this.
  4. memento13

Oddometer:
    That BEN 10 challenge looks like fun.
    jays100 likes this.
  5. memento13

Oddometer:
    There seems to be news that SA will start to renew visas for tourist already in country until 31. July. That would be great.
    sam10000 and Gedrog like this.
  6. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    Yes my stupidity I used Google location based services to track my location so a lot of the details were lost so the main ones you will see is the Tarmac

The section in the Anysberg I did all these routes marked with the arrows but there are smaller routes off these that I went too but no tracks were created I stayed around Montagu for a 4 days prime area for lots of Mountain passes and poorte

I made Montagu, Calvinia, Prince Albert. Oudshoorn and Knysna my base for a couple of days at a time, and then rode as many circular tracks running light some of the thousand pics I took of just the Anysberg area https://advrider.com/f/threads/a-short-blast-reloaded-south-africa.1112941/#post-28351159

Anysberg.jpg
    Prime target was to do as many Mountain-passes as I could source https://www.mountainpassessouthafrica.co.za/find-a-pass/mastermap.html
    Mountain passes.jpg
    For Tankwa take at least 6-8 litres of water with you I got stranded 46C wind was blowing 3CM gash in the tyre stranded 8 hours

I do admit that was a daily walk for me when I was stuck in Kleinmond
    [​IMG]

If you do want to make a base in Kleinmond I can ask my mom to see if she is willing to put up with a traveller for a few days
    Stabilo_Boss likes this.
  7. Gedrog

Oddometer:
    I did ask Trygve if he would sell me that map in GPX format he was stubborn as hell so made my own copy of it so that I could spent less time planning the route
    if you can access the map you are welcome to use it PM me if you cant you will also see the horrid routes generated by Google location based services I did do the other map manually based on the paper maps I had with me and then I got bored I now invested in GPS Tracks app

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@-32....2!6m1!1s1DvN4FhZW3hayquJKujCiltG4IkU?hl=en-GB
    Stabilo_Boss likes this.
  8. Stabilo_Boss

Stabilo_Boss Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That link for the mountain passes is going to be super handy in the future if I ever go back to cape town with a capable vehicle. Thanks.
    Also thanks for the link to your RR, I guess now that we are in quarantine I have enough time to appreciate all your amazing pictures.
    Anyway, don't want to take the spotlight away from @memento13 's inspiring RR.
    Gedrog likes this.
  9. memento13

Oddometer:
    Took some routes from WildDogs forum. Now the problem is reversed a bit and hard to choose which way to go :D

One option would be to go through Northern Cape towards Great Karoo as I will not pass this area when I head from Cape Town to East towards Zimbabwe (probably).
    Other option would be to ride around Lesotho toward Wild Coast and East Cape.

Screenshot 2020-03-18 21.22.59.png
    DunkingBird and gulfcoaster like this.
  10. brucemuzik

brucemuzik Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not that this is a democracy, I vote Lesotho / Transkei!
  11. memento13

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  12. Gedrog

Oddometer:
    I second that
  13. memento13

Oddometer:
    Finally headed out of Johannesburg yesterday towards Drakensberg mountains, plan to stay low there.

Camped halfway. When I was having morning coffee today, some hyena? (brown, white tail) went 50-100m from my camping. Later at least 3 other individuals joined and seems like they started hunting a big group of wildebeests? (to far to see and take pics). So far they are empty handed but still lurking there.

IMG_20200321_141543.jpg
    DLRuapuke, Stabilo_Boss, Saso and 3 others like this.
  14. Stabilo_Boss

Stabilo_Boss Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I followed your trip with great interest and admiration but found rather worrying the short service intervals (i.e. oil changes, valve adjustments). So I my question is, do you still think the choice in bike was the correct one? Would something less capable than your bike but with 10km oil changes, and 40km valve adjustments make your trip more enjoyable?

Also how is the Mosko luggage set-up feeling after a hundred kilometres?
  15. memento13

Oddometer:
    Valve adjustments are definitely no problem, they hardly go out of spec. I think first time I adjusted them was after 30-30k km in Ivory Coast. Easy to adjust also.

Oil changes can be problem only when it is hard to find good oil, like in some West and Central African countries. Although I struggled more with finding good tires and inner tubes, than finding oil. I now carry extra 1.5L, so have around 4000km range. Generally it has not been problem, but of course would be more better not having to deal with it.

I'm perfectly happy with my choice, it is always a compromise. With Enduro bike I think the biggest compromise is not short maintenance intervals, but ability to carry extra luggage. Going off the beaten path longer is not dependent so much of maintenance intervals than ability to carry food and water.

Best thing about the bike is that I don't have to think where I'm heading, can take almost any trail with it and if it id too much, I can drag it out. I even turned it around on very tight single track on a steep edge on Volcano Etna.

Mosko Moto bags seems to be working fine so far. Generally i love the bags and its modularity, also quality seems excellent. It's just that they are not perfect fit for narrow Enduro bike, so currently there is a bit too much movement and there is too much contact between my backbag and center bag. Will try to improve a bit, maybe will try to loose some stuff, but it is ok to continue as it is now. If I would have known this Corona lock down, would have waited for V3, which is supposedly better fit.
  16. memento13

Oddometer:
    Was a great day of riding, a lot of mountain passes. Almost no other vehicles, people mostly on horses. Lost track of time, so ended in dark, so had to take a hotel room in random city.

Normandien mountain pass was the best:

IMG_20200322_151245.jpg

IMG_20200322_151222.jpg
    Richarde1605, Saso, SoPaRider and 4 others like this.
  17. Stabilo_Boss

Stabilo_Boss Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You make numerous good points, thanks for the insight.
    Essbee and memento13 like this.
  18. Essbee

Essbee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey, Memento13, as you will have heard by now....we're on lock-down as of Thursday night, I hope you are not stuck in some horrible place here!!!
  19. memento13

Oddometer:
    Yeah, camping right now in Drakensberg mountains. They closed all wildlife camping sites for people with European passport. Managed to get camping place only because they were not certain about Estonia and was not able to make a call to main office.

Will have to probably find new place tomorrow. That sucks a bit.

Anyone knows some good, not too expensive place near Drakensberg mountains where I could go?
    SoPaRider likes this.
  20. Essbee

Essbee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It depends WHICH SIDE of the Drakensberg you mean. On the north-western side you could head for Clarens, in the Free State province, lovely little town. On the eastern side ( Sani Pass side ) there are more opportunities, in the Underberg/Himeville area and beyond.
    memento13 likes this.