1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Tallinn to Cape Town on a KTM 450

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by memento13, May 25, 2019.

1. memento13

memento13 Travelling in Africa

Oddometer:
    I'm on the east side. Everyone was thrown out of the camping, seems like wildlife campings will be shut down. I think I'll head to the coast and try to find something there.
  2. squadraquota

squadraquota mostly harmless

Oddometer:
    Best of luck, it could be a challenge to find something.
  3. Essbee

Essbee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know what to suggest, because as of tomorrow night it is going to be difficult. All movement will be strictly prohibited unless it's absolutely necessary. If you find a place you are going to have to stay there for 3 x weeks!!!
  4. DunkingBird

DunkingBird Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. Essbee

Essbee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Our fav bush get-away cannot be too far from where you are....feel free to check it out, but it will be a mission when you want/need foodstuffs etc....nearest town is a bit of a shithole and about 23 kms away, but you will get what you need there. The couple that manage the place do offer a "shopping facility" in that they will drive to the shops for you.

it is " Highover Wildlife Sanctuary"....it has a website plus they're on facebook.

It's an awesome place, and remote, super super quiet.
    memento13 likes this.
  6. memento13

Oddometer:
    3 weeks, that's the problem. Really have to like the place, last time I stayed 3 weeks in one place was years ago.
  7. memento13

Oddometer:
    Decided to get a nice Airbnb near Durban, own garden and everything. While waiting for response from the owner, started to ride there.

When I arrived there, got message from owner that they decided to not rent place out during lock down. Went to closest booking.com place now as it was already dark. Have now 1 day to find new hideout place, need something with garden or balcony, otherwise I will go nuts with 3 weeks.

Surprised that there are no major discounts on Airbnb. These places will be empty.
  8. Essbee

Essbee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good luck. Just a word of advice...theft of anything is very commonplace, please be on high alert and look after your stuff.

Stay safe.
  9. memento13

Oddometer:
    Thanks, yeah everyone has been warning about it in SA. Will not be big problem during quarantine. So got Airbnb outside of Durban at Hillcrest. Crazy times.
  10. Essbee

Essbee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great, I'm quite close to you. I live in the Kloof area.
    memento13 likes this.
  11. memento13

Oddometer:
    That's were is stayed yesterday night.
  12. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    1st day of lockdown and catching up on a few weeks reading, thks for sharing and hope after the 3 weeks you get to ride the transkei, baviaanskloof kleinkaroo-absolute adv heaven. Thks for normal SA hospitality from wdog guys
    memento13 likes this.
  13. memento13

Oddometer:
    That's the plan. Already downloaded all the routes from Wilddogs. It's just matter of time, been on the road 1.5 year now, some weeks delay is nothing.
  14. memento13

Oddometer:
    Some last pics from Drakensberg mountains, before the lockdown. As I'm not making any new pics, I'll will maybe post some more pics from my trip through Africa during lockdown

Road to the Drakensberg:
    roadtodrakensberg2.jpg
  15. memento13

Oddometer:
    Camping in Injisuthi. Was allowed to camp only because I was from unknown country Estonia and they could not reach the main office to clear if I'm allowed to stay. I'm pretty sure if I would have been from one of the big european countries, i would have asked to leave. Benefits from being from small country. But after 2 nights of camping, on the morning of 25th, everyone was asked to leave anyway.

camping.jpg
    Saso, DavidM1 and chinditone like this.
  16. memento13

Oddometer:
    There was no mobile reception in the camping, so had to ride backwards in the valley to get some internet. Was good reason to drop the luggage and go for a small ride. That's how I found out about the lockdown.

valley.jpg

mountains.jpg