Tallinn to Cape Town on a KTM 450

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by memento13, May 25, 2019.

1. Franque

Franque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd check to see if the starter solenoid is sticking.
  2. memento13

memento13 Travelling in Africa

Oddometer:
    Having small rest back home in Estonia, so went through photos a little bit and here's some of them.

Got my first flat in Lithuania. 3 Flats so far, all been with a very nice weather, last one was in Italy. I think I can consider quite lucky in that sense.

2018-10-13 15.34.40.jpg

Riding on top of some mountains in Bulgaria has been one of the favourite moments this trip. Views were great and in one section wild horses were running beside me.

2018-11-10 13.11.16.jpg

Most snowy country has been surprisingly Greece, near mount Olympus there was ~40cm of snow in some sections.

2018-11-19 14.45.40.jpg
  3. memento13

Oddometer:
    Exploring around Mount Etna. 2 days after I left Sicily, Etna started to erupt, would have been interesting to see it.
    2018-12-14 12.43.41-8.jpg

2018-12-14 12.58.31.jpg

TET section in Sicily.
    2018-12-21 12.41.42.jpg

Bardenas Reales de Navarra in Spain.
    2019-01-06 14.34.13.jpg

Rode around Valongo enduro tracks, quite hard for my skill while carrying luggage.
    2019-02-08 13.42.37.jpg

Didn't do much camping until I got do Portugal. It was just too cold for my gear.
    2019-02-14 11.55.10.jpg

After 15k kilometers, arrived at the farthest point from home on mainland Europe.
    2019-02-16 16.19.17.jpg
  4. memento13

Oddometer:
    As a preparation for Africa, did my first ever fork service at the Andalusian countryside.
    2019-03-09 09.28.37.jpg

Riding around the dunes in Merzouga has been one of the highlights.
    2019-03-15 15.22.01.jpg

Navigating through Erg Chegaga on a bad windy day was quite challenging. It was relief to get to the dry Lake Iriki.
    2019-03-20 12.08.53.jpg

2019-03-20 14.45.27.jpg
  5. memento13

Oddometer:
    Rode 40km on the beach in Mauritania while almost running out of fuel.
    2019-04-14 12.10.36.jpg
  6. memento13

Oddometer:
    You would imagine that the most frustrating part with this kind of trip would be visas and border crossings in Africa, but thats easy. Crappiest is actually dealing with KTM dealers for getting spare parts. It's weird how bad they all are, I guess they are just focusing selling the new bikes.

Sent my parts list well ahead from Africa, so I would get everything needed when returning home, but more than month later and just before returning to Africa, I find out that they can't get all the parts. Well actually it seemed they had done absolutely nothing at this point. Several unanswered emails, visiting dealer first thing arriving back home was wasted effort.

It's not even the thing that they can't get the parts on time, they don't even tell you that, so you don't have chance to order from somewhere else, which I would have had more than enough time.

Exactly the same thing happened with dealer in Spain.
    MotoSly likes this.
  7. Andocalrisian

Andocalrisian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the great pics and updates. Sucks that your local dealer is out to lunch. I try and support the local guys and it’s great to pick up a part nice and quick but at least the internet will keep you sorted.

Looking hard at 17+ 500 so good to see your posts. Looks like an unreal time.

Ride on!
  8. memento13

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Luckily nothing too critical. Will return to Ivory Coast next week, quite eager to continue the ride.
    MotoSly likes this.
  9. memento13

Oddometer:
    This is how I left my bike 1 month ago:
    2019-06-11 12.58.41.jpg

2019-06-11 13.15.32.jpg

Arrived back to Ivory Coast a couple of days ago and everything was as I left it. As I have said before, to me Western Africa seems actually safer than Europe and even more compared to South America. As workforce is cheap, there is always a guard keeping an eye on your stuff and people are genuinely friendly and haven't seen any theft so far.

It makes me a bit sad that I don't speak French as I miss out the biggest treasure of Western Africa, people. Anyone planning to travel around here, I recommend learning French before. I don't speak Spanish nor Portugese, but didn't feel it as important when I travelled in South America. I try to learn French with a couple of apps, but it is toughest language I tried to learn so far.

When my connection flight left Brussels, I remembered that I forgot all my keys to home in Estonia. I changed my previous bag Kriega R20 for Kriega R30 for waterproofness and more room, but forgot 2 sets of keys into old bag: cable lock key, KTM fork key and ignition key. Earned my first Darwin award of the trip :D

My friend posted the keys with DHL, so should get them in couple of days. But in the mean time, so I would be able use the bike and do some maintenance, I bought metal saw and broke the cable lock:
    2019-07-11 19.28.10.jpg

Luckily I lost the locks original U part in Senegal and new one was done by a local guy in Bissau, so it took less than 5 minutes to break. Hotel guard came to help, as a reward he got the metal saw to himself. Would have been a lot harder to break hardened steal, so previous screw up was actually a blessing in disguise. Because of the weak U part, I already brought new lock, so would have thrown the old one away anyway.

Rewired also cables, so I could start the bike without ignition key for a couple of days:
    2019-07-13 12.50.24.jpg
  10. memento13

Oddometer:
    Travelling with motorcycle is a challenge. You fix 2 problems and in the mean time get another 4 problems. I took a lot of spares and parts with me, so I could fix all the annoying problems, but when I arrived I was greeted with new problems. Western Africa is quite humid and leaving my bike for 1 month seems have been too long time. All the metal parts have started to rust away. Probably riding on the beaches in Mauritania and Morocco didn't help.

Main problem is rusting spoke nipples:
    2019-07-13 12.19.08.jpg

2019-07-13 12.19.24.jpg

2019-07-13 12.19.01.jpg

Even tools and valve cover bolts have started to rust. I have some spare nuts and bolts with me, so I can change some of these and luckily Togo has KTM dealer.

When I started this trip, I only knew how to change oil and air filter, so I wasn't mechanically skilful. During the trip I have learned how to change chain, sprockets, wheel bearings, tires (I did practice it 2 times in garage before leaving), services forks etc. Seems like now is the time to learn changing spokes. I just hope the rust has not eaten into the wheels as I really like these Haan wheels, make night and day difference on tarmac and fast dirt. And valves clearances need to be adjusted as well.
    MotoSly, Andreja, td63 and 2 others like this.
  11. memento13

Oddometer:
    “When sorrows come, they come not single spies, but in battalions”
    Shakespeare​

Planned to change oil today, started bike to warm it up a bit, but at after running 15-20 secs just fine, it cut out. Tried to start again, no success. Engine seems to turn over, but there is no ignition. There seems to be some clicking sound, not sure if it is normal. Will post video soon.

Have checked following things:
    1. Fuel pump seems to initiate and there is fuel in line, when disconnection tank
    2. Old fuel microfilter seemed fine, but changed it anyway
    3. Changed spark plug, old one had some black soot on it
    4. Checked battery: 13.12V
    5. Changed air filter, as maybe old one was clogged
    6. Checked fuses (not sure if I checked them all)

What would you recommend to check next?

If injector is clogged, have spare one, but would rather not do it before all the easy checks are done.

Valve clearances are a bit loose (Exhaust2: 20 and Intake2: 16). Could this cause non starting? Would assume not, as the bike initially started fine.

Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.
  12. Franque

Franque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would verify that you have spark. Ground out the sparkplug (while still connected to the coil) on the cylinder head and make sure that it'll spark.
  13. memento13

Oddometer:
    It is sparking. Sounds like fueling problem then.
  14. memento13

Oddometer:
    Here's video of how it is starting:

MotoSly likes this.
  15. Franque

Franque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree that it could be fueling, as long as it has compression. I would try swapping the injector, unless you're able to get a compression/leakdown test done, and you're not able to test fuel pressure. I noticed a hesitation for the starter to start for it, does the starter normally act that way? Also, what does the voltage drop to when you're trying to start it?
  16. memento13

Oddometer:
    What you mean by hesitation? I didn't notice anything different. I pressed starter shortly twice by intention, it's was just for priming fuel pump, makes starting smoother.
  17. memento13

Oddometer:
    Voltage drops to 10.0-10.6 when starting.

Don't think I can get compression/leakdown test done around here (Grand Bassam), maybe could be possible in Abidjan.
  18. memento13

Oddometer:
    Tried starting with battery jumper, voltage stays around 11V, but result is the same.

I guess have to change injector.
    enduro16 likes this.
  19. memento13

Oddometer:
    Could this be somehow related to bike not starting now?
  20. powderzone

powderzone Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have you checked the inline fuel filter at the tank quick connect? They foul easily.