Tallinn to Cape Town on a KTM 450

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by memento13, May 25, 2019.

1. memento13

memento13 Travelling in Africa

Oddometer:
    Today can be summarised as bite the dust. Road until Hela Hela Pass was mostly tarmac, after that managed to stay on gravel, some of these quite sketchy and incredibly dusty. Ofcourse managed to fall into the biggest dust pit. Was quite ok gravel road and then one turn was just 15 cm deep dust, lost my front and ate the dust. Elbow is a bit raw and scratched, but other than that all good. Motocross boots definitely saved my ankle, which was stuck under the bike. While I was struggling to get my leg free, some locals happened to pass and gave quick helping hand.

Arrived in Underberg just before dark, feels like i need already a rest day, but was quite a good day and it was great to ride again.
  2. memento13

Oddometer:
    Hela Hela pass didn't have any good viewpoints, side of the road just a bush, but this one:

DSC00483 copy.jpg
    Essbee, Jeremy K, Saso and 4 others like this.
  3. memento13

Oddometer:
    Looks like nice trails, must have been pretty tough on a KLR. I think I would even struggle on a 450 :D

Will give Alan a call. Thank you!
  4. memento13

Oddometer:
    Was thinking of heading Rhodes tomorrow, lots of mountain passes, but seems like it is cold and snow. Heading a bit more to the coast seems more reasonable.

Just found this:
    http://www.dualsportafrica.com/valley1000hillsroute.htm

Should have done this while I stayed in Hillcrest.
  5. memento13

Oddometer:
    Was pretty shitty day. One thing KTM Exc doesn't like is tarmac and strong side-winds. Struggled again to find accommodation. When they measured my body temp, it was 33 degrees, that's hypodermia:D
    Jeremy K, DavidM1 and DunkingBird like this.
  6. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    there were non contact thermometers made in China, shipped. To read 4 degrees (f) low, per the company rep. may want to get a second reading by mercury.
  7. memento13

Oddometer:
    Got to the Wild Coast, Transkei. In Coffee Bay now, will take a couple of days of rest. Weather turned quite bad, no snow nor rain, but very windy and cold. Here it looks quite chill.

Seems like strategy, that works with accommodations, is messaging every place listed in Airbnb in front and hope that at least one answers. Even places that are instant booking, are not hosting or responding. Don't know why they keep listing their places.
    Jeremy K, gulfcoaster and yokesman like this.
  8. DunkingBird

DunkingBird Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Western Cape Premier Alan Winde has stressed that it would be too chaotic to manage different lockdown levels.

I suppose he's right.

9. memento13

Oddometer:
    Yeah, these different rule are already getting a bit ridiculous.

Yesterday also found out that all repatriation planes are flying to SA empty, although there is loads of South Africans stuck elsewhere. It's because government decided that only SAA can bring citizens back, although seems like the company struggles to provide any service at all. No wonder these repatriation tickets are expensive.

When I entered East Cape yesterday, I run through checkpoint but was not stopped. All other vehicles seem to have been stopped and there was tent set up for checking documents, measuring temperature etc. I looked around stupidly, but as nobody seemed to care, rode on.

Did not seemed to enjoy riding at all yesterday, which is weird after been locked 2 month. Seems like my mind is set on going home.

Here's one pic from yesterday:
    IMG_20200611_135712.jpg
    Jeremy K, gulfcoaster, Saso and 2 others like this.
  10. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Once the aircraft has been Washed down, your Govt doesnt want to give cause for exposing the citizens on the way home. Each country is responsible for Their own citizens.
  11. memento13

Oddometer:
    As I understood KLM, the decision is made by SA, not the return country.
  12. memento13

Oddometer:
    Restriction or not, managed to buy 2 cold beers :)

The other day heard also a rumor, that cigarette ban exists only because ministers relative controls cigarettes black market. Must be good business currently.
    gulfcoaster and DavidM1 like this.
  13. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    Great, good health!
    memento13 likes this.
  14. memento13

Oddometer:
    And KLM doesn't seem so innocent also (although I appreciate they are flying, especially people working under high risk of getting infection). As number of flights are restricted and sell out quickly, people with coupon (probably from canceled flight) have not been managed to exchange it for flight ticket in 8 weeks. It is probably seen as done sale and can wait until new sales are finished.

Maybe I have had too much time alone and seeing things that's not there, but it just feels like this pandemic has given a lot of power back to governments and organisations, giving them excuse to use it for their own gain. I have been here because of my own decision, but a lot of people seems to have been hold stuck for no appearent reason and repatriation flights are more expensive than they really should be.
    DunkingBird likes this.
  15. memento13

Oddometer:
    Was trying to remember why I had Coffee Bay bookmarked and why I came specifically here :D

Found this post, thanks Bruce for the tip, very nice place indeed. Will check out the Hole in the Wall tomorrow and other tips gonna come useful next couple of weeks.

Where did you stay here? I'm at the Coffee Shack. Out of all places, they were the only one to respond.
    yokesman likes this.
  16. brucemuzik

brucemuzik Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Romet. So glad you found the Coffee Shack. During season, that place is a blast. OK, so here's a little track I rode on my KLR around Hole In The Wall. You can continue on your journey South West from there. Attached is the GPX track and a photo. Don't fall off the cliff!

Attached Files:

memento13 likes this.
  17. brucemuzik

brucemuzik Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Then, you can continue with the Wild Coast Ride track (which I wanted to ride, but got rained out so was not able to). Let me know what it's like if you ride it.

The Rallye Raid 2 track was a track I rode on my KLR as part of a Rallye Raid event for amateurs like me. You will be grinning from ear to ear. Stop at Trennery's Hotel (if it's open) for lunch and a beer.

Load these 3 tracks into your GPS at your own risk. You'll either hate me or want to marry me afterwards :-)

Then, as you roam South, here are some POIs for you to consider:

- Bulungula Lodge - an amazing authentic Xhosa homestay on the beach. There is no way you could regret spending a night here. I'd bet they'll be open.

- Trennery's Hotel - If open, it has a nice restaurant.

- Morgan's Bay Hotel - also a nice hotel and place to stop for lunch.

- Buccaneers Lodge and Backpackers - camp here. The owners are lovely people and the view is ridiculous. One of my favorite places in the Transkei - like Coffee Bay.

As you continue south, stop in at Hamburg to visit Alan Booth. He'll take you riding and is expecting a call from you if you decide you want to meet him.

From there, Jeffery's Bay is a fun surf town. Probably dead in winter, but lots of fun hostels if you can find one open.

if you pick up a Coast To Coast backpackers guide in one of the hostels, you'll discover a world of amazing places to stay on your journey. Most of them might be closed, but I'm sure that many of them will be desperate for business and surely some of them will take your money.

Enjoy this final part of your journey, Romet. A part of my heart will always be in the Transkei. I hope that it steals yours too.

Attached Files:

Jeremy K, squadraquota and memento13 like this.
  18. brucemuzik

brucemuzik Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Romet. It appears that ADVrider only shows one of the tracks I included on the site. You'll see both of them on Tapatalk, but just in case you don't use Tapatalk, here's the Rallye Raid track again.

Attached Files:

memento13 likes this.
  19. memento13

Oddometer:
    Thanks for info, it is very helpful. I called Alan, his place is closed, but he found me a camping places both in Morgan Bay and Hamburg. He is in the same camping place in Hamburg, so will meet him there. Seems like accommodation problems solved for next days and will hit trails again tomorrow.
    yokesman likes this.
  20. memento13

Oddometer:
    I think I got the tracks loaded to GPS. As I understand there is no track from Dwesa Swebe Wildlife Reserve to Willowvale? I'll just take one of the gravel track then, starts just before Nkanya river (Tracks4Africa). There is gas station in Willowvale?