Tallinn to Cape Town on a KTM 450

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by memento13, May 25, 2019.

1. brucemuzik

brucemuzik Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can't say for sure, Romet. I looked on Google Earth and there are tracks everywhere. You may even be able to ride the Nature Reserve, but I suspect you'll need permission.
  2. memento13

memento13 Travelling in Africa

Oddometer:
    Even if I could, I think I have to ride back then to head north for crossing river. Time is limited sadly, have to get to Morgan Bay.
    brucemuzik likes this.
  3. memento13

Oddometer:
    Walked around Coffee Bay a bit today. Was too windy to fly drone, but got this shot:
    CoffeeBaySmall.jpg
  4. memento13

Oddometer:
    Hiked also up to the mountain on the other side of the Coffee Bay:
    DSC00558.JPG
  5. memento13

Oddometer:
    Found some babes are chilling on the beach at the next bay:
    DSC00565.JPG
    DSC00536.JPG
    Essbee, SoPaRider, Jeremy K and 4 others like this.
  6. brucemuzik

brucemuzik Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just confirmed with a friend that there is a Caltex and a Shell in Willowvale.
    memento13 likes this.
  7. memento13

Oddometer:
    Good, will load up there.
  8. gulfcoaster

gulfcoaster Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is some absolutely stunning scenery.
  9. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Im really out on a limb with this, but even here in the US gas pumps can only be found by reading reviews of a store-restaurant.
  10. memento13

Oddometer:
    9 hours of riding yesterday, arrived in dark. Ofcourse missed the Kei river ferry and took round trip on the main road. I understood already quite early that I will be late and turned to main road already from Willowvale. Now in Morgan Bay, at Yellowwood Forrest.

@brucemuzik have to agree what to have said about this area. Great riding and one of the nicest people I have seen. Some local lads helped me through in one tight track. One point was so tired that only thing that kept me going was all the children cheering by the road.

Yesterday was definitely day to remember, but have a bit mixed feelings as I really had to rush through it to get to my accommodation. It would be a lot better to do short days and day trips. Situation is what it is, can't change that. At one point I even did not stop for pictures. Also missed all the western part (from Willowvale to South/West), so thinking of taking a ferry tomorrow and doing a day trip. Although it promises some rain in the morning and there is still a lot of riding left to do in SA.

I have started to think leaving my bike here and coming back in December - January for shorter trip. Papers are still valid till February. Not sure if COVID situation will be better even then.

Today is a rest day, that's for sure. Will post some pics if I get better internet.
  11. brucemuzik

brucemuzik Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good to hear that you're having fun and have a place to stay in Morgan's Bay. Can't wait to see some pics.
    yokesman likes this.
  12. memento13

Oddometer:
    I don't know how you managed these river gorges with a KLR, one was so gnarly that I walked it through before trying.

Was lost somewhere in Manubi State Forest, when noticed that I have only 1.5h to the last ferry. Of course the route I chose to get to the ferry had another 3 river gorges, but somehow made it.

Great day, having cold beer now. Will continue west tomorrow.
  13. brucemuzik

brucemuzik Adventurer

Oddometer:
    With total stupidity and a lot of help from friends dragging me through.

That's why I said you'd either hate me or want to marry me after riding these tracks! Glad you had fun. Pics please!
  14. memento13

Oddometer:
    I actually don't have too many pics, was too busy riding :D There is stuff on the Gopro, so will make a quick edit.
  15. memento13

Oddometer:
    Start from from Coffee Bay was not the smoothest, to say the least. Less than 1km in, managed to fall with the bike into some ditch. Track was not very clear and while I was trying to figure out which way to go, made a stupid mistake. Luckily some local guy walked past, so we turned the bike around in the ditch and I rode it out. Not much damage to bike, main thing being right mirror ram mount. Not the start to the day I hoped for, a lot of precious time wasted. I even thought turning back to Coffee Shack and starting again next day, but ego did not allow that.

2020-06-14 10.27.16 small.jpeg
    Essbee, SoPaRider, jays100 and 2 others like this.
  16. memento13

Oddometer:
    Dropped the idea to continue on the track that seemed to go narrowly on the cliff. Maybe it was good I fell soon. Took easy gravel road to Hole in the Wall. This place was magical, I think the big cliff next to it was even more awesome. Really should have made day trip here, but got too lazy, as usual.

DSC00588 small.jpeg

DSC00584 small.jpeg

DSC00601 small.jpeg

DSC00609 small.jpeg
    Rich Rider, twowings, Saso and 3 others like this.
  17. memento13

Oddometer:
    Track from Hole in the Wall seemed to go over the hills, but as the was no trail and I was still shaken up by falling to the ditch, decided to ride around on the gravel to find some rhythm. But it did not take long before I found myself in some rocky path. 4 local guys helped me over one of the rocky sections, it would have been doable my own, but felt not confident to attack it with luggage. Continued down the path and found my self in some river bed. Quickly 2 local lads arrived, but decided this time it was time to start riding again and did it without help. In the end was not too bad, but for safety, removed some luggage.

DSC00611 small.jpeg

2020-06-14 12.21.06 small.jpeg
  18. memento13

Oddometer:
    At this time I started to understand that there is no way I'm gonna catch 4PM Kei river ferry and decided to ride to Willowvale, add petrol and then ride around using the bridge. Ended up riding in the dark and was quite cold.

Next day I had rest day and day after headed back using the river ferry for a day trip to see what I missed. Again run into time problem again to catch the last ferry. Whoever plans to go to ride in this region, make sure you accommodation is on the other side of the Kei river. Sadly the situation is what is currently. Did not take many pics as time was quite limited:

2020-06-16 09.51.18 small.jpg

DSC00623 small.png
    Saso, SoPaRider, gulfcoaster and 2 others like this.
  19. memento13

Oddometer:
    Next was simple ride to Hamburg to meet Alan. Had some beers, braai and chat about motorcycles. Camped by the river, it is quite cold currently and gets dark early, so not ideal time. Yesterday rode to Port Elizabeth, will take a couple of days to rest now.

Hamburg:
    DSC00646 small.jpeg
    Rich Rider, Essbee, SoPaRider and 4 others like this.
  20. brucemuzik

brucemuzik Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow. That ditch looked deep! Glad you had fun and met Alan.