Tallinn to Cape Town on a KTM 450

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by memento13, May 25, 2019.

1. Stabilo_Boss

Stabilo_Boss Adventurer

Oddometer:
    More than understandable.

Pity it's done, now what am I going to read for inspiration?
  2. memento13

memento13 Travelling in Africa

Oddometer:
    RtwPaul seems to just started his trip, should be a lot of good pics.

Hopefully I get my bike back in August, current plan is to ride it from Rotterdam to Estonia through Scandinavia, but Corona restriction may have different plans. And it will not be Africa.
    MotoSly, gulfcoaster and rtwpaul like this.
  3. memento13

Oddometer:
    Did small trip up the Signal Hill before giving the bike away.

Table Mountain:
    DSC01260.JPG

Lion Head:
    DSC01283.JPG

Traffic Controller suitably named Simba:
    DSC01297.JPG
    Johno33772, MotoSly, Essbee and 3 others like this.
  4. memento13

Oddometer:
    Visited Cape Agulhas a couple of days ago. Met a local guy Petrus with his 690 with Omega kit there, def great setup. Was looking also this option for the trip, but all these kits felt quite expensive.

DSC01126.JPG

DSC01122.JPG
    Johno33772, James59 and gulfcoaster like this.
  5. memento13

Oddometer:
    Cape Town great so far. Hiked to the top of the Table Mountain. Up using India Venster and down Platteklipkloof trail. Weather was perfect. Got beers now from restaurant downstairs (they have pivoted to a alcohol store and take away food). Couldn't ask more from a day. I think storm gonna hit tomorrow, so gonna just relax.

One guy went missing on the TM, so there's still search operations going on. Hundres of volunteers and Heli, but trails were not too crowded.

IMG_20200708_114946.jpg
    MadRider777, MotoSly, ilten and 3 others like this.
  6. Dacquiri

Dacquiri Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Drat! I had been following you for months and was wondering if you would make your way down here to Cape Town. Unfortunately I had been a bit sidetracked with work and hadn’t logged in for the last few weeks. Was hoping to offer you a place to stay and store your bike and now I see you have probably just taken off this evening. Hopefully next time when you do the East Coast! Looks like you had a great trip down despite the lockdown. Very tragically the missing person’s body was found on India Venster on Wednesday afternoon.
    MotoSly likes this.
  7. memento13

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Definitely not be my last time in Cape Town and SA. I went up the India Venster, lots of people were searching and heli was flying non stop.

Waiting my boarding to Tallinn in Amsterdam. Everything went quite smooth. Flight from CT was fully booked out, not a single empty seat.
    Jersey87 and ilten like this.
  8. ilten

ilten Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Safe travels!
  9. neppi

neppi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just for the sake of common good, would you mind posting us a pic of you with some Põltsama Sinep, please?

:)
  10. memento13

Oddometer:
    :D

Not much of sinep eater, but next time I'll go shopping, I'll try to remember that.
    neppi likes this.
  11. ChongLi

ChongLi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great report, thanks for sharing. Looking forward to your East Africa writeup in the future!
  12. memento13

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Gave the bike to shipping agent before leaving, so I'm afraid there's not gonna be East Africa anytime soon. There will probably be some shorter trips, but that's about it for the near future.

Actually thinking of going for a hiking trip instead to Patagonia or New Zealand in December-January, but it is impossible to plan anything currently.
  13. 531blackbanshee

531blackbanshee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    it was great read.
    thanks for posting.

leon
    memento13 likes this.
  14. memento13

Oddometer:
    Got COVID test yesterday and result was negative. My 2 weeks of quarantine is starting to end, so will finally meet friends and have finally some drinks tomorrow.

It's crazy how different things are in South Africa and Estonia. Here there is no masks, no hand sanitisers, almost no restriction anymore. Walking on the streets, you would not know that we are in the middle of some pandemic. Weird is that almost no new infections, I guess benefits of a small country. I just hope this doesn't bite us in the ass one point.

Actually finished Transkei/WildCoast and Guinea Bissau videos while in Cape Town, but my Final Cut Pro trial expired and now too cheap to shell out the money for the license.
  15. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    cheap is good, put the rest in the ride cookie jar, ALL spare change. saved $300 Us in '86 for my kids to have spending money while visiting granMa n PA in Malaysia.
    had a sparklets bottle to the neck in a short while( 1-2 years?)in "78, ALL change.
    Now if I could get all this foreign money changed at a good rate.?

thanks for the great ride, Im just happy to ride now , your expeditions are a wonder to us.
    memento13 likes this.
  16. memento13

Oddometer:
    Been looking pics from other people travels in Africa and where they have struggled thinking that these were the easy places. Feels like I cheated my way through Africa :D
    Throttlemeister likes this.
  17. Stabilo_Boss

Stabilo_Boss Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Struggled how? Terrain, bureaucracy or just unforeseen circumstances?
  18. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    sometimes it is just a matter of viewpoint, one sees an opportunity , another an obstruction.
    just to encourage, enjoying the ride can by no means be considered cheating.
  19. memento13

Oddometer:
    Road conditions. Usually big bike, sand and mud.
    Stabilo_Boss likes this.
  20. memento13

Oddometer:
    My bike is now on the ship, if everything goes well, it will be in Rotterdam on 18th August.

IMG_20200724_112131_resized_20200728_013614337.jpg