Tallinn to Cape Town on a KTM 450

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by memento13, May 25, 2019.

1. Johno33772

Johno33772 Johnny Africa

Oddometer:
    Awesome ride ....Cheers!!!
    memento13 likes this.
  2. Lone Stranger

Lone Stranger Been here awhile

Oddometer:

It's tough getting a decent rate for foreign money in the US. I find it's easier to keep until my next visit to that country or just donate it at the airport - especially the coins - but only after I have picked out the best bills and coins for souvenirs, of course!!
    yokesman likes this.
  3. memento13

memento13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Collected my bike from Rotterdam and had a quick ride back to Estonia. On my way to Germany - Latvia ferry, was hosted by @TheNetworker, was nice to have some beers and chat. Other than that quite boring tarmac riding, as my university has started, not much time to fool around anymore.

It is almost 2 years (701 days) last time the bike touched Estonian ground. Although I have been back home already 2 months now, was still weird feeling crossing the border back to Estonia with the bike.

Having a last camping night today in Estonian woods before going home tomorrow.

IMG_20200911_184317.jpg
    Jeremy K, Jersey87, sanvara and 9 others like this.
  4. Franque

Franque Nilé na sohakélwa manga

Oddometer:
    That's awesome! Are you a student, or a professor?
  5. memento13

Oddometer:
    Student, Masters in Datascience. My plan B as East Africa was not an option.
    ilten likes this.
  6. Cafeguzzi

Cafeguzzi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    is that the mosko moto 40L? how does it compare to the giant loop coyote? mounting, compactness, ease of packing, etc.?
  7. DunkingBird

DunkingBird Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wish you every success in your studies.
    It will probably not be possible to avoid thinking with melancholy every now and then about the freedom of the last 2 years.

8. Didado

Didado Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is the R80
  9. neppi

neppi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where did you camp at? I’ve been all over the place as I used to live in Pärnu for a while midagi 100 aastat tagasi and also did some sweet road trips later on.

You should start eating more of that sinep, bro!
  10. memento13

Oddometer:
    its the bigger R80. Both bags are excellent, would happily use either of them, but here's some pros and cons:

MM R80:
    + packing is great, feels like a system, easy to access everything and packing is quick
    + replaceable straps (one reason I replaced Coyote was that with years some straps were broken)
    + seems sturdy and fell build, but have not ridden enough km's with it
    - not best fit, it is too wide for narrow enduro bike (mine is ver 2, new version fits supposedly better as you can change angle of the legs)
    - heavier, adds probably several kg-s compared to CL Coyote

GL Coyote:
    + perfect fit for enduro bike
    + very light, but bag itself is still very durable. I have had countless crashes and bag itself was still without holes, only straps broke
    + their warranty support is great, they sent me new Gas Bag free of charge to Angola, when old one started to leak
    - hard to access stuff, especially if they are in leg parts of the luggage.
    - had to add additional tail bag, which made accessibility and packing even harder

If you can fit everything into Coyote and like to ride hard, it is probably better option. If you have longer trip, like to carry stuff with you, then MM is better option.
    gulfcoaster, Deleted405664 and Gedrog like this.
  11. memento13

Oddometer:
    Thanks. We actually have most freedom when we are at home country. When travelling, especially in Africa, all the bureaucracy with visas, vehicle import documents, expiring driving licences etc shows that we are not totally free in this world. So far quite enjoying being back home and not having to worry about some BS, but now and then some post in social media make me miss Africa. It is special place to visit.
    DunkingBird likes this.
  12. memento13

Oddometer:
    Pertlimetsa, a bit north east from Kilingi-Nõmme. Planned to buy some sinep today, but forgot.
    IMG_20200912_092959.jpg
    IMG_20200912_092914.jpg
    IMG_20200911_224621.jpg
  13. neppi

neppi Long timer

Oddometer:
    memento13 likes this.