Tallinn to Cape Town on a KTM 450

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by memento13, May 25, 2019.

1. memento13

memento13 Travelling in Africa

Oddometer:
    After I got my tire fixed (ofcourse pinched it on a first try), we continued on the bad road with a local guy I met day before. In one village he took a passanger with a lot of luggage, so I said good bye to him and continued alone towards Matadi.

My riding buddy is on the background in red costume, securing clients luggage onto his bike:
    20191117_093520.jpg

There was very pretty landscapes towards Matadi and nice bridge over #congo river, but was too tired to enjoy it:
    20191117_123943.jpg

20191117_123454.jpg

Finally at 1PM arrived in the hotel. As I had not eaten almost nothing for 36h, went to burger place nearby, where friendly Franck and Caleb asked me to join their table. After some food and good chat, went back to hotel for a sleep.
  2. memento13

Oddometer:
    My short time in DRC has been quite an adventure, but have mixed feelings right now. Most people have been very nice, but at times felt quite overwhelmed. In the end there is more positives to take out of it and it has definitely been one of the highlights of the trip.

Also seems like entropy is winning the battle of things breaking down quicker I am able to fix or replace. Found that during heavy rain, my macbook got some water and is not working anymore, so can't post pics from the drone any more. My cooking stove broke day before, so camping will be without coffee and warm food. Bikes clutch is alsp slipping and numerous other things. Will get some rest in Matadi and continue to Angola.
    td63, ssandijss, gulfcoaster and 2 others like this.
  3. DunkingBird

DunkingBird Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am impressed by your relaxed approach to difficult situations :bow
  4. memento13

Oddometer:
    Haha, that's sadly not always the case, but Africa is definitely good practice ground for this.
    squadraquota and DunkingBird like this.
  5. memento13

Oddometer:
    After having usual hassle with finding working ATM, Douane office etc, crossed the border and headed to Angola. Was greeted with nice dirt road:

20191119_165702.jpg

As I spent too much time in a morning, I had to bush camp. Just 10m from road and villages in 500m on both sides, was not private place, but it was good enough that locals did not spot me.

First morning in Angola:
    20191120_065740.jpg
    forgorin, td63, gulfcoaster and 3 others like this.
  6. memento13

Oddometer:
    Dirt road turned quite bad with a lot of puddles and mud, but after 1,5h got to a tarmac road, which lead 250 km all the way to Luanda.

During one the resting break I noticed that there was oil on sprocked and chain: countershaft seal has started to leak. There was also oil on rear tire, but not too bad and rode to Luanda, were I was greeted by Anjos Bantu MC president, who invited me to stay at his place. I got to contact with him when looking for a contact where to ship Giant Loop Gas Bag. Sometimes problems turn into good situations.
    forgorin, td63, squadraquota and 3 others like this.
  7. Bananapete

Bananapete Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great ride report.
    I was in southern Namibia about two weeks ago. Though with a Pickup and not with a bike.
    DSC04960.JPG
    There are a lot of dirt roads, but real offroad riding is limited, as there are fences everywhere. Roads where mostly good gravel with some bad washboard parts inbetween.
    Campgrounds have been on almost every farm, so you are mostly never further than 70km-80km away from a campground.
    Gas stations have been at least every 200km-250km or so.

Watch out for leopards, the local leopard hunt went right through the campground :lol3
    DSC050711.JPG

Not sure if you are interested in doing the typical tourist things around cape town, but If you do, I would advise against the Penguins at Boulders Beach. Rather go to Bettys Bay, its way less crowded and the entrace fee is just about 1.50€ instead of about 10€ for the Boulders Beach.
    memento13 and DunkingBird like this.
  8. memento13

Oddometer:
    I usually do a bit everything: chilling, touristic stuff, riding, drinking. But never enjoy crowded tourist places, so thanks for the tips.
  9. memento13

Oddometer:
    Sadly my first meeting with Luandas motoclubs was in a funeral, were all clubs gatherer. In the beginning of the week one of the other motoclubs vice president lost control of the car and rode off a bridge. He, his wife, 2 young childer dead, 4 graves in one funeral. Youngest was only 1 year old. One daughter survived because she was not using the seat belt and flew out of the window luckily on to the bridge and survived without major injuries. She with her sister, who was not in a car, will have tough life to continue. Puts everything into perspective and all the small problems while travelling feel irrelevant. R.I.P.

20191121_104705.jpg
    td63 and squadraquota like this.
  10. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    Darnit they charge now to see the swimming birds
    You will find that a lot of roads further south will be fenced, wild camping might not be a good Idea in South Africa, due to ongoing farm murders the farmers will shoot first and ask questions later.
    See my two RR links in signature for more excellent riding destinations around Kleinmond Betteys bay Hanklip and Pringlebay if you take some of the coastal walk paths you might be lucky and run into penguins for free and you could potentially catch a glimpse of Wales
  11. memento13

Oddometer:
    Been resting last days in Luanda at ex Dakar truck racer Carlos Alberto Machados place. Incredible guy and family offering accommodation and food for overlanders. Also great to hear some background stories from Dakar.

Excellent aftermarket support also from Giant Loop, they sent me a new gas bag to Luanda free of charge:
    20191125_122637.jpg
    td63 likes this.
  12. memento13

Oddometer:
    Installed new clutch plates, old ones were quite burned. Also new countershaft seals as old one was leaking. Have some other small maintances to do, but should be on the road again in a couple of days. Still have to not started the bike yet (no oil), just hope the lack of power was from slipping clutch and engine is otherwise ok, it went through rough time in DRC.

20191125_123634.jpg
  13. memento13

Oddometer:
    Did 260km to south from Luanda. Bad news is that seems like I killed all the horses in Congos. Even after changing clutch plates, bike is quite powerless, nothing at top. Cant even powerwheelie properly. KTM dealer in Luanda was useless and there is no dealer anymore in Windhoek, so have to ride as it is to South Africa.

20191129_144040.jpg

20191129_144314.jpg
  14. gulfcoaster

gulfcoaster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That last pic is absolutely stunning .
    memento13 likes this.
  15. memento13

Oddometer:
    Will see how it feels tomorrow, maybe I'll order parts to Windhoek and try to do the top end. Not that I have done it before, but there is always the first time.
    gulfcoaster likes this.
  16. memento13

Oddometer:
    Of course, if I do top end anyway, might as well ride up the east coast instead of flying home from SA :lol3

Also quite close to trigger on one of the Black Friday deals as well and ordering new luggage system as my current Giant Loop Coyote is starting to show some wear after several years of travel. Searching google maps for a bank to rob in Angola...
  17. memento13

Oddometer:
    Maybe Im overthinking and lack of power is something simple? Bike starts easy and doesnt burn oil. Havent changed fuel filters for some time, so will try this next, have taken some fuel from bottles etc.
  18. Franque

Franque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How do the plugs look, and have you checked the valves recently? It could be as simple as that, or it could be an air leak somewhere. I'd definitely do a compression/leakdown test before just rebuilding the top end.
    memento13 likes this.
  19. DunkingBird

DunkingBird Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a similar problem once. The cause was a blocked air filter.
  20. memento13

Oddometer:
    I last checked valves in Cameroon. Will take off tank and check valves, spark plug, change fuel filters and see how it is then.

Will try to do compression/leak down test at Windhoek.