Tallinn to Dakar Rally

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by memento13, May 25, 2019.

1. memento13

memento13 Travelling in Africa

Oddometer:
    So I think it has to be one of these:
    1. Battery weak and booster doesn't help
    2. Something wrong with the wiring
    3. Loose valves
    Anything else I could check?
  2. Franque

Franque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Throw a new plug in it, if you have one. Loose valves probably wouldn't cause this (though it can't hurt to adjust). I've seen batteries that were weak and not get enough help from the booster.

The heat in West Africa kills batteries quickly. You could try hooking a car battery up to it with cables (or jump start), but my experience in Guinea was that people didn't have good batteries/charging systems in their cars.

Do they have any battery charging stations nearby? That might be just a Guinean thing, but that might be an option.

Another thing you could try is push starting it, have somebody tow you with a rope after you've got it back together.
  3. memento13

Oddometer:
    I actually threw new plug in, although it was working old plug.

Not eager to adjust valves before I get bike running, it adds another variable to the case, as I haven't done it before.

Finding place in Grand Bassam to charge battery would be probably difficult as I have lithium battery. I think I'll just wait until some friends catch me up, but it could take some time as roads are bad. Or maybe take a bus to Abidjan and try to find new battery.

Thank you helping to brainstorm this situation, already learned a lot, if I only would get this thing running again :)
  4. Franque

Franque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just go for the push start then. It might get it spinning fast enough to go! Happy to help, and best of luck.
  5. memento13

Oddometer:
    Will start fresh tomorrow, its beer time now :D

20190716_162949.jpg

Not the worst place to be stranded.
  6. memento13

Oddometer:
    I need to find new battery, old one is too weak now that it pointless to continue testing things. Will see if I can catch a bus to Abidjan.

Kind of feel some frustration starting to building up.
  7. Franque

Franque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Try to push start it, you might be surprised to see it works!
  8. memento13

Oddometer:
    It is not easy to move the bike in gear as clutch plates are quite sticky.
  9. memento13

Oddometer:
    Got it running again for 10 secs. But as soon as I backed off the throttle, it died.

Can it be that the fuel have gone bad already in one month?
    There was some fuel in pump and pipes that stayed good, thats why it run for first 30, but the gas in tank has gone bad? Condensation maybe, as tank was quite empty. Never happened in Europe even when haven't used bike for half a year, but will replace the fuel just in case.

Would be ideal to use my gas bag, but of course it leaks. Plastic bottles it is then...
  10. memento13

Oddometer:
    But how do you get old fuel out of pump and pipes? I guess disconnecting tank quick-connect and pushing starter button a couple of times will do?
  11. memento13

Oddometer:
    New fuel didn't help, so it is weak battery or valves.

It kind of starts to ignite and then bogs down:

Feels like weak battery, but that would not explain why it dies after running 10-30 secs.

Checked also spark plug and it had more black soot on it, but it was still sparking.

I think it is time to learn adjusting valves now.
  12. memento13

Oddometer:
    Could be also ignition coil problem, but would be quite difficult to get new one around here, only with DHL. As I heard, spark in open air doesn't mean it sparks under pressure.
  13. Riel

Riel Explorer

Oddometer:
    According to your Mauritania Video - which I greatly enjoyed and it deserves another high 5 :super- it appears you spent considerable time riding along an ocean beach.

In my experience salt water spray can play havoc with all sorts of bike systems - especially anything that requires the movement of electrons.

These symptoms can vary with temperature, humidity, and over time since salt acts as a conductor initially then over time accelerates the corrosion process thus acting like a variable resistance and then, if left long enough, eventually an insulator.

If you have not already done so, it might be worth your time to inspect and carefully clean all your electrical connectors.

HTH and you can continue your ride South with a smooth running machine.
  14. memento13

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I checked wires, but not very thoroughly as there is spark and fuel injection works. I guess it is worth to check it again, have to clean the bike anyway for the valve change.

Yep riding on the beach has had it other downsides as well, like rust everywhere, but it was most fun day in Mauritania. I avoided riding in water, maybe only a couple small buddles, but as I had to wait several times for the waves and water to back down, before I could continue another 50m, sand was quite wet as well. Bike was also washed next day, but not great for the bike indeed.
  15. Franque

Franque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Look for any signs of rubbing/pinching on the wires. Check to make sure all the grounds are clean/tight. Do you have any sort of fueling tuner added to it?
  16. memento13

Oddometer:
    Cleaned already the grounds: back near the battery and under the tank.

No tuner, engine is stock.
  17. Franque

Franque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are only two? I'd double and triple check that there aren't more, I'd be super surprised if there aren't, and I'd look for corrosion in the ignition switch, or loose connectors. There's probably a ground junction box, check that too. Will it still turn over with the kill switch on, and is the side stand switch okay?
  18. memento13

Oddometer:
    No sidestand switch, I actually even don't have sidestand after Morocco-Mauritania border crossing:D
  19. memento13

Oddometer:
    Went over and cleaned wiring. Seems to be in quite OK state. Only problem is what I found already in Morocco, two wires were rubbing again each other and I used electrical tape to fix it:

20190718_111452.jpg

20190718_111627.jpg

The red-black one is I think for air-intake, so would make kind of sense if this would be problem, but only red one is rubbed open, so I doubt it is problem.

I don't think there is more grounds than 2 and no ground junction box. Although I lack knowledge in electricity, so can't be sure.

Will adjust valves now:
    20190718_120735.jpg
  20. memento13

Oddometer:
    Or seems like not, my feeler gauges are rusted :(

Edit1:
    Will clean with wd40 and hopefully they still accurate enough.

Edit2:
    Clearance are a lot more out whack now, could easily be the problem:
    In1: 0.17
    In2: 0.18
    Ex1: 0.19
    Ex2: 0.25

Should be in the range of 0.10-15 and 0.12-0.17, so all are out of range, especially exhaust 2. Would kind of make change if this is the problem, as valves barely open with these clearances.