Tampa Bay area street rides

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by DBM, Aug 4, 2018.

1. DBM

DBM Let's Just Ride!!

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,
    Just picked up a new leftover 2014 CB1100 standard. Love the bike. Looking for fellow street riding buddies for some backroad twisty fun in the Tampa Bay area. Mike (813) 317-1124 dbm440@gmail.com
    Dan Diego likes this.
  2. south

south Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As you may well/likely know, the best riding is to the north of the bay area. If you show up any Sunday morning (after 10am or so) at the Speedway (formerly Hess) gas station at the intersection of US 98/Cortez Blvd and Spring Lake Hwy in Brooksville, you'll typically find quite a crowd, spanning the full range of ages and bike types--very probably the best opportunity to find some like-minded/compatible riding buddies.
    Mattbastard likes this.
  3. DBM

DBM Let's Just Ride!!

Oddometer:
    Thank you. I will check it out. I have also found some really nice roads to the south near the water and to the east in mine country.
  4. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip. I'm assuming it'll build in popularity as the temps drop?
  5. south

south Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Perhaps to some measure/degree (pardon the pun), but, typically, turnout isn't strongly dependent upon temperature. Sure, a "perfect" day may bring out more riders, but, in the end, this is Florida: 7-8 months out of the year, if you want to ride, you're going to have to deal with/manage the heat in one way or another.

In addition to equipping yourself with warm-weather gear--full perf leather or textiles, etc.--making an early start is key to avoiding the worst of the heat/humidity. That's why I recommended arriving after 10am: most groups get their ride in early and stop off at the Speedway afterwards to hang out/shoot the sh*t. Prime time is probably between 11am and noon-1 o'clock.

Personally, when I make it--which, honestly, I haven't for quite some time--I'm rolling right around sunrise to arrive in the area by 8-ish, 2-3 hours to ride, including maybe a stop for breakfast, check in at the Speedway, and then back home on the couch in the AC by noon or 1pm at the latest.

However, during summertime in FL, the trade-off to avoiding the mid-day heat by riding earlier in the day is contending with potential damp spots (under the trees) left over from the previous evening's thunderstorm--just something to bear in mind/be watchful for.

And speaking of evening, that's the other prime summertime riding opportunity. A couple decades ago, Saturday nights were big in the bay area: start out at the beach around 7-8pm, work back across the bay via several established stopping points to hit Ybor City about midnight and maybe finish on the Causeway at 2-3am. Those times are long gone--doubtless for the best, but I confess I'm glad I was there for them. However, a quick run out to the beach or to one of the area bike nights in the evening--once the sun goes down and traffic eases--can provide a fix for a riding jones and create opportunities to meet some fellow riders.
  6. twowheeledgator

twowheeledgator Dork

Oddometer:
    DBM,
    Where in the Bay Area? I am in Northern Pinellas. Keystone Rd area has a few nice roads but may be tough to get to.
  7. DBM

DBM Let's Just Ride!!

Oddometer:
    Im in the Brandon area.
  8. twowheeledgator

twowheeledgator Dork

Oddometer:
    Well you are pretty close to some of my favorite riding in the state. Miles and miles of country roads down there. If you make you way north give me a heads up.
  9. DBM

DBM Let's Just Ride!!

Oddometer:
    Headed out this morning to ride the Gecko tail, then through Duette park, and lunch at the Pioneer. Might go back the same way or head north and catch Agricola Mine Road on the way home depending on the weather radar.
  10. DBM

DBM Let's Just Ride!!

Oddometer:
    Meeting this Sunday 9am at the 7-11 on the corner of Hwy 41 and Apollo Beach Blvd. I have a real nice loop set up headed south down 41 through Gulf City, Terra Ceia and then east to Parrish for lunch at Fearra's Italian grill. Some of the best New York style thin crust pizza on the planet. After lunch we are headed east to do the Tail of the Gecko back to the Brandon area. Too much fun. Mike 813 317 1124
    Mattbastard likes this.
  11. twowheeledgator

twowheeledgator Dork

Oddometer:
    Tail of theGecko????
  12. DBM

DBM Let's Just Ride!!

Oddometer:
  13. twowheeledgator

twowheeledgator Dork

Oddometer:
    Now that is some funny stuff. I hope you get you ride in before the rains. They have pounded us this evening.
  14. DBM

DBM Let's Just Ride!!

Oddometer:
    Yup. Gotta luv Floriduh summer fun.
  15. DBM

DBM Let's Just Ride!!

Oddometer:
    Today's ride was awesome. Very little traffic and no rain for a change. Looking forward to some cooler weather in the upcoming months. Anyone like back road twisties?
  16. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass

Oddometer:
    I do. Currently live in Tampa (around Brandon) and have a VStar 950. Haven't ridden much on account of still looking for work and trying to save money but that just changed today so now I'm planning on a trip to the Smokey's before starting since I won't have much vacation built up.
  17. DBM

DBM Let's Just Ride!!

Oddometer:
    Awesome. I ride every Sunday. I know some great local roads. Let me know when you are ready. Mike 813 317 1124
    Mattbastard likes this.
  18. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass

Oddometer:
    Cool, thanks Mike.
  19. Dogfarm

Dogfarm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any interest in getting out for a ride Monday? I live in Brandon.
  20. DBM

DBM Let's Just Ride!!

Oddometer:
    Im doing the Green Swamp loop early in the am tommorow. Not sure about Monday. Call me 813 317 1124