Tank bags

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by bruceca2002, Aug 6, 2004.

1. Jeff620RXC

Jeff620RXC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another vote for the Wolfman!

I have seen the KTM one and it looks nice....there is one on eBay right now.
  2. Ninjak

Ninjak Sasquatch

Oddometer:
    I love my KTM tankbag. It fits beautifully and holds a ton of stuff. My only complaint is that it interferes a little when standing up. But, not enough to be a problem.

I used it on a trip to Colorado in June. We did everything from dirt roads to single-track trails, and the bag was on the bike the whole time. It was easier to put on and take off than my friends Wolfman pack. The KTM bag's base straps to the bike, and the bag zips onto it.
  3. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the KTM bag. Very good quality and fits perfectly. The rear attachment points are engineered to fit the bike - very slick. It is a bit bulky between your knees when fully loaded, but that's mostly a function of its capacity. Recommended.

- Mark
  4. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the KTM bag. Very good quality and fits perfectly. The rear attachment points are engineered to fit the bike - very slick. It is a bit bulky between your knees when fully loaded, but that's mostly a function of its capacity, especially when expanded. Recommended.

- Mark
  5. inte

inte neophyte serendipity

Oddometer:
    Taken mine all over & it seems to hold up well - the main pouch's zipper has a bit of a kink in one spot now though. Weather or not it gets in your way seems to be a matter of opinion. I did the JL class a while back & his take was tank bags are always a no-no off road. That said, Scott harden had one on his 950 for the Big Cat ride.

I use mine out of necessity & it's fine - open desert, single track, fast sand whoops - doesn't seem to move - holds plenty, rain cover works well & fits in a side pocket.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. Darin

Darin WYSIWYG (WIZ-zee-wig)

Oddometer:
    I purchased the 950 tank bag for my 2001 640 Adv. It works great! the only differance is there is no cut out for the gas cap. At fill-up I unzip the bag, remove and loosen the front strap and presto ready to fill the tank. The 950 bag has an additional pocket in front and is very handy.

Darin

Pix coming soon
  7. Esteban

Esteban Banned

Oddometer:
    Somehow or another this is similar to an "oil thread".
  8. robdogg

robdogg turnip truck driver

Oddometer:
    reviving this thread with a question about the Wolfman bag. Does anyone here use the Wolfman Enduro bag on a 640 Adventure? how much does it interefere with refueling?

I had the KTM LC4 bag but it got ripped off and I am thinking of going with the smaller Wolfman since the KTM bag did tend to get in the way a little while standing on the pegs.
  9. ilmostro

ilmostro Under Da Sea

Oddometer:
    Just loosen off the front strap and push it out of the way. No big deal. With 8 gallons you don't have to fill them often :lol3
  10. scottcolbath

scottcolbath Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm running this Pelican in the pic below on the back of my bike right now. It's perfect for light travel. If I'm needing more room, I toss the carrier frame on which provides the ability to run two Pelicans on the sides.

Here's the part:
    http://www.ktm-parts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=58412020000&Category_Code=KTMHEA

[​IMG]
  11. robdogg

Oddometer:
    which Pelican is that? it looks pretty large. I am thinking of getting the 1450 for DS use and using my Givi for commuting/road use as some others have done. Still, for me, a tank bag is indispensible, for one primary reason; easy access to the digi-cam. I can quickly pull over, unzip the bag, pull the camera out of it's soft case and get off a quick shot or two all without getting off the bike or even shutting the engine off..

and who made your seat btw?
  12. scottcolbath

scottcolbath Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's the 1520. Not really that large. I wouldn't mind one a little deeper.

13. G.Kennedy

G.Kennedy ...

Oddometer:
    None !!! I have mine mounted behind my filler, and I don't feel crowded on the back side. I bump it when I stand, but its not making me move back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. scottcolbath

scottcolbath Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK, I had to beat the information out of JimJib one detail at a time.

He did the seat himself. Here is what he said.

And then this on the seat material.

Happy chopping.

S.C.
  15. robdogg

Oddometer:
    cool, thanks for taking the time to take pictures; that really helps a lot!

got one on order; I think I'll like it better then the KTM bag as the KTM factory bag did get in the way while standing on the pegs; It wasn't as noticable before but now that I've ridden for a while without it; I do notice the difference
  16. txrider

txrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. rapiti

rapiti IOR Veteran

Oddometer:
    I use the Touratech tank bag. It is almost identical to the KTM/Famsa in shape, but made of heavier materials. The zip-off base is nice. When off-roading, it is in the way, mostly due to its side pockets (like the KTM bag.) I can straddle it, but the side pockets are there.

Depends on your intended use. You can fit an amazing amount of beer or sushi in there, but if offroading is your thing, the (relatively) tiny Wolfman is the way to go. I bought a KTM/Famsa LC4 tail bag off ebay last year, and it seems like a nice piece, but the TT stuff is burlier, FWIW.
  18. robdogg

Oddometer:
    is there any other way to ride a 640?? :huh
  19. rapiti

rapiti IOR Veteran

Oddometer:
    Well, he said he was in Texas :huh

Some folks use them to commute to work, or don't stand up when they ride offroad. In these situations, the TT is fine. If you are offroading all day on more than fire roads, the Wolfman will be the call. Do I need to spell it out any clearer, Troll? :huh :huh
  20. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    Rap's havin' a bad day......

[​IMG]