"Tank Panniers"

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by drew-at-large, Jan 14, 2007.

1. drew-at-large

drew-at-large Outhouse Race Team

Oddometer:
    Hi @ all,

I'm interested in tank panniers. I would like to hear some people's experience(s) (handling, etc.) and recommendations (tank panniers (along with projected price), bike set-up (i.e., heavier fork oil), and where to order). I'm less into "hardcore" off-roading and more into adventure touring -- on and off pavement. Going off-road will be more like easy - moderately difficult terrain/trails/streams, damaged paved roads and dirt roads.

Yes, there is a recent thread on the subject, but being labeled "tank bags" may not get the same visibility... and thus, possibly less input.

Here are some of my planning assumptions. Please chime in to confirm and/or deny my assumptions.

Pluses:
    1) they would keep the front-end down on a thumper at "highway" speeds on the road
    2) they would seem to balance out the load more
    3) reduces the amount of stress on the rear subframe (should the rider reallocate items from the rear that is)
    4) another potential benefit would be the protection of the tank (faux or real) -- and possibly legs -- should you find yourself with something other than rubber side down
    5) and of course, more storage space

Negatives:
    1) reduces front forks' ability to absorb the bumps -- thus (potentially) reducing off-roading capability (not that I plan to expect my (heavy) Dakar to perform like my friend's XR650R... nor do I plan to do "hardcore" off-roading either)
    2) potentially impacts handling

Again, I would appreciate any input with experience(s) and recommended kit.

Thanks in advance,
    Drew
  2. mountainGS

mountainGS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got the Wolfman tank panniers and they're great. I've used the same bags on numerous bikes and they always seem to work out. The advantages are many such as extra gear capacity, tank protection, wind protection and in some applications you can even brace against them. The two negatives you mentioned, on the Wolfman bags at least, don't even apply. They just aren't big enough to get so heavy as to effect handling and front suspension travel. The tank bags that Aerostich sells appear to be much larger then the Wolfman bags so maybe you'd have some issues of that nature with them.
    I use my tank bags all the time.
  3. Walterxr650l

Walterxr650l Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got mine here. Wolman Luggage Aerostich also sell some. I don't notice them affecting handling any. But then I don't put a lot of weight in them. Just some extra layers and spare clothes.
  4. Gadjet

Gadjet Gadget Freak

Oddometer:
    I have a set of the Wolfman Tank Panniers on my KLR. I love them. They don't interfere with standing on the pegs, and they help to block some of the wind from hitting my legs when I'm sitting down.

I don't generally pack a lot of heavy stuff in them, usually just my rain gear, spare gloves, first aid kit, that sort of thing - stuff that I want to keep ready at hand, that won't necessarily fit in the tank bag.

affect on handling? haven't really noticed any difference

Affects performance of the forks? not that I've noticed, but as I said I don't put a lot of heavy stuff in them.

I consider them well worth the $100CAD that they cost me.
  5. DantesDame

DantesDame Ridin' Fool Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I have some panniers... but for the life of me I can't recall what brand. They've never caused me any problems, although my legs are a bit longer than most and my knees rest up against them.

They did help save the KLR in a low-side (not that the KLR needs much saving) and they are very handy for keeping frequently-used items (like layers, water and munchies). I found that I can stick my camelback water bag in one and run the hose up from there. Keeps me from having to wear the camelback all of the time :thumb

Oh, and I've also used them on my 1150GS (adventure tank) with no problems.

[​IMG]
  6. mikerd400

mikerd400 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just bought a set of Mountain Sun tank panniers and they are great. I am very happy with the purchase.
  7. SteveRed

SteveRed Adventure Moto

Oddometer:
    Yep... Wolfman! +1 :D
  8. Carscadden

Carscadden Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    More pics please.
  9. SScratch

SScratch Somewhat Tolerable

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    I've read, but don't know first hand, that they're also nice while riding in cold and/or wet weather - as they keep the wind off of your legs, kind of like a semi lower fairing.
  11. TwoShots

TwoShots Vagabond

Oddometer:
    Scratch,
    I've googled to find the Wilderness Trail tank panniers without success. Where did you get them?

Thanks,
  12. Plugger

Plugger Eat'n a sammich

Oddometer:
    I've also got wolfman tank panniers, keep them on the bike(KLR) all the time. Left side carries tools and right side I keep tire irons, two spare tubes, (front and rear) and valve stem tool.

I've got the older black cordura panniers and the only complaint is their not waterproof. Of course Eric changed the material the year after I bought mine. I would suggest the expedition series if you go with wolfman panniers.
  13. JTT

JTT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another big + on the tank panniers. I have Wolfman ones on my KLR. Once I found a position that got them far enough forward for my knees I couldn't be happier with them. They're the one peice of luggage that never comes off my bike. No effect on handing, unless maybe you plan to load them with lead bars. Great wind and element protection for the knees. Offroading is no problem, don't even notice they're on.

Oh, and as for flopping around? Never, even in extreme conditions. :wink:

[​IMG]
  14. Swampthing

Swampthing Explorer

Oddometer:
    Less than $40 bucks at Tractor Supply...Very nice, tons of room, no handling problem what-so-ever.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. Marlon

Marlon no guts, no galaxy

Oddometer:
    They look just what I need!

The only thing what I could find from TS was this
    They are not the same what you have in your bike...

16. timdog

timdog a.k.a. Josh

Oddometer:
    I have the same "Wilderness Trail" tank bags as posted above. Very nice quality for the price. $19.99 on Overstock.com.
  17. drew-at-large

drew-at-large Outhouse Race Team

Oddometer:
    Thanks @ all! Good info -- and photos -- all the way around! I liked the idea of tank panniers and you all were very helpful. I'll be weighing my options on which one to go with and close the deal. The folks that make the Kahedo ones are about 20 minutes from where I live... so, I'll drop by and compare them to the others mentioned.

Again, thanks.

Cheers,
    Drew

P.S., JTT, Excellent Photo! Nice to see pigs fly. :thumb My Dakar is a little on the "Porky" side -- perhaps I can get 3" of air out of it. :lol3
  18. Swampthing

Swampthing Explorer

Oddometer:
    The ones I posted pictures of are the ATV tak cargo bags. I think they are TSC# 4428014, but they only show one picture for the whole category of tank bags on the TSC site.

Chet
  19. Preston

Preston livin4it

Oddometer:
    I used my Aerostitch tank panniers in the traditional position (on the tank) for an entire season. Then I thought, Hmm, IMS put the vent holes in the tank for a reason. But, the panniers covered those vents. To avoid a potential overheating situation ( which never did occur--but), I re-positioned the panniers as you see in the photo. I have to admit I got the idea from a Gregg Frazier pic I saw. Obviously worked for him very well, so why not for me!
    They do not interfere with anything in this position and carry all they did before. And, they keep the balance point more centrally located ( if that is an issue)..
    Just a thought..................
  20. Preston

Preston livin4it

Oddometer:
    Yes, I did realize that IMS made em that way initially, and I held off for a time before relocating the tank panniers. I simply assumed tnat IMS may have seen a potential for overheating, but like I said, I never did have a problem when they were on the tank sides.. Just thought it made sense in a way to have them where they are now.
    Another benefit (maybe small for some) is that I can see down past the tank side muchh easier when on some tricky surfaces. That's probably just a mental thing for this old dude, but what the heck, if it works for me, then I go for it..
    I fitted the straps under the Corbin seat and there is no problem finding and attachment points for the bungee hooks.
    The only time I feel them is when stopping and putting a foot down. They touch under the leg slightly, but not enough to ever bother..