"Tank Panniers"

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by drew-at-large, Jan 14, 2007.

1. mike1952

mike1952 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have they scratched up your tank at all?
  2. saddlsor

saddlsor my butt hurts

Oddometer:
    I was at walmart today looking around. ( i know, what was i thinking ). came across some tank panniers in the atv section. they ended up being just what I needed. I was trying to find some not to big but big enough to hold a couple of water bottles +. these will hold 2 nalgene bottles in each side plus a little extra. I figure to carry a couple of water bottles, a msr fuel bottle, my water filter plus some other small items. these I'm sure are not waterproof but what I'm planning on carrying in them, it doesn't matter to me. I figure it will transfer 10 lb. off the back and move it forward. plus I had an extra, small duffel bag on the back that I can now eliminate. they seem like they're reasonably tough and only cost 20 bucks. what was funny is while I was looking and trying to figure out if they were big enough, I took them out of the bag and got a water botttle to test for size and I was stuffing it inside the bag. I guess I was being watched through the security camera's because while I was doing this an employee shows up and pretends to be scanning products around me but I could tell he was watching me so I got to talking to him, explaining what I was doing so he could quit faking it. he understood after that.
  3. skierd

skierd Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer:
    I picked up the walmart ATV tank pannier/bag yesterday as well, haven't gone out to put them on yet though. I'm probably going to return them for the TSC one if its still available, I like the look of those better (even if they are 3x the price, the walmart bags were only $17!).
  4. saddlsor

saddlsor my butt hurts

Oddometer:
    man, I got ripped off. :lol3 for my use I figure the tsc panniers would be too big. the walmart one hold my water bottles and a few other things and that's what I wanted. if you want more room the tsc ones are a better choice.
  5. ShinySideUpAZ

ShinySideUpAZ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bought mine at Amazon.com the price changes alot, so keep checking. I paid $38 Delivered. They are a great look and match to my Rapid Transit Bradley Tank Bag I picked up on a closeout sale at NewEnough.com for $22 delivered. My main purpose for buying the panniers was for wind protection on cold mornings. I am in the process of making rigid forms to keep them opened up, but for now I just threw a bath towel in each. The difference is amazing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. green hell

green hell yawning or snarling

Oddometer:
    i love mine. wind protection, extra gloves, food, water, sweatshirt and other small items...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    Nice to see some alternatives to the $100+ models from Stitch, Mt sun and others. I've been trying to track down a set of roll top tank panniers for a while, found em and ordered em. Should be here in a couple of days. The ones I got have an abundance of square\rectangular D rings on them and come with some water\fuel bottle holders that you strap on to said D rings in whatever position you like.
  8. backroadsofau

backroadsofau down under

Oddometer:
    It has been great reading all the reviews. I selected my tank bags and am looking forward to them being delivered soon. will post pics when i do!

keep it up guys!
  9. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wolfman?
  10. HaChayalBoded

Oddometer:
  11. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
  12. HaChayalBoded

Oddometer:
    The yoke is just a hair too short to use as seat panniers on the bike I wanted them on, might get rid of em and find something else. Just got them the other day.

Here are some more pics, note the water bottle holder is removable and can be placed on any of the 4 sides of the bag.

http://www.amazon.com/ATV-detachable-Zipperless-Waterproof-WAB-806/dp/B001V7LP00
  13. greer

greer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  14. HenryJ

HenryJ S-10CREWCAB.COM

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the thread!

I have been trying to come up with some tank panniers. Originally I lusted for the Dual-Star tank panniers. They are no longer available. In the mean time I put together the "Army" bags. I came across a pair of surplus military bags. Buckles , straps and hooks added to them attach the bags to the tank. The bottom has two wide plastic clips that attach them much like the tank bag. The two upper straps are adjustable to tighten them up. I added a drawstring top to the inside and a couple snaps to better secure the flap.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

They do work just fine, but I have to admit they are a little off theme. Function over form. They do break the wind and draw heat from the engine up around my legs.

Then I found this thread with several using the "Classic Quad Gear Extreme" ATV Tank Cargo Bags. They looked pretty darn good. I found a set for under $40 shipped. The price was right.
    With a little stitching and trimming, I made them fit the KLR tank pretty well. I shifted them forward to allow the use of the tank bag. Pinching the neoprene and stitching made it fit the contour of the tank better.

[​IMG]

Narrow at the front and wide at the back the shape is much better. The color and texture a better match for sure.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The bags come with a bright orange shock cord. That was not my taste and I just happened to have some black shock cord on hand, so I added the hooks to my cord. I did lengthen them a little too for a better fit.
    The Velcro strip was not in the right place for me so I added them to the underside across the tank bag. Not really "needed" , but they do keep the opening for the fuel cap from moving around.

After a few days of riding with them on, I like them. They fill the void in front of me better. The low pressure pocket in front of me is larger. Filling that gap below the hand-guards helped quite a bit. They are padded and that helps them retain their shape. My knees to sit against them while riding, but that does not bother me. Three big pockets in each. They have lots of room. On the top there are two pockets that I may use for receipts and things like that. These look to offer pretty decent water resistance. At least better than my "Army" bags. I think they are an improvement.

Thanks for shining the light on these bags! :thumb