Tank protection survivability

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Orfeas, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Orfeas

Orfeas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I was choosing tank protection I admit I mainly went for the looks & price so I went with Rade CF tank protection. After the first few side “sleeps” (no I won’t use “crashes”), I had white spots from the Inner fiber layers that were exposed. The easier fix for this is..paint, even though it looks meh:

34094F4E-2679-4F54-A745-2CC289C01F40.png

Are the KTM CF protectors looking better after touching the ground or is it the same with Rade? not sure if I should expect more from this material.

Also, for those with AXP, how does the HDPE looks after crashing? I am after a material that will protect & look OK-ish after some trail abuse.
  2. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I really dig the look of carbon fiber, however it's been my experience that CF looks like crap after getting gouged up and those little fibers are aren't skin friendly either. I'd much rather rock rashed up OEM guards, HDPE, or even aluminum than rashed up CF.

As I recall the test riders in Morocco were breaking the KTM CF guards. The stock ones may not look fancy but they work well and are cheap to replace. ;)
    Brilloman, Venturer and Orfeas like this.
  3. Orfeas

Orfeas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The only issue with the stock ones is they feel flexible/vulnerable compared to CF. Which might be good or bad depending the occasion I suppose. If I put the stock ones back, I will make sure I install a fuel pump guard tbh.
    windblown101 likes this.
  4. brunosac

brunosac Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Orfeas, please where did you get the tank stickers?
  5. Orfeas

Orfeas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    those are from crispy stickers (UK), very nice quality but ended up removing them, didn’t really like the looks.
    brunosac likes this.
  6. brunosac

brunosac Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Uhh... Thanks!
  7. a.c.e.

a.c.e. U Mud, Bro?

Oddometer:
    The stockers are perfectly fine to me, look neat and narrow, survive offroad naps flawless and a lil' skidder isn't a big deal, see below.
    If you fear skidders from lowsiding at high speeds, you shall reinforce the inside or even go all in for bars like OM or TT.

1.JPG
    Venturer and nibby like this.
  8. Beshar

Beshar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What tires and foot pegs do you use?
  9. Orfeas

Orfeas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have heard (not seen tbh) that the stock plastic ones can easily deform in an impact, and thats why Rottweiler and others have developed a fuel pump guard. Cant imagine the force needed for this to happen, but better safe than sorry i guess! I am now using Ian Chappel skid plate & Rade protectors (these are VERY heavy, although CF).
    Now considering buying the AXP skid plate which is lighter and also has no damage-memory HDPE.

IMG_8200.jpg
  10. kubcat

kubcat Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I don't think the impact from a low side slide will deform the plastic enough to break the plastic fuel fitting. That would be more likely to happen if you slammed it into a tree or a rock in tight singletrack. I had a slide last summer that ground down a hole in the protector, but didn't get to the tank, so it did its job. Replacement was 3 or 4 screws - 5 minutes and $36. Since then I bought the Rottweiler protector for the fuel elbow, and shortly thereafter the AXP plate. I don't have it yet, but I think the AXP plate will make the protector unnecessary.

I think the plastic tank guards are fine as they are. I wanted to go with the BDCW skid plate, since it uses the stock tank guards, but I went with AXP since I prefer the advantages HDPE in this application. The engine is mechanically loud enough, so I would rather dampen those sounds with HDPE than amplify them with metal.
  11. a.c.e.

a.c.e. U Mud, Bro?

Oddometer:
    OK the stock protectors won't survive smashing into rocks like CF or thick HDPE will, but barely the case for me, so no concern here.
    For me on the plus side is easy and cheap exchange and good protection.
    TBH I think RP developed the fuel pump guard for the AXP plate, cause this doesn't protect that area as good as stock.

Thos are Brisgestone AX41 and Pegs are from Rade/Garage.
  12. SirWreckaLot

SirWreckaLot Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Laid mine down with the AXP going around 30 mph on a rocky trail. Handled it like a champ. Not a scratch on the bike except for the side of the AXP - still looks good, no deep scaring or anything that I was half expecting.

Also, it was the smoothest downing I’ve ever had. No crazy impact, just a pleasant transition to the ground. Actually put me in a better mood and instilled more confidence for the rest of the day riding.

I gotta say, I was a crash bars guy through and through but fellow inmates berated and sold me on the AXP and I’m glad they did.
  13. Orfeas

Orfeas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ordered the AXP, hopefully lighter than my current combo (Ian Chappel skid plate & RG tank protection).
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  14. Orfeas

Orfeas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I just saw this on FB:

B658C175-3BCA-4BE5-94FC-561817904C04.jpeg 5FB78D36-67AE-4A94-BC74-66CBFCD04FFB.jpeg 13DA82EA-3A56-4A01-BAB9-47AD874A2C85.jpeg AE00F2A5-E49D-48F0-9E59-D81A7CD50FF3.jpeg 508F38ED-3030-418A-8A8C-D201353F16E5.jpeg
  15. tshansen

tshansen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. jmarleau

jmarleau Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like the hit from the rock flexed the plastic side panels hard enough to bend the skidplate (#1st Photo) and make contact with the plastic elbow at the fuel pump. This does not look like an expensive fix. (?) But it does make the case for the harder carbon fiber options.

I wonder if that hose clamp (#3 Photo) could be rotated up further out of the way?
  17. SirWreckaLot

SirWreckaLot Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Known issue. If you want to stick with the stock skid plate - Rottweiler sells a cover for it and an improved replacement.

http://www.rottweilerperformance.com/rottweiler-performance-790-adventure-fuel-pump-guard/

http://www.rottweilerperformance.com/rottweiler-performance-790-adventure-billet-fuel-spigot/

The conversation has been had and most of people to include me feel the majority of aftermarket skid plates to include the AXP will protect it without the Rottweiler cover, but no harm in doubling up.