Taps & Dies Useful Tables

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ricardo Kuhn, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    ohgood likes this.
  2. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    I have seeing the Stock bolt question here a few bunch of times, how do i repair a damage threed , evertyhing is expplain there in the subsquental champers and videos, vary basic for most (Me at least that I.m hack) but i have learn a few little tricks too..
  3. rg500

rg500 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    if you can't find any tables( in this day of google) the formula for tap drill size is major diameter minus the pitch...
  4. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    I chop the busted fastener as flat as possible. Then I dimple it dead center with a spring-loaded center punch. Drill with progressively larger bits until you get close to threads. Then run a tapered tap through. I rarely have to use a helicoil or the like.
    Tall Man likes this.
  5. shovelstrokeed

shovelstrokeed Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is a wonderful book called Mark's Handbook of Mechanical Engineering. I have two copies, one from 1933, which was my father's and mine from 1971. All mechanical wisdom is contained therein. You can even learn stuff from the book.
  6. Stan_R80/7

Stan_R80/7 Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer:
  7. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

That's pretty cool, thanks for sharing.

If you want a wall chart, mcmaster-carr, bronw and sharpe, starrett, and every industrial supply house out there will send you one if you ask nicely on the phone while ordering things. Very handy when the drill comes out to triple check you're doing it right :)
  8. homemadetools

homemadetools n00b

Oddometer:
    Jon here from HomemadeTools.net.

Thanks for the mention. [​IMG]

We've added a link to this discussion to our links page, along with 8 other links from AdvRider. We also have 169 homemade tools built by AdvRider.com member listed in our encyclopedia (fully credited to all builders, and this site, and directly linked multiple times): Homemade Tools built by AdvRider.com members. Let me know if we've missed any.

To celebrate our 20,000th homemade tool, we made a new ebook featuring our top 50 homemade tools. You guys are welcome to it for free:

http://download.homemadetools.net/50MustReadTools.pdf

[​IMG]
  9. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    Are you kidding me, you site rules, someday I send you a few stupid and maybe no so stupid projects...

Thanks for keeping the brainics alive...
  10. homemadetools

homemadetools n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the thanks Ricardo! We've found motorcycle guys are some of the best homemade tool builders and appreciators.
  11. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer: