Taranaki Adventure rides

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by young1, Aug 20, 2016.

1. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Obviously we save the best for last - time for a "Naki" thread. Please feel free to add / post to it :-)

Today Phil (Phreaky Phil) Colin (Micawberism) and I headed out for a ride.

Colin and Phil were meant to be away this weekend but their plans changed..... Anyway because of that we saw Phil out on his new (well I presume there are some new bits on it?) bike.

First stop was gas at Urenui. IMG_0921.JPG

Then over Mt Messenger, turned right at Ahititi and rode to Toii Road (turn right a few kilometres before Kiwi Road) which was a delightful no exit road.

IMG_0925.JPG IMG_0926.JPG

Attached Files:

Night Falcon likes this.
  2. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Then carried along and headed down Mangatoro Road which was another no exit road. Then onto Kiwi Road where it must have been rush hour as we met a 4WD coming the other way. I think in all my years of riding there that would be the first car I have seen (this isn't the normal view of Kiwi Road - this is between the tunnel and Moki Road) IMG_0933.JPG

I then headed for home along Moki Road with a stop at the Moki tunnel.
    IMG_0935.JPG IMG_0936.JPG IMG_0940.JPG

A great few hours riding.
    Oaters and Night Falcon like this.
  3. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    that ktm looks wider than the beemer :augieanyway, that ensemble looks familiar, i reckon i've passed you blokes going the other way down those parts a couple times now?

certainly a magic part of nz when its fine :thumb
    Oaters likes this.
  4. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have bags on my crash bars, carry a tube in each one (just in case we were riding with Al who seems to puncture ....), so she looks a wee bit wide

Where are you?
  5. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    tauranga mate. but the missus is a naki girl and we're down there reasonably often. more so now we've got a few acres up behind urenui.
    young1 likes this.
  6. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice pics Mike. I took a couple on my cell phone. Ill ad them to the mix.
    I pad charger has packed up so the pics may have to wait.

Hey Wairau those are actually BMW roker covers strapped to the side of Mikes bike :lol3 Just because !
  7. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    As promised a couple of pics.
    Shameless pic of the project bike with Mike in the background.
    image.jpg
    Colin on the recently resurrected 1100GS.
    image.jpg

Mike just after the KIwi road tunnel
    image.jpg
    Kokopelli, young1 and Night Falcon like this.
  8. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Phil your new bike looks like she has been to a serious weight watchers class! :clap
    Oaters likes this.
  9. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now it's owner needs to go :lol3
  10. Oaters

Oaters Old - not bold - moto riding addict

Oddometer:
    great to see you 'Naki 'Hard Core' lads out having fun - just been to the South of your Territory with Mrs Oaters in the 'Oaterhome' for some R&R at Waverly Beach Camp - great spot

Your latest project looks great Phil - to my eye, I appears you're using an early generation shaft? Forks from? R100R tank - nice

Frame modified / fabricated by you?

MD breathed on the motor?
  11. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Oaters, nice that you've been in the neighbourhood. Never been out to the beach at Waverly before. Mike and I were talking the other day about riding out to some of those. Waverly, Waitotara Kaiiwi etc. Also some great adventuring inland of Waverly !
    Good spotting on the bike, the frame is an R80RT frame, strengthened by me with shortened DRZ 400 forks (which I had on the DR650 ) and a custom Nitron rear shock. The motor was built by Kane as it need a complete rebuild and MD was extremely busy but he built the gearbox and final drive.
    It's just being run in but it feels like it has "potential" the shock is a bit to stiff at the moment but will have a revolve soon. It feels REALLY light and nimble.
    Oaters likes this.
  12. Oaters

Oddometer:
    Nice looking stead Phil

Great RR - Mike and Phil

You 'Naki hard core men certainly live in a great part of the country

Colin - good to see you still punting the trusty R1100GS along - flying the flag us 'oil head' riders :)
    young1 likes this.
  13. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Broke Engine Supporter

Oddometer:
    gotta get back over to the Naki some time soon......find myself saying that a lot lately, but interest is brewing I hear for another HB invasion, this time a proper one with tents and stuff....what's a good tent to get :lol3
  14. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use a Macpac Nautilus. Says it's a 2 man, but you'd have to be real close & have no other gear. Fly & tent are attached, so that it's a single pitch. Easier in the rain. Usually specials off at $250ish.
  15. Oaters

Oddometer:
    Night Falcon - influenced by Steve's choice of tent - I purchased a Nautilus - used 7 weeks in Australia, several weeks in New Zealand including two Brass Monkey excursions - at the Brass this year I was dismayed to find the 'tub' floor porous the moment I pressed on it, whilst placing my gear inside. On speaking with the local Macpac folk here in the 'Hutt, they were most helpful - checking the specs and telling me this should not happen - bring it in and we'll have it tested (must take them up on that)

As Steve has said - they're very compact / cosy - only issue I find is the design of the vestibule can cause ingress of water - condensation / rain / snow when the flap is open for entry / exit - overall I'm very pleased with my Nautilus
  16. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, I'd agree with everything that Oaters has said. Built to a price, & has some issues. But overall good value - at $250. I wouldn't pay the RRP $400+.

Prior to that I had a Celeste, which was another 2p, but wasn't a tunnel tent. Found that better, but you can't get them now. Entry & exit was from the one side, which giving the choice of 2 entries (either side of the mid line), which allowed for shifting wind, & was better for cooking etc.
  17. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Broke Engine Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the a tent sion chaps......wondered why I found myself dreaming about a tepee and a wigwam last night, realized this morning I need to relax a tad....I'm to tense :imaposer
    Phreaky Phil and Oaters like this.
  18. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think I need to finish a Tunnel tour and get the rest of those tunnels over there...
    Manakau.KTM likes this.
  19. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Let us know when you plan to come this way, be good to meet up
  20. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Phil, Leanne and I had a quick ride this morning, before the forecast rain arrived, out to Okato for a coffee. Phil is still running in his new bike so is keen for some kilometres closish to home. I must say from the rear his bike looks like a skinny trail bike but with two cylinder heads sticking out! A very nice bike. Anyway here we are full of coffee, putting some wet weather gear on as the rain arrived while we were there. Still it was good to get out :-) IMG_0969.JPG