Taranaki Adventure rides

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by young1, Aug 20, 2016.

1. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't need a new bike
    I don't need a new bike
    I don't need a new bike
    I don't need a new bike
    I don't need a new bike
    I don't need a new bike
    Man that 790 looks sexy
    I don't need a new bike
    I don't need a new bike
    Perhaps I'll just have a wee look....
    I don't need a new bike
    I don't need a new bike
    Hey guys! Look what I bought!!!
    young1 likes this.
  2. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    This was the "reasoning" behind me replacing a perfectly good 08 wee strom with an 18 version. Makes sense to me!
  3. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    After 2 years sulking in the garage KT has a new battery, WOF and rego. So..... Saturday the plan is to head to Waverley for morning coffee then head inland and explore the road ends and depending on time maybe also the road ends along the coast. Anyone and everyone is welcome to join us.

Phil I know you have to work this weekend but why not phone in sick and join us lol
  4. Micawberism

Micawberism Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Extensive logging has been undertaken up the Braemoore, Moumahaki, Mangawhio and around Lakes Rd area Youngy. Wont be many trucks on the roads on the weekend (due to the downturn) but just be aware there may be shit on the roads in places. Went up the end of Taumatatahi Rd last week. Got round a pile of logs and mud across the road only to have another lot come down 50 metres in front of me. If you go up there watch out for shit on the road, it may be mine :topes
  5. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads up Col, we will just be cruising this weekend but will keep our eyes wide open.

You were there last week, so I presume your bike is still up there ..... lol
  6. Adventure Moto

Adventure Moto Formerly Known as MOTOXNUT

Oddometer:
    Make sure that you give KT a good talking to. 2 years sulking is NOT acceptable behaviour and requires a severe attitude adjustment !! :dirtdog
    Night Falcon likes this.
  7. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don’t worry she knows her place and has promised to deliver tomorrow, now I have the fun of finding all of our riding gear!

(Actually I threatened to leave her at the dealer and bring a new bike home, that scared her enough lol)
  8. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The first ride in two years and the biggest problem we had was before we left home... where did Leanne put her gloves after that last ride! Once we found them we were on our way. SH3 to Eltham and then headed inland slightly (Fraser Road) to bypass Hawera (and looking at the map later it looks as though we missed Tiromoana Road which looks to be gravel). While the summit of Mt Taranaki was just visible Fantham's Peak was clear
    phBBTixhT%yW54dMewD3nQ.jpg

We went through Tawhiti and Ohangai before rejoining SH3. We changed our plan then, instead of heading towards Waverley we turned and went through Alton and Hurleyville (these are the sorts of places that are close to home where you don't stop as you are just heading out, or if on the way home you don't as you are nearly home - you know the sort of place so both places I haven't been before) then a stop on the bridge over the Patea River.
    qFQXP0DpR3+JMuXWEyYtng.jpg

And carried on up to Patea Dam along a gorgeous stretch of gravel. It is the first time I have seen the dam from the land and was surprised at how high it was. fzaxcHZDTTGCgrYPVBWzFQ.jpg

A stop at the boat ramp for morning tea
    IMG_5388.JPG

Before following the river back out (why does it always seem quicker riding back out verses riding in?) and turning to Patea for a nice healthy lunch at the only food shop open (actually a very good selection of "healthy food")
    IMG_5390.JPG
    IMG_5391.JPG

Then to Patea museum, again one of those "we must stop there one day" places and were pleasantly surprised at how good it was.
    IMG_5392.JPG

Then we headed for home via the Surf Highway. A great day on the bike but by the end of it my lack of motorbike fitness was starting to tell!

IMG_5394.JPG
    Night Falcon, wairau, Muzz67 and 8 others like this.
  9. Micawberism

Oddometer:
    Tirimoana is a road we used on one of the Naki rides (cant remember which one) a very short but to the point gravel section. Just watch the approach to the bridge, and the corners on the hill down to the bridge, and the .... Ahhh just enjoy it :clap
    No trucks to worry about on the gravel section of that road, they cant get across the bridge :imaposer
    As to my bike returning from trips Mr Young :dirtdog My knees still haven't recovered from that ride on a KTM :fpalm
    Which was actually much appreciated :ricky
    young1 likes this.
  10. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Yes I remember it now but at the time had no idea where I was.. Was it on the Somewhere to Nowhere ride?

These pics are from that ride in 2010
    Phreaky Phil likes this.
  11. Kiwi Mo

Kiwi Mo Long timer

Oddometer:
    toot toot
  12. Micawberism

Oddometer:
    More like "FORE" That line is only used by golf carts now :hmmmmm
  13. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    06AC8F39-070A-44E6-AB61-E41354D18B2D.jpeg B40E5044-6190-4AEB-ADEF-CFF1F0EF7839.jpeg Too nice a day not to go for a ride.

Bertrand Road swing bridge and Tarata tunnel.
  14. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    LOVE that old bridge .
    May it live forever! :-)
  15. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is a great bridge, interesting all the scratches on the big bollards at each end to stop trucks going over. Even in a small car it’s quite a squeeze (wonder if a boxer BMW would fit.... lol)
    Night Falcon and dazzadm like this.
  16. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Beemer will fit if Katie can get through with panniers :ricky
    Took the Mitsi van through the other day. Only couple inches clearance on wing mirrors
    young1 likes this.
  17. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    young1, Box'a'bits, Muzz67 and 2 others like this.