Taranaki Adventure rides

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by young1, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Kiwi Mo

Kiwi Mo Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am sure they have missed a tunnel, from memory there is one inland from Eltham. We went there on one of the rides we organised (Pekengahu way?). Phil, Colin?

Coming from the North, if you travel on SH3, not far before the Taranaki boundary is the Awakino Gorge tunnel.
  3. Micawberism

Micawberism Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Follow the Coast to the Naki. Plenty of interesting options between Raglan and Marakopa. The tunnel with the bikes stuck in it is at Waikawau. If you ride through it you will have to ride down onto the beach to turn around so don't go there lol. You are allowed to walk through it, its not against the rules.
    Small tunnel on the Frazer Smith Rd is often overlooked.
    I agree with bike selection, go with the Vee Strom. If you want to do any of the five abandoned tunnels either walk to these two or get permission from the landowners please. Only the two on Whanga Rd are accessible to general public. Not on the Vee Strom at this time of year though (unless you have good knobblies and godlike riding skills). That would be suited to the small bike and good knobblies. A riding companion wouldn't go astray either. There are enough tunnels on the gravel roads to keep anyone amused for a while.
    If you need any assistance gives us a yell :-)
  4. Micawberism

Oddometer:
    You would be thinking of the Tangahoe Tunnel Mr Young. Another often overlooked one. Considering its recent history worth a look just for the humour value. Awesome ride up the valley to the Lake as a bonus
    Raupuha Rd Tunnel
    Tarata Saddle Stock Tunnel
    Okau Rd Tunnel
    Bexleys (Private Rd)
    They sure missed a couple.
    There are more they missed but I wont list them as they require access permission.
    young1 likes this.
  5. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Which one did you take us to on one of the rides we organised? I didn't think that was the Tangahoe?

Did we go through it, then ride back through it, along some gravel and maybe towards Strathmore?

EDIT just looked up some of these other tunnels, it must have been the Raupuha Road one
  6. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks very much @Micawberism. @young1 for all the advice.

No intention of straying off the gravel and seal this trip, will be wearing out a pair of battlewings on the wee so the gravel roads will be challenge enough. I'd just like to explore all the backroads I never had time to look at when I lived down there. (or inclination, if I'm honest, but I know better now)

As for tunnels, I'll be happy with the Kiwi Road to Ohura tunnels, basically following Mike Hyde's route one day and may be some exploring the next. Waitewhena road looks interesting - that any good?? Possibly the FWH from Ohura back to NPL if I have time. An advantage of the wee is better range, the drz can only manage 200kms without dying of thirst, so would need to carry some with me if I came on that. Plus the wee is a tad more comfortable.

Was actually thinking of maybe doing this next (Anzac) weekend basing myself in NPL. How did you lot fare when the last storm went through? Is there any way of checking on the condition of the back roads or do you just take your chances? Right now the forecast for that weekend looks the best for a while but I'll leave it pretty late as accommodation doesn't seem to be a problem this time of year.

If I do come down could I perhaps invite youse jokers to a local house of refreshment on the Friday or Saturday night while I pick your brains to finalise route planning?

Cheers
    young1 likes this.
  7. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    Whitewhena rd is really nice. another good alternative is from SH4 a few km noth of Taumranui on to Opotiki rd -Aramui East rd - River rd -Roto rd - Huia rd in Ohura.
    oldbeer likes this.
  8. Micawberism

Oddometer:
    What storm?
  9. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll take that as "all roads in normal condition" :D:D
  10. Micawberism

Oddometer:
    All roads are good mate. Just the degree of mess that changes in the Naki.
    All roads are open (as far as I know). Dualsport tyres, Vee Strom, Ride carefully you will be good as gold.
    Mind you I did once close a gate at the top of a hill But I digress
  11. Oaters

Oaters Old - not bold - moto riding addict

Oddometer:

nice pics and comments from your ride with Leanne, Mike - top job - kind regards Oaters
  12. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :-):-)
    Thanks Oaters, hope everything is going well for you :-)
  13. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Accommodation booked. Will be in NPL on Saturday afternoon evening. Looking forward to it
  14. Micawberism

Oddometer:
    Working Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Otherwise I would be tempted to join you and show you a few short cuts :fpalm
    Where are you staying? Saturday night is a school night for me but may be able to meet you for an interchange of witty repartee over a fine meal. Or just a chat while eating Maccas.:dukegirl
  15. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Havent booked npl yet but a bnb in the middle somewhere, I think. One near Pukekura. We have a friend in the top end of Carrington Road we will visit Sat avo, with luck, but free for a drink or dinner somewhere after that.
  16. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Will ride down Thursday and chill by the magical Mokau River that evening.

Friday I’d like to do Totoro, Kumara and Waitewhenua to Ohura, (then maybe Tazzamanui for supplies but adds 1.5 hours…) and back to Awakino via Waitaanga Road. What is at Mokau and Awakino these days? Anywhere to buy food? 4 square etc??? so I can avoid going to Taumaranui if we fancy a slow day? Two up we find 4 hours riding is enough – don’t want to spoil the vibe by having to rush anywhere.

Saturday will ride though Ahititi, Kiwi Road, Moki Road, Okoki, Urenui and then to the big smoke. We will stay Saturday night in NPL somewhere in the middle of town.

Sunday, FWH through to Te Awamutu for Sunday night and home on Monday.

Should all be very cruisey.

So if anyone’s around on Saturday late afternoon, evening i’d be keen to say hi over a coffee or a beer.

Suggestions for a good Thai restaurant would be very welcome!

Cheers
  17. Kiwi Mo

Kiwi Mo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Re Mokau.
    There is a couple of places to buy a feed and no petrol.
    Petrol available 7 k north at Awakino Junction.
    Pub just south of the junction.
  18. Micawberism

Oddometer:
    Totoro Rd is scenic twisty and Tarseal. Gravel option is Paekaka Rd if your coming from the North.
    As a suggestion instead Waitewhenua why not come through the Aria Matiere then flick across Okahukurua Saddle Rd to Taumaranui for supplies. Then Kururau Rd until it re-joins FWH (River Rd). Across the Roto to Ohura, Waitaanga's to Ahititi/Awakino. You can still do the Waitawhenua on your way back North to Te Awamutu.
    Mokau has two Cafes and a Motel. Awakino has a Service Station that might or might not be open (depending on if the owners can be arsed doing something) and the Pub.
    Thai? isn't that an article of clothing? We don't do Thai's in the Naki :jack
  19. Micawberism

Oddometer:
  20. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that, will have a look at those routes. Will be coming from Awakino when we do those northern roads. With wifey on the back, seal is not a bad thing..... Good point about the Waitewhena on the way back, hadn't thought of that. Would be a nice gravel interlude in an otherwise mostly sealed day.

Hadn't got round to the tripadvisor thing yet so thanks for that too. Plenty of choice. We can see who is interested in meeting up and where later in the week. Possibly another chap from here is coming down Saturday for the MX champs, he might also be keen to say hi.

Will keep you posted.

Thanks again for the advice.