Taranaki Adventure rides

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by young1, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Micawberism

Micawberism Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now I'm confused lol. Coming from Awakino to do the Northern roads? So you are starting from Awakino? If so it opens up a few more possibilities for fun. Taumatamaire Rd or even up the coast to the Pomerangai to PIo Pio. I am afraid you will exceed your fun quota if your not careful. :-)
  2. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm staying in Awakino Thursday night and Friday night. Using that as a base so Friday ride (round the roads we are talking about) will start and end there. Wont be doing any exploring on the ride down. I was going to do the coast route when I was coming on my own.

I had a look at the saddle road, looks like fun. We'll see how we are going when we get to Ohura and might do the loop to Taumaranui via the saddle and back via River and Roti. I quite like rotis, as well as thais. Knowing us, though we will probs be running late so may leave it for next time. As you say, you can have too much of a good thing and the roads will all still be there next time.

Thanks again.

PS, there's a bloke over on the Adventure Riding NZ site looking for info on the current condition of the old Whanga road... if anyone knows perhaps they could jump on and let him know?. At this rate you will be putting up the "Full Up" signs at the weekend...
  3. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Plenty of Thai restaurants here in NP :-)

Thai Chef is always good, keep in touch Leanne and I might join you for dinner

Mike
  4. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    That would be great, thanks, will keep you posted.
    young1 likes this.
  5. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    OK, so accommodation all booked.
    I have made a booking for Thai Chefs 201 Devon for 6.30 pm on Saturday night
    Anyone is welcome to join us or just poke their heads in and say hello, whatever.
    Cheers
    young1 likes this.
  6. Micawberism

Oddometer:
    WP_20170419_12_34_18_Pro.jpg So while you lot were squirreling away at work some of us poor buggers had to do this
    Plus there was the traffic to contend with. WP_20170419_13_10_55_Pro.jpg

Miserable scenery shot just to make you all feel better.
    WP_20170419_12_36_49_Pro.jpg
  7. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice, looks like Kiwi Road - are you checking out my route for me??
  8. Micawberism

Oddometer:
    Matau Rd, then trundled along the Mangoaopa. Roads are in good nick at present.
    oldbeer likes this.
  9. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice pics Colin. In case anyone is trying to find Mangoaopa Rd, don't you mean Mangaoapa?
  10. Micawberism

Oddometer:
    It was a deliberate attempt at misleading the masses. :muutt
    Or a cock up, one of the two. :doh
  11. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You had me searching the map lol
  12. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey thanks Taranaki, we had an awesome trip. We took hundreds of photos so I'm going to have a go at a trip report. I'll put it into the "less than a week" section. It's going to be mostly pictures and minimal text. A few thoughts though.... Great, great roads, epic scenery, tunnels!, stock on the roads..... lots of. The Vstrom was a great choice of bike for us, two up it handled everything with ease and was pretty comfortable to boot. And the weather was amazing, for the whole trip. cannot ask for any more.

Hard to pick a favourite but probably have to say Kiwi Road as it has it all. Epic climb up, tunnel, lovely sweepy gravel section, steams, views. So much fun to ride. I'll have to come back, so many roads I didn't go on.

Lastly, a very big thanks to Mike and Leanne for turning out to dinner on Saturday night, very nice to put faces to names.

Cheers and thanks.
    young1 likes this.
  13. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
  14. Micawberism

Oddometer:
    Would have been good to meet Saturday but alas for we roster workers it was a school night. Glad you enjoyed the Naki. Don't tell to many people howaawesome it is, we like to keep that quiet.
    Nice rr so far
  15. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah nah thanks no worries, catch you next time maybe.
    Don't worry, I'll keep it very quiet, just posting on the 25 motorcycle forums I frequent. I wont tell a soul otherwise.
    Mind you, since Lonely Planet just decided that Taradise is the second best regional destination in the world no less, I suspect the cat is well out of the bag. About to get into round two of the rr now. Ran out of steam last night to finish it.
  16. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    I ended up going over the Okahukura saddle - that's an amazing piece of road, I loved it.
    Micawberism likes this.
  17. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    So I just found Jury road on my maps and thought great looking joiner road.... But looking closer I presume its not easily ride-able with out permission and probably summer weather? Anyone got some info on this one please?
  18. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jury road runs into Tewera forest. Permission has always been almost impossible to get since it was sold into private ownership wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy back.
  19. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    :( It lools like it would be a good ride. It is still public access to get through the lower section of it. Is it in forest through there?
  20. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can go in a little way before it's forestry. Assuming it hasn't changed, it all the way through and it joins into Arnold rd between the Pohukura and Whangamomona saddles.
    There's an awesome foot tunnel off Arnold road. Really long and it has a bend in the middle so you can't see the other end.