1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Taranaki Adventure rides

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by young1, Aug 20, 2016.

1. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just found arnold road. So where is the tunnel and do we need to get permission?

I guess you need permission to get to the white cliffs tunnel or is foot access only?
  2. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    White cliffs tunnel? Do you mean the one on the White Cliffs walkway? That is very much walking only, unless you motorbike along the beach from the Wai-iti end to it ( no go though to motorbikes in the tunnel )
  3. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. That takes that one off the list this weekend
  4. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is an old stock tunnel
  5. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its a bit of a walk across the farm. It took us two try's to find.
    You need permission to walk over the farm. I can't remember the name of the owner. Will try to find out if like ?
  6. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is the entrance
    image.jpg
    dazzadm likes this.
  7. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you've got time that would be cool.:nod
  8. DLRuapuke

DLRuapuke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Four of us a looking to do the Naki Tunnels Queens Birthday Weekend....................
    Last Easter ( 2015 ) we camped ourselves at Lake Rotokare - east of Eltham
    Chilly and Frosty but man the Kiwi song during the night was magic
    We didnt get to the Whanga Tunnels or Makaku and Tangahoe Tunnels................
    I gather the Whanga Tunnels are really quad or enduro passable
    Ive got a 1000 strom with the others on german 650's
    Tyre wise we are good to go but depends on the mindset..............
    Eltham Motel - still a good base ?? - we are heading over the Annie from HBay and probably come via Forgotten
    Weather looking passable

Gaz
  9. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    I haven't been down the Whanga rd this year but I believe it's pretty shitty and it's been so wet that I wouldn't even be keen on an enduro bike without a backup. Never stayed in Eltham, but anywhere in the Naki is accessible in a day. Eltham probably good if you are looking at the Sth Taranaki area.
    DLRuapuke and young1 like this.
  10. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    For eating establishments to choose from - Stratford would have far more.
    DLRuapuke likes this.
  11. DLRuapuke

DLRuapuke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok thanks for that - perhaps we will avoid the Whanga except the Pub end

Maybe look at next time with my RL250 but then thats a trailer jobby.......................

Cheers
    Gaz
  12. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    If your in the Makahu area and have the time, the ride from Makahu to the Bridge to Somewhere is really good. About an hour each way.
    DLRuapuke likes this.
  13. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was looking at that but think our day will be long enough as it is. Maybe a summer ride to get the whanga tunnels...
  14. Micawberism

Micawberism Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    http://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rc...lemate&usg=AFQjCNFCVsvEnQhQlyohfTOvo7aZtb7zTw

White Cliffs tunnel (Te Horo) has not been impassable to vehicles for years even if you could get to it. The white cliffs have eroded back and as the tunnel ran through the cliffs at a downward angle the seaward end is now a metre or two above the beach. A bit like the Tarata Tunnel, its now a couple of metres higher than the road. If you base your self at Eltham have a flick through the Tirimoana Rd. Short and sweet. http://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rc...hawera&usg=AFQjCNG8FyR5qY-y72hm9b4P6QreEYI5oQ
    geez why are these so long lol.
  15. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that info. The public access route was what had me wondering about it.

The Tunnel directory info is great. I had mapped out the tunnels using this info a couple of years ago, but only made time to do it this weekend... and the weather doesn't look too great :( oh well.

Another question, is Mt Damper Road effectively no exit now? I've got WAMS map showing the road going right through there but using the satellite photos seems to suggest that the eastern end of it peters out in the bush?
  16. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    That end of the road is a dead end. There was a way through it many years ago as it was used in one of Bruce Marshalls Tunnel Tour adv rides. I think it was so bit of a bog hole. Mangapapa rd takes you all the way over Mt Damper and joins Moki rd.
    dazzadm likes this.
  17. Micawberism

Oddometer:
    The Old Mt Damper Rd should be considered impassable (excepts for naughty people on small bikes with good tyres). There are two concrete side bridges in the Tangarakau Gorge. The first as you enter the Gorge from the Moki Rd end, the second is between that one and Morgans Grave. On the Stratford side of that bridge is the Old Mt Damper Rd end. Take a short walk (100 mtrs will do) and you will see why it was abandoned. It kept slipping into the river.
    On the top end you can still go down almost to the Tangarakau end however they are logging in there at present and loggers make their own rules about roads.

It is also as slippery as shit :-)

About halfway down is an eight metre waterfall.
    dazzadm and DLRuapuke like this.
  18. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Colin where is "Bexleys"?

Isn't there a Bexley Station Awakino way?
  19. Micawberism

Oddometer:
    Bexley Station it is Mike, Apparently the tunnel was caused by a natural event.
  20. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So we (Leanne and I) had a cunning plan for a day out riding with Phreaky Phil and Dawn. IMG_2116.JPG It was a beautiful day and we met Phil and Dawn at Z in Inglewood.

A great start, we checked the maps and were soon on our way to the Huinga tunnel. KT travelled about 10 m across the forecourt and stopped. Luckily Phil and Dawn realised we weren't behind them and came back to see what was happening.
    IMG_2117.JPG
    Everything pointed to a flat battery. Quite strange as the bike does live on a battery tender in the garage. We weren't going to let that stop us so Phil played "international rescue" and came back with a car and trailer and we took the bike home in disgrace!

So we decided to drive the route instead.
    BygDaddee likes this.